363P - Handley Page Dart Herald

zebra

Steve,

Not difficult as there are so many builds now, not all of them yours! I only do a thorough check once a week as it is rather time consuming, not that I am complaining of course.

Pete

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! 

8 hours ago, PeterB said:

Steve,

Not difficult as there are so many builds now, not all of them yours! I only do a thorough check once a week as it is rather time consuming, not that I am complaining of course.

Pete

You’re not wrong there Pete! I can’t keep up with this GB! Normally I’d like to be a bit more of an active participant but every time I look there seems to be another page of new posts. So apologies to everyone whose builds I’ve just liked rather than commented on - there just isn’t enough time in the day!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This weekend's modelling has mostly been focused on getting the F-105G in the Sharkmouths GB finished on time, but I have also pressed on with painting the Herald. So here's a not-particularly-exciting photo of the Herald with white paint on the bits that will end up white, and white primer on the other bits, so the whole thing looks white! It'll start to get more colourful soon.

Herald WIP

• Like 8

That looks a bit of 'all- white' to me! 

This is looking good Z, I had no idea those inboard sides of the engines were shaped that way? I suspect this is some type of intake? I agree, a bit of colour will spruce this one up nicely. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The original Herald had 4 Leonides engines because market research said that the airline customers didn't want turboprops.    Something to recall the next time you hear the mantra "the market is always right".  With the switch to the Darts larger propellers were needed so the engine had to move outboard but to avoid massive redesign costs the main undercarriage stayed where it was, giving the step in the plan view.  So yes, use it for an intake.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I've got the wings and engines painted, some touch-ups done, and some decals on. Decals are on one side only so far, and I need to do the door outlines and escape hatches - will probably get the rest done tomorrow, plus a few more touch-ups. Getting close to the finish line!

Herald WIP

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 15

Nice very very nice!  

I think though it sums me up that the one I have in the "Stash" is destined for a shortening and reengining with four Alvis Leonides engines in Queensland Airlines colours!  

0743-01-1-2.jpg

HP-Herald-07.jpg

EDIT

It actually has been discussed here before

Edited by Rob S
EDIT
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2019 at 12:18 AM, zebra said:

Herald WIP

I was going to say without the Props it looks like it's Jet Powered and then remembered there was a proposal for a jet powered Herald!  

https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1962/1962 - 1909.pdf  

and even more on this Site

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/handley-page-hp-127-jet-herald-proposal.3108/ 

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2019 at 8:28 PM, zebra said:

It's a bit of a funny kit. Some of it fits well, some of it doesn't. Wings went on ok but needed some filler, whereas the front part of each nacelle was nowhere near an acceptable fit with the rear part and needed some fettling, sanding and filling to get there.

Maybe Frog originally designed the kit for four Leonides engines!  

• Haha 1

Thanks for your comments everyone! 

@Rob S I’d love to see that conversion done. The thread you linked to was interesting - one post said that some of the Darr Heralds had provisions for Leonides in the wings! HP seem to have really struggled to let go of the piston engine!

Just noticed from pictures of the real thing that the intake on the fin shouldn’t be there. Ah well, not removing it now. My defence will be that it was a deliberately OOB build - no doubt there are plenty of other things to fix. So onwards and upwards. Next jobs will be to finish decals and touch-ups, then paint the undercarriage and the slightly scary black and white striped props.

cheers

Julian

• Like 2

That’s looking lovely and for me a weird sense of deja vu! I built one of these (Russian Frogspawn) in the late 80s in Air UK livery to remind me of Channel Island holidays.

It is actually a nice kit to build, nice and solid too! The exhausts were the most obvious area for improvement if I recall correctly. 

Cracking job Julian.

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2019 at 10:19 AM, zebra said:

@Rob S I’d love to see that conversion done.

Me too!  Especially before I get anywhere near having a go at it!  

On 9/13/2019 at 10:19 AM, zebra said:

The thread you linked to was interesting - one post said that some of the Darr Heralds had provisions for Leonides in the wings! HP seem to have really struggled to let go of the piston engine!

I think that may be due to the fact that the particular Airline quoted that the person worked for had all very early Construction examples that were probably started as Leonides engined versions as given by the following Construction Numbers

https://rzjets.net/aircraft/?typeid=124  

If the beginning in terms of batch production was anything like the end of the story where six 700 series airframes were started and then scrapped I'd guess that after the first two (147 and 148) the next six (149 to 154) were most likely started as Leonides engined examples and then finished as Dart engined examples which appears to cover all those operated by the particular Airline quoted.  

• Like 1