363P - Handley Page Dart Herald

zebra

11 hours ago, zebra said:

Props done (almost - need to give them a clear coat). 

Herald props

OK - I think you're taking this 'Zebra' thing a little too far Julian! 

Cheers and nicely done.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice masking on the props Julian, looks very effective

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

OK - I think you're taking this 'Zebra' thing a little too far Julian! 

Cheers and nicely done.. Dave 

Thanks! No masking involved! Didn’t want to have to deal with the inevitable bleed under the edges so used thin strips of black decal for the edges then painted in between. Only 48 strips of decal involved! It was time consuming but kind of relaxing in a very strange way.

@Rabbit Leader the zebra thing didn’t occur to me! I just had to use this pattern - I don’t think all Heralds had it so there would have been an easier but more boring option - but I remember it on the Heralds I flew on all those years ago, so the boring option was never going to happen.

• Like 4

Finished! More photos in the gallery.

Air UK Herald - Novo 1/72

I've enjoyed this one. Thanks everyone for the comments along the way. As this was the only Frog kit in the stash, that's it for this GB for me so I'm going to be cracking on with the Phantom and the flying boats in other GBs.

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 13

Excellent build and fantastic effort getting this finished. Has to be one of the most handsome models and liveries to grace these pages in quite a while. Impressive stuff Julian and a big thanks for taking part in this classic and amazingly popular GB. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Lovely result!

I have to admit I stumbled on this by accident, but I’m glad I did!

i once flew Norwich to Amsterdam in an AirUK Herald - normally the airline used F.27s on that route.  I’ve watched the work going on with Duxford’s example.  Reading your thread gave me the idea I could build one.  That is, until I looked on eBay and saw the prices, for both Novo and Maquette examples.  Ho hum!,,

Jonny

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Reading your thread gave me the idea I could build one.  That is, until I looked on eBay and saw the prices, for both Novo and Maquette examples.  Ho hum!,,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-72-NOVO-box-ONLY-F363-Handley-Page-Dart-Herald-WITHOUT-model/183788027973?epid=642563219&hash=item2aca9ec045:g:K9kAAOSwiSJbjQHz

Worth a punt Jonny?

1 minute ago, Vicarage Vee said:

I saw that too and got quite excited ... then realised it’s box only!

Thanks, anyway VV

13 hours ago, Jonny said:

Lovely result!

I have to admit I stumbled on this by accident, but I’m glad I did!

i once flew Norwich to Amsterdam in an AirUK Herald - normally the airline used F.27s on that route.  I’ve watched the work going on with Duxford’s example.  Reading your thread gave me the idea I could build one.  That is, until I looked on eBay and saw the prices, for both Novo and Maquette examples.  Ho hum!,,

Jonny

Thanks Jonny

They do pop up at ok prices from time to time - I was looking for one for a while until I found this one. Can't remember what I paid for it now though.

13 hours ago, Vicarage Vee said:

Good grief. That's a lot of money for an empty Novo box!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Grandboof said:

Great livery An F27 would look good beside it Just Saying Well done 

Martin H

Well I do have a couple of Airfix Friendships and some more Air UK decals in the stash...

• 1 year later...
On 07/09/2019 at 15:18, zebra said:

Blue and red paint done. A few touch-ups needed, but I think I'll paint the grey bits (wings, nacelles, tailplanes, underside) first.

Herald WIP

That is really looking the part! I'm desperately trying to hunt a copy of the kit down..!!

• Like 2