Tamiya Matt coat goes white!

Telboy3510

Hi, I wonder if anybody else has come across this problem and can tell me the solution.

My last 2 models have been painted using Tamiya and or Valejo acrylics in the same way as I have painted all my models, 2 coats of pledge wax prior to applying the decals and another 2 coats of pledge before applying Tamiya Matt coat as I normally do.

Here's the problem, as soon as I have applied the Matt coat using the airbrush the model looks like its covered in salt residue, which could not be rectified no matter what method I tried.

After it happened on the first model, I ensured that all my equipment was impeccably clean before spraying, new matt coat on the second model.

I would have posted pictures but unfortunately both models ended up in the bin in a fit of temper.

So if anybody has any answers I'd be really grateful, I have thrown the bottle of Pledge because that's the only common denominator.

• Sad 1

I use to have this and it was usually too much sprayed on, or you’ve got moisture somewhere.

Steve.

Winsor and Newton Galleria Matt - the only matt coat I've found that goes completely matt and stays clear - EVERY TIME

I tried - Humbrol / Tamiya / Vallejo / Mig - the lot basically - then someone on here told me about the Galleria - it really is the business.

HTH - Steve

Are you sure it was the flat varnish and not the flat base that you used?

The difference being you add the flat base to gloss Tamiya paints to turn them Matt , probably teaching you to suck eggs but worth the ask. Tamiya flat base will bloom every time unless added to another colour. 

28 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Winsor and Newton Galleria Matt - the only matt coat I've found that goes completely matt and stays clear - EVERY TIME

I tried - Humbrol / Tamiya / Vallejo / Mig - the lot basically - then someone on here told me about the Galleria - it really is the business.

HTH - Steve

I second Galleria Flat. Great stuff 

Cheers

Collin

• Thanks 1

Possible explanation for the change in result: previously you didn't mix the clear well enough for all of the flattening agent to "dissolve". You sprayed what was mostly thinner and binding agent on the model and most of the flattening agent remained in the bottle. Now you have an improper ratio of flattening agent to thinner and/or binding agent which results in a white-ish final coat. You could try to add some more thinner to the bottle and do some test sprays on a Buster to see if it worked.

Alternatively the change in weather can also affect the result (humidity/temperature). I get very different results when the season changes unless I adapt the mixes. For example: the thinner tends to evaporate faster because of the increased temperature and you're having to spray a thicker mix that can actually dry in mid air before hitting the model.

Edited by bmwh548

If you're using Tamiya X-21 Flat Base, then as noted by @bmwh548, you could have too much of the flat base. I don't use the stuff, but I've repeatedly read that it's an additive, not intended to be used directly. 

I use Microscale Micro Flat. Sprays on beautifully, it's the flattest finish I've found. I also use their Micro Satin. For gloss, I use Mr Color C46 or sometimes Tamiya X-22.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/06/2019 at 20:09, Collin said:

I second Galleria Flat. Great stuff 

Cheers

Collin

I can third Galleria, both matt and gloss.