First diorama

Hi all, I've just got back into modelling again. Made a few planes then thought I'd have a go at ripping up a kit to make a small diorama. 

I've not named it, maybe you lot could help with that? I still need to add the pilots door and the hatch on the fuselage. 

20190513_192955

20190514_182309 20190514_235552

20190526_170421 20190526_170428 20190526_170445

• Like 11

That's very good for a first dio.

Couple of things that I think would make it look better:

As it looks like a recent crash, skid marks in the earth/grass would make it more realistic. Also stones/rocks are usually partially buried rather than just place on the surface (unless it's something like a quarry of course) .

Having said that, the vegetation looks very natural and the dio is well thought out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Penguin,

I'm no 'wingy-thing' expert - for instance, I've always thought Spitfires had wooden props - but the damage looks pretty realistic to me.

The setting you've chosen, looks to me like a highland peat bog, or tor - somewhere like the Scottish highlands, Dartmoor or the Lake District. Whatever, you've done a great job. Yes, as Gorby said, there need to be skid/impact marks (revealing some nice dark peaty soil and possibly some water if it's meant to be a peaty bog) and the rocks do need to be better bedded into the ground - I would just add some more vegetation around the rocks and hide the fact that they are just sitting on the ground.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Very realistic! Those entry holes look like 20mm shells......all in all a pretty close call!

i second the skid marks (not easy as the aircraft must have swung around on the ground in the last seconds) and some additional grass ‘on the rocks‘ 😄

Otherwise a very impressive result for a first diorama. Love the vegetation!

Edited by Stromness
  • Thanks 1

Call it 'Spitting Rocks' if the pilot survived, or if he was KIA 'Metal Cairn'.

Agree with the skid mark comments, and maybe a grazing sheep near the boulders.

DennisTheBear

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the comments.

I'll add a few extra details to hide the placement of the rocks next time I will set them into the filler I used to sculpt the base. 

Got to make the door to the cockpit yet and might add a pilot sitting on a rock. I could try and add some skid marks with some fine trent sand/dirt I've got. Mixed with pva it might just work. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Penguin,

I'm no 'wingy-thing' expert - for instance, I've always thought Spitfires had wooden props - but the damage looks pretty realistic to me.

I chewed up the ends of the props with side cutters and a scalpel and popped a bit of wood brown on the ends to show bare wood. Might night show up very well in the pics 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 12:19 AM, Tzulscha said:

As a title How about:

1b151600699b9d2d2924dd513c314df7.jpg

P/O Prune  says - "A good landing is one you can walk away from."

As you might be able to tell, P/O Prune is my hero!  :lol:

Good, for first attempt .