wiring of smd's

bob123

Hi all, I'm looking for some advise on fitting smd's to my 1/24 scale fire engine. Firstly what is the best way to strip the plastic covering from the wire seeing as it is the thickness of a human hair I seem to keep snapping it. Will I be able to solder with this thin wire and should I use heat shrink for connecting longer wires to them please.

Depending on the wiring you use it can be burnt free with a liberal amount of solder, flux and heat. I use this in electronics work when working with super thin transformer wire which is enamel coated. Works also with wirewrapping wires. My way is preparing the wire ends by heating and tinning, then attaching to the component. If you need to solder those super thin wires to something larger then first heat the large part till the tin melts, then place the pre-tinned small one, giving it just enough additional time to melt the pretinning. In general be liberal with flux when working with smd parts.

Also take care: SMD parts are pretty sensible to heat as they don't have a large termal mass. They are easily destroyed when heated too long. This can be invisible internal damage to actual destroying of the contacts.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...