Tarmac experiment

Had a thought pop into my head at work the other day, black nitrile rubber dust from sanding down cores to moulds could possibly become tarmac? 

20190529_181243

It's a black squishy powder that can be manipulated and sort of sculpted. It's already been vulcanised. 

20190529_181258

Rolled out flat onto a board

20190529_181613

Smeared with pva and black paint

20190529_215119

The surface doesn't look to bad, like a cracked hastily built and now neglected airstrip. Have to tone down the white. 

20190529_213530

Popped the gloster meteor on there just to see how it looks

Don't know if to persue this further. Build some ground crew etc. It was just a test really to see if the nitrile rubber dust worked. I think I could have smoothed it out a bit better and not so cracked. Although the road outside my house looks worse than this. 

• Like 4

Well, as you say, I've seen roads that look worse than that! It does look like tarmac, but I think it would suit larger scales of 1/35th upwards. If you could get much finer dust and scatter that over PVA or wet plaster, that might be better for the smaller scales.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

Maybe lay some waxed paper over it and try to roll it out flat?

Colour and texture look interesting...

I think next time I'll warm it up a little, and not squish it out on the shed work bench, which has sawdust and bits of tobacco on it 😕

As fine sandpaper painted usually passes for tarmac, I wonder if You could press it under some coarse sandpaper to get that textured effect? Or would it just stick to the sandpaper?