P40B Tomahawk F197 1969

TonyW

Two steps forward, one step back...

It looks like this one is on the back burner for a while again.

Despite my best efforts the decals beat me. I'm pretty sure they are Novo ones Pete, I've never had these problems with FROG ones.

The roundels went on OK ish, cracking into pieces but still capable of being jigsawed into place. They are really thin, with not a lot of saturation to the white. The big 38 fuselage number refused to play and shattered beyond rescue. Ditto the First Aid decal and the kill markings. The nose 38 went on OK and looks good. The blue tail band went on in about five bits, but looks fine. I have no confidence in the sharkmouths cooperating, so it's back in the line for this build.

IMG-7957.jpg

It's not all doom and gloom though. Thanks to Petes generosity with the decals in the first place, the plane got its cammo applied in preparation for the markings. It's now all good to go once the decal problem is sorted.  This one will be there at the finish, just not as soon as I anticipated.

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Sad 4

19 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Revell Aqua paints are worth getting used to IMHO because they give a wonderful self-levelling brushed on finish and I haven’t hit a dud or gritty one yet (unlike Humbrol). 

I don’t want to sound anti-Humbrol but they have had a lot of problems with quality

Regards,

Adrian

I've used Humbrol enamels all my modelling life and the early stuff still works fine for me. The recent paints seem very hit and miss and I've stopped buying them.

The Revell Aquacolours you put me on to are rapidly becoming my weapon of choice. It's a whole new world of application methods and I'll admit to struggling a bit with the stuff. Getting it right is very rewarding though. The RAF colours look spot on to me. Slightly richer than Humbrol, I like the look a lot.

Tony.

• Like 1

Ok, Sorry about that Tony - still have a couple of sets of Hobby Boss Tiger decs if you are prepared to go for non Frog. They do work.

tiger

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Thanks Pete, but I'll hold fire until a FROG set turn up. I quite like the idea of having a built up series of FROG P40's in all their different schemes and boxes and I'm part way there at the moment. 

Tony.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I'm in the process of trying to rescue this stalled build, with mixed results.

IMG-9468.jpg

The wing markings have been replaced with a couple stolen from a FROG P38 sheet. They are a bit dark, but much better than the very thin NOVO ones that were on there. The sharkmouth came from an ESCI sheet, origins long forgotten. The eyes will need replacing but I should be able to paint them in without too much cussing. I'll also have to add a bit of red to the mouth which will need a steady hand. The No38 on the fuselage sides has been hand painted and it shows! A bit of touch up required there for sure. This one will be a back of the cabinet job by the look of it, but I would like to get it to the finish line for the GB. The Kittyhawk next to it in the picture is nearly done now and should also end up in the GB Gallery.

P40's rock!

• Like 9

Nice to the see the early P-40B again Tony. This really does deserve to be finished so hopefully it will and you can happily say you’ve completed the whole Frog P-40 set. 

Cheers.. Dave 

5 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice to the see the early P-40B again Tony. This really does deserve to be finished so hopefully it will and you can happily say you’ve completed the whole Frog P-40 set. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Not quite Dave, there's the second Tomahawk scheme still to do. It's yet another Western Desert one though and I'm less than enthusiastic about doing a third like that! I do have an unbuilt mint FROG header kit but the collector in me won't allow me to open it thankfully. 😁

Here's the schemes on a NOVO header...

IMG-7518.jpg

• Like 3

The planets must be in alignment at the moment as I've just had a phone call from Mike, the mate who found the Commer van for my FROG Comet build. He's now found me a set of decals for this build! It looks like Cinderella will be going to the Ball after all!

Thanks Mike.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

The on again, off again Tomahawk is very nearly done now. Just enough done today to justify a post before the final chapter tomorrow.

The decals that Mike Dean tracked down for me turned up this afternoon. Work started immediately, no time to loose here. I've added as many decals as is safe for one sitting, I can't take any chances at this stage of the game. They went on beautifully, no trouble whatsoever.

IMG-9790.jpg

The white area behind the canopy is Glue 'n Glaze, I've lost the clear side panels, a few coats of the white stuff will have to do for this area. The busted prop will get fixed as well.

This one should be finished and in the Gallery by tomorrow.

That leaves the Comet, no problem, and the Emily. Big problem.

See the Emily thread for details.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 6

Another one bites the dust! I'm calling this one done now.

Thanks Mike and Pete for coming to the rescue with decals for the build. The build wouldn't have happened without you.

There's a ton of tiny tidy ups that I really should do, re-paint the prop blades, touch up the tail in places and so on. No time though, the end is near, so a halt has been made. 

The Chinese roundels were a swine to photograph. They insisted on washing right out and looking nothing like the roundels in front of me. I've cheated a bit here and boosted the blue in photoshop to match the tail band. The tailband shows true blue in my pictures! The inner blue circle of the roundels has been left alone to show how pale the original was.  I think the white areas of the roundels must confuse the meter on my camera. I tried flash, no flash and all kinds of settings and lighting but couldn't get everything in the one shot. The plane got a coat of old Humbrol enamel matt clear to tie everything together. It has dried in a satin finish and slightly darkened the colours,  Result!

Anyway, enough waffle. Here's the finished plane...

IMG-9824.jpg

I'll get a few more shots in the Gallery ASAP.

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 8

Congratulations Tony

Im really pleased you got the decals you were looking for to complete your Frog P-40 collection. 

Ive got an old British standard beige version of this kit but need to find decals for it or equivalents. Now ive seen how good the flying tiger version looks thats the one for me.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great going Tony. This one was on my 'at risk' list, however I'm so glad to see it finished and in the Gallery. You'e had an epic GB so let's now all hold our breaths for the final reveal? 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1