1/144 Authentic Airliners British Airways Vickers Viscount

Stunning!!  Had to study them for a while to soak up the atmosphere of Heathrow back in the day of the Queens Building viewing area.

Not only the model looks perfect, but the Little scene you created makes it a real masterpiece! Something to learn from…

The kit is also in my stash, waiting to touch superglue. When it will be finished, I will use the spare Propellers for the S&M kit.

So many plans...

16 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Somehow missed this one Ian, anther nice job there. The GSE and ground crew set it off nicely

Thanks Ray. As I think I mentioned earlier the van needs finishing off as I've noticed there are a couple of details missing. I'll have it ready for it's next outing!

14 hours ago, Paul J said:

Stunning!! 

Cheers Paul, that's the kind of appreciation I like!

14 hours ago, Paul J said:

atmosphere of Heathrow back in the day of the Queens Building viewing area.

14 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

spectator's terrace on the Link Building at Dublin Airport circa mid 1970s.

Although it's not completely accurate it is in fact based on the apron at Newcastle in the late 70's. But it's nice to know I've evoked some good memories!

14 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Where do you get your figures from?

Hi Eric,

I've had these figures for years. They are from a Preiser airline personnel set. Quite difficult to find now I think.

4 hours ago, _alfisti_ said:

Wow, great job on this tiny model. In the first pic it looks nearly like a real aircraft on the apron.

Thanks _alfisti_ yes that's the level of realism I'm trying to achieve!

4 hours ago, NorbertBu said:

Not only the model looks perfect......

The kit is also in my stash, waiting to touch superglue. When it will be finished, I will use the spare Propellers for the S&M kit.

Hi Norbert,

Thank you for your praise!

Looking forward to seeing your Viscount when it's finished. Why do you want to use the S&M propellers? They are very thick and will need lots of thinning down, easier to use the AA ones.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/06/2019 at 23:31, Graeme H said:

What a beauty, love the finish on the cowls

Thanks Graeme. I was going to use AA High Shine Metallic Decal but chickened out and just painted them with Mr Metal Color Aluminium. The details are either small decals or lines drawn on with a sharp soft pencil.

On 13/06/2019 at 08:05, NorbertBu said:

There are two different types of Propellers in the AA kit. I will use them for the S&M kit. You are Right, the S&M Propellers are way too thick!

Sorry, I misunderstood you Norbert, I thought you wanted to use the S&M ones on your AA kit!

On 13/06/2019 at 08:27, petetasker said:

Lovely model. Brings back happy memories plane spotting as a kid at Ringway (Manchester Airport) in the early 70’s.

Thanks Pete, yes me too the thing was at the time I wasn't interested in those old prop planes I just wanted to watch the jets, oh how I'd love to see and hear a Viscount now though!!I

On 13/06/2019 at 14:56, FortyEighter said:

Another beautiful model Ian.

As others have said, the diorama gives the photos atmosphere and I love the finish on the engines.

Mike

Cheers Mike. It's not very often I include other aircraft in the background of my photos but I've now got nearly all the BA Negus fleet so it seemed like a good idea to get them out again!

On 13/06/2019 at 23:41, Murdo said:

Love it!!!!!

Thank you Murdo! Can't ask for much more than that!

On 14/06/2019 at 07:05, Bill.B said:

Excellent job! Very well done. :yes:

Cheers Bill, it does make it easier to start with an excellent kit like the AA one though.

On 25/06/2019 at 22:16, woody37 said:

It’s tempting me to get an airliner on the bench...something needs to be 😂

Go on Neil, you know you want to! I could do with an empty bench at the moment, I've got 10 on the go!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/3/2019 at 12:56 PM, Terry1954 said:

An absolute beauty Ian. You certainly have a way of bringing these 1/144 airliners to life!

I must agree! Many years ago, when I was just a kid, I recall seeing a Continental Airlines Viscount during a night engine start. My recollection is that the plane looked smart in its Continental colors and it was L-O-U-D!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Apologies in exhuming an old thread, but @Turbofan was the AA Viscount the two or three piece fuselage and how did you address the join(s).

Tommo.

Hi Tommo,

Not a problem it's nice to see it again!

This one was the two piece fuselage which I joined with superglue. As far as I can remember there was very little tidying up to do.

On 27/06/2019 at 00:11, phil1 said:

absolutely fantastic Ian, unlike a lot of people I really like the Negus livery. these examples are simply superb

phil

Thanks Phil, sorry I didn't see your post first time around!

Not sure if you've seen my latest addition to the fleet?

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235072809-1144-authentic-airliners-british-airways-boeing-747-100/&tab=comments#comment-3677466

3 hours ago, Paulaero said:

That's very very nice, I have a BM one to do from a Welsh kit but the AA decals make all the difference. Accompanying jets are a bonus   

Thank you Paul. Yes I've got a BM on the go too using the classic-airlines.com decal.

Regarding AA decals I can't recommend them highly enough and use them in all my builds.

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

I must agree! Many years ago, when I was just a kid, I recall seeing a Continental Airlines Viscount during a night engine start. My recollection is that the plane looked smart in its Continental colors and it was L-O-U-D!

Thanks! Yes Continental was a smart livery very similar, if not identical, to Channel Airways if I recall correctly.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan

Ah, OK. Mine has 3 piece fuselage with the rear section being made of less dense resin to prevent it being a tailsitter. The pieces are a good fit but the mid section is a tad wider than the other two which means a bit more cleaning up than I would have liked given the exquisite and restrained detail I'll be have to be careful not to lose.

The date on the mailer the kit came in dates from August 08, so it must be one of the first Kurt produced.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

11 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Ah, OK. Mine has 3 piece fuselage with the rear section being made of less dense resin to prevent it being a tailsitter. The pieces are a good fit but the mid section is a tad wider than the other two which means a bit more cleaning up than I would have liked given the exquisite and restrained detail I'll be have to be careful not to lose.

The date on the mailer the kit came in dates from August 08, so it must be one of the first Kurt produced.

Tommo.

Yes I have one of Kurt's early 3 piece Viscount's which is destined to be finished in British Midland livery. It's still in primer and has been for nearly 10 years but I can't remember any problems with the fuselage. I doubt it's anything major as there's no sign of any steps under the primer. Must get round to finishing it some day!! 

Cheers,

Ian

2 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Yes I have one of Kurt's early 3 piece Viscount's which is destined to be finished in British Midland livery. It's still in primer and has been for nearly 10 years but I can't remember any problems with the fuselage. I doubt it's anything major as there's no sign of any steps under the primer. Must get round to finishing it some day!! 

Cheers,

Ian

However I lined up the nose section to the centre section I was left with a very slight step, so I made sure the top surfaces lined through and went for it . My fears were not fully realised as some abrading with 12000 and 25000 W&D wet brought it in to true and is was not a great hassle to scribe the missing panel lines. I used marine epoxy to allow me to align/adjust the fuselage sections whilst it was curing.  My initial thoughts were I had abraded one of the section too far back removing the pour stubs, despite being very careful to bring it to a straight line I had drawn. As the panel lines aligned perfectly I suspect that the resin at the pour end may have slightly expanded on my copy. But I'm really happy with the end result. The tail section looks like it will be a better fit.

Incidentally I contacted Kurt not so long back about the Viscount and he has no intention of bringing it back into production as he said it sold very poorly only selling a handful of copies.

My intention is to finish it in the TAA livery, I have a set of Hawkeye decals winging there way to me from Auz as I write.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

54 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Incidentally I contacted Kurt not so long back about the Viscount and he has no intention of bringing it back into production as he said it sold very poorly only selling a handful of copies.

My intention is to finish it in the TAA livery, I have a set of Hawkeye decals winging there way to me from Auz as I write.

I was very surprised his Viscount sold so badly as it is a very accurate kit and at the time there was only the Welsh vacform as competition. Now there are the F-RSIN and Eastern Express IM kits.

At least Werner is still supplying his window decals!

Looking forward to your TAA example. 

48 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

Excellent work and presentation !

Wulfman

Thanks Wulfman glad you like it, it was part of my project to model the entire BA Negus fleet.

Cheers,

Ian