Vampire FB.5

stevehnz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hard to believe that I haven't updated (or worked on) this for over 7 weeks. Even harder to believe that not one mod has come near me in that time to find out what I've been up to, how does that make me feel. :crying: :P 

Anyway, I had the Dark Sea grey on about the time I did likewise with my Sharkmouth build & then I parked this to finish that, & then....life has been just bloody unco-operative. :( 

DSCF3017

Since then have marked up for some green, which I now have on it too after my thread about Vampire camo patterns.

DSCF3018

Luckily I recalled some Modeldecals I had, originally bought for the Belgian Avro markings but also containing some Vampire markings & a camo layout. Its near enough to my mind.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 10

We all knew you’ve been secretly working away at this, what with the other camo threads and all, I knew you were onto something... and Pat’s the Bad Cop remember so he’s the one with the Big GB stick, not I.. 

She’s looking great Steve so keep going buddy and get her finished before the 20th. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 3

Wished that I'd known I'd been secretly working away at it, I might not have panicked quite so much. :D  I won't deny the extensions were welcome, though I like to think I might have managed to sneak in anyway, I can crank up under pressure.  Hopefully I can finish it without too big a panic now.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hi Steve,

Looking good. I am still debating whether to build my Xtrakit Vampire FB 5 in silver or camo so I will be interested to see how yours looks. Having done the Meteor IV in silver, I may do the F 8 in camo with silver undersides, and I suspect the Vamp will end up silver too as it saves painting the skinny tail booms in 3 colours.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Yes I will be continuing with the build in WiP. I took a step back with it tonight and added more putty around that joint. Hopefully that will do the trick. By the weekend I should have the undercoat on.

• Like 1

Wasn't looking at anyone in particular Pat. <_<  :D 

Some good progress the last couple of days, all the decals on now & the little bits painted ready to glue into place so I'm feeling a bit upbeat about this now, I'm back on nights but only two this time so I'll have time to sort this before the deadline I'm pretty sure.

Steve.

DSCF3020

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 5

Always great to see nice bright type D roundels whacked on an airframe and it looks like this little Vamp is well and truly on the home stretch. Well done Steve! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

Done now, just a couple in here  the rest in the Gallery, I'll also do a RFI with this one & the Revell one I did for the Sharkmouth GB, as the photos in the gallery were kack, not sure the ones I have are much better. :unsure:

DSCF3021

DSCF3024

Thanks @JOCKNEY @Rabbit Leader &  @vppelt68 for the encourage, cajoling & harassment, it has all been appreciated & necessary in like amount. :)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 9

Well done Steve, so good to have at least one of the four Vampires making it into the gallery. She’s turned out very well for the old kit that she is, so three big ticks from me. Don’t you just love applying those underwing serials all over the open gear doors, I don’t think the MoD thought about us poor modellers when they dreamt up that idea? 

Cheers, thanks for taking part and adding your comments throughout this GB.. Dave 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Don’t you just love applying those underwing serials all over the open gear doors

I found that by using a method I'd read about on  here some time in the past, it was not too much of hassle. Place doors into position in U/C bay opening, held in place by a blob of white tac (what I had), place decals in correct position & then cut around the door openings with a sharp pointed blade when they're well dry (next day is good) & voila, decals in the right place, at least that's how it worked on both my Vampires. I used my preferred technique of bedding them with Klear & had no hassles freeing the doors after cutting around the decals. Likewise, the white tac (Uhu brand) was happy to allow the doors to be lifted away, after being in place for a couple of week in the case of this one. I had been advised that Blue Tac could set a bit hard.

Steve

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

Lovely Job Steve

All your hard work has been rewarded, as this one looks the absolute  business.

Thanks very much for the tip on the underwing serial numbers thats a keeper to go in the memory for another day.

Ill nip across now to the gallery to savour the rest of the pictures. 

Kindest regards Pat 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Steve, that technique is a good one however IIRC the Airfix twin seat Vampire has some retract actuators pre-attached to the door so it’s quite a challenge applying serials that way. Most of the time it’s not an issue but always a little frustrating when happens.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

some retract actuators pre-attached to the door

Some amputation & reattachment might be required, I'm keen to do more Vampires now I've done these two, a couple of Kiwi ones await, sometime soon I hope.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1