Navy Trainer, Firefly T2

Hi all

Completed the lovely Special Hobby Firefly T2, this is a nice kit to build and consists of the usual injection Moulded plastic, resin and phot etched bits.  I enjoyed building this very much and will now attempt a T5 from the Special Hobby Mk5 Firefly kit and Pavla Firefly Kit which gives you all the bits to make a Mk1 or a T1/2 or a TT variant, so will use the rear cockpit section of this also.

I have kept the weathering to an absolute minimum as they appeared to be kept quite clean, with just a bit of exhaust staining and oil leaking underneath.  The kit does have some rather nice details and they can be seen on the WIP thread if you want to. 

The model was brush painted in Humbrol 56 Aluminium and 24 Trainer Yellow, brushed over with several coats of Klear prior to decaling.  The Kit decals are superb and behave very well and are very thin too The Etched details are very nice (and fiddley, with the carpet monster devouring one of the rear view mirrors)

Hope you enjoy the photos

48de75f3-d0cd-4556-9ac6-f3c40550460c.jpg

342fa3de-00e1-4f0b-a1ac-d98b8959781d.jpg

85feb5f8-470f-459b-8614-f578df638a0c.JPG

b6fbaabe-228e-448c-839f-c9abb30a1732.jpg

b6202e7a-4cbe-4423-be09-8f74eccc305d.jpg

6705edef-da49-4e5a-9022-1ce4a33a0cdd.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

All the best

Chris

• Like 29

36 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Great job Chris not often we see any Firefly let alone the trainer.

Thanks Steve, I love the look of the Firefly and the unusual look of the trainer too and so when I saw this kit, it had to be bought. It will look great together with the Seafury T20 and Airspeed Oxford T2 and eventually Firefly T5 on my shelf when I finally finish the house and then mancave.

35 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice, Chris. Something different :)

Maryin

Thanks Martin, Ahh yes I love the unusual. It does look kind of odd, but in a nice way if you catch my drift.

Thanks and all the best

Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I've been looking forward to this showing up here, a lovely job on it Chris & its nice to have a good report on the kit.

Steve.

Hi Steve

Hope you are well. Thank you, it does seem odd not to have it on the bench now as it is very pleasing on the eye, but needs must and the Blackburn Shark is now underway for the Frog GB. The kit was a joy to build and went together very  well and has some great detailing.

Thanks and all the best

Chris

• Like 1

The colour scheme looks good and the brushed finish looks very nice indeed. Fairey did like their tandem cockpit arrangement - I remember the Airfix Magazine had a conversion article for the Battle trainer back in the late 1960s.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FatFlyHalf said:

Something different.  Nice one.

Thank you for your kind comments.

47 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

The colour scheme looks good and the brushed finish looks very nice indeed. Fairey did like their tandem cockpit arrangement - I remember the Airfix Magazine had a conversion article for the Battle trainer back in the late 1960s.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, very kind. Yes they did seem to. I can't wait to start on the T5 now.  I would have liked to see the article.

31 minutes ago, Ad-4N said:

In one hundred years I couldn't brush paint that well.  Superb job!!!!!!!!!!  😀

Thanks Ad-4N, it's not a hard thing to achieve. I paint in Humbrol Enamel paint and thin it a bit, not too much though and paint smaller areas usually up to the edge of the wing or depending on the size of the model a panel at a time, brushing in one direction generally. This changes if doing the second colour of a Camouflage scheme. The paint is still thinned but only after the edges of the second colour are almost drybrushed on to creat a misted edge.  It sounds much harder than it is. There are a few great brush painters on the forum.

Give it a go, it's quite therapeutic to slowly paint something this way.

All the best

Chris

Managed to catch this in the WIP recently and was most impressed. Seeing it here now complete confirms what a lovely job you have done Chris. Can't believe its brush painted, so good! A very smart addition to any Royal Navy collection or any Fairey collection, or any collection at all!

Terry

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Managed to catch this in the WIP recently and was most impressed. Seeing it here now complete confirms what a lovely job you have done Chris. Can't believe its brush painted, so good! A very smart addition to any Royal Navy collection or any Fairey collection, or any collection at all!

Terry

Thanks Terry, very kind words indeed.  I have a great fondness for all FAA Aircraft and am looking forward to getting this and the other Navy Trainer Aircraft on display in the mancave when it is complete.

Thanks again

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Christer A said:

I must say you did a splendid job on a not so eady kit!

Excellent finish too :)

Thanks Christa, it actually went together very well indeed, not a shake and bake but as long as you take your time and test fit it's fine.

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

That's brush-painted? No way! Outstanding build, and I love your choice of scheme and markings! Methinks you have been corrupted by @tonyot ! Well done, sir!

Mike

Thanks 72 modeler, I have never used an airbrush and don't have a compressor (well only a big one in the garage for doing stuff on the car). Tony's builds are very inspirational and I like a lot of the same types, I do like modelling FAA machines in particular. Currently doing a Blackburn Shark.

Thanks and all the best

Chris

Chris,

Since you have that big air compressor already, if you can get a discarded 3 or 5 gallon portable  freon tank from an a/c service shop, you can slap a regulator on it and viola- a very cheap and quiet source of air for an airbrush- you can recharge it from your big compressor. I used one I made for a couple of years until I could afford a pancake tank air compressor that wasn't so big and noisy that it set Mrs. 72Modeler off! Ooh, I love the old Shark- I have two Frog kits, but haven't gotten up the nerve to give them the updating and detailing that they deserve! Can't wait to see yours!

Mike

• Thanks 1

That is gorgeous Chris,..... bloody superb job mate,......... you really should be very, very proud indeed of that one,....... it`s a bit special!

Cheers

Tony  

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Chris,

Since you have that big air compressor already, if you can get a discarded 3 or 5 gallon portable  freon tank from an a/c service shop, you can slap a regulator on it and viola- a very cheap and quiet source of air for an airbrush- you can recharge it from your big compressor. I used one I made for a couple of years until I could afford a pancake tank air compressor that wasn't so big and noisy that it set Mrs. 72Modeler off! Ooh, I love the old Shark- I have two Frog kits, but haven't gotten up the nerve to give them the updating and detailing that they deserve! Can't wait to see yours!

Mike

Thanks Mike that sounds interesting. I will bank that and maybe when I complete the mancave I may look at that idea. Although I do enjoy the brushwork. I am currently working on a very small temporary bench in our bedroom so no chance of spraying , I would really be in trouble !!!  I do occasionally use a rattle can if doing a white fuselage for a civil aircraft.   Thanks for the Idea

32 minutes ago, tonyot said:

That is gorgeous Chris,..... bloody superb job mate,......... you really should be very, very proud indeed of that one,....... it`s a bit special!

Cheers

Tony  

Thanks Tony that's very kind of you and means a great deal to me, I am very pleased with it and look forward to starting the T5, although I am doing a Blackburn Shark in the Frog GB at the mo so may have to wait until I get a bit further in that build first.

Thanks fella

All the best

Chris

• Like 1