Tornado Gr.4 weapon color info

Eli Raphael

ALARM Light aircraft Grey BS 627 . Golden yellow  HE hazard band and Dark Earth  Low explosive band on rocket motor.

PW II Deep bronze Green BS 224 Bomb and front part of tail, US Olive Drab Guidance and rear part of tail unit.  yellow  HE hazard band.

Don;t know for TIALD !

Selwyn  

I know during initial use in Operation Granby (aka Gulf War I) the TIALD pods were gloss white, but this was essentially still in trials phase (IIRC there were only two pods in theater).

Later photos on Tornado seem to show either green or gray, the latter seeming to match the overall aiframe color on late GR.4s.

As a side question possibly relevant to its inclusion on a model, am I correct in understanding that by the GR.4 era these pods were no longer frontline kit, but only used for training?

16 hours ago, CT7567 said:

I know during initial use in Operation Granby (aka Gulf War I) the TIALD pods were gloss white, but this was essentially still in trials phase (IIRC there were only two pods in theater).

Later photos on Tornado seem to show either green or gray, the latter seeming to match the overall aiframe color on late GR.4s.

As a side question possibly relevant to its inclusion on a model, am I correct in understanding that by the GR.4 era these pods were no longer frontline kit, but only used for training?

TIALD was still in use up to the mid- to late-2000s, when it was replaced with LITENING III. It was still in frontline service during Op. Telic. 

As far as colours go, from looking at photographs I would hazard a guess at either Medium Sea Grey or Dark Sea Grey. 

23 hours ago, CT7567 said:

In Op Granby both Sandra and Tracy (The pods) were painted in Desert pink apart from the actual turret which was white.

• Like 1