This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Hi All,

I must be a sucker for punishment. Yet another model that I have decided to finish along with all the others.

This one has for no reason that I can work out, been sitting on the back-shelf for an enormously long time.

I had built the engine, transmission & exhaust and had sprayed all the body parts in their final colour, then I put it away and forgot about it.

This is the Revell 'Premium' range of 1/24th kits. There weren't many models in this series, This, a BMW 850 a Mercedes 560 C, coupe and cabriolet.

I has many more parts than your usual Revell kit, and has a reputation for being difficult to build, almost to the point of being un-buildable!

That currently, has not been my experience. The engine and transmission (No piccies unfortunately. I had assembled the engine and transmission into the floor-pan before I realised I had no pictures) went together well, as did the exhaust system. A bit over-the-top in the parts count department, but engineered well enough.

I decided that mine would be black, so I sprayed it with Halfords' grey primer followed by a Halfords' Black (Not sure which one - there is more than one shade!)

So, this is where we are now:

y4mqFFZ5my0zE8DsRcGtvF198-IhXWRq6IVJ0xhA

The somewhat crumpled box. Looks impressive.

The body:

y4m_ZvtRkokeMkq3Xf-JaAx-G_tlKx2RkJpsn2Vf

There are some minor imperfections that will polish out. I use Halfords' polishing compound. It's a old can, and appears to be quite different from the newer Halfords polishing compound.

y4m_3KA8VmDE20bIQY_FJ4mxkhNOzsDkzJbyQA4B

y4mW8zKR68_zd5A9PY3bd2k7TQZK-f7r_q25UPoL

Sorry about the blurry rear-end, but I was using shutter priority on the camera in order to use flash, and it must have selected a very wide aperture, hence the shallow depth of field.

y4munlgENeVZpPbdKYgP6V4vcxEb6HXENYMby279

The wheels:

y4mqHkbSFCYCDkJ_n2KPLT81UbNwl7VIaj0kgKU9

Now, this is one area where Revell could improve upon. The tyres are that Vinyl stuff. It has a few failings:

1. It appears to be 'oily' to the touch
  2. It doesn't look very much like rubber (too shiny)
  3. It can melt polystyrene, so you have to ensure the wheel is painted where the tyre touches it.
  4. It seems to age badly and become brittle. All but one of the tyres has split right across the tyre. I resolved it by using CA glue in the gap to hold the tyre together. I then filled the remains of the gap with High-tack PVA glue. That has the advantage that it dries clear, so appears to part of the tyre, and it also dries quite flexible, similar to the original vinyl (event when brittle).

It is quite difficult to see the splits now, so the repair appears to have worked.

This is where the new stuff starts:

y4mE3wMp1l-LxPEJ3qRxlXlOLY6_09mnirB0xggp

The rear suspension went in first. There are over twenty parts to make up the rear suspension, even more when you add the brakes and springs! Seems a bit like overkill.

Still for all that, it assembled well and it all fitted.

I highlighted all the pipe-work by dry-brushing aluminium on to the raised pipes. It needed a bit of clean-up later but nothing serious.

y4mzwp-bmqsv3MYX0-IwNIgZz8UtKppfOmuJCEUi

The exhaust system is also another example of a complicated break-down of parts. There are nine parts here. Fortunately it all went together well, like this:

y4mVgQ_sf1q4acm1ew0Ivw0iltV6UjGRrPQaIcdH

It all fitted well. No major gaps, just a smear of filler before the back-box on one of he pipes. The headers event connected to the manifolds. I was impressed.

Another view of the rear suspension with the axles attached:

y4m1yVAggldkL4gf_luqkHZgBZYl5eNTj3fC8uGw

Again, quite complex, but it all fitted well.

y4mZ76USsgHS2keBWhd1dYf-2fImk_sAaLukY4c_

This is one of the from suspension parts. Again the fit was well engineered, and it fitted well. This biggest difficulty was ensuring no glue got onto the revolving axle part. That's the bit in the bottom right corner.

So, this is where we are at present:

All suspension parts added, including anti-roll bars etc.

y4mRbnSWHJJsFlQZDVVz8V3W23mMAOlPIUTSJBHs

The exhaust looked a bit too shiny, so I used a mix of Humbrol matt black and gloss brown, highly diluted in white spirit to "grubby" it up a bit. The white spirit doesn't attack the acrylic already there.

It has stalled here due to a major cock-up on my part. The right suspension part at the front didn't want to stay in place. I thought perhaps that the strut needed to be pressed harder into the wish-bone, so I pushed a bit harder. Not a good idea. I managed to snap off the wish-bone and nearly lost it to the laminate monster (The carpet monster's close cousin).

I was not impressed (understatement of the decade). After locating the broken part, I used epoxy glue to fix it back in place. The end result is a bit more flexible than I would like, but it doesn't appear to be going anywhere. The problem still remains that the strut keeps falling out. No better (or worse) than before. I think that the only solution will be to glue the strut in place and lose the ability to have functional steering. Having said that, apart from posing it off centre, I never do anything else with it, so it's not a huge loss. I'll just set it slightly off centre anyway.

More soon, I hope.

Thanks for looking,

Alan.

Hi Alan, nice work so far, I’ve never seen this kit before. With regard to the blurred rear end in one of the pictures above, rather than apologise you should have claimed that it was deliberate for “artistic” merit!!

Regards Ian

I very much like the (earlier) 7 series Alan, good choice to get off the shelf 🙂 

When I see this car, I just think of Tomorrow Never Dies - shows the power of product placement I guess, or it could just be because I never saw many of them on the road.

I have to agree with you that Revell do seem to have gone OTT on the parts count, but looking at the assembled photos I'd never have guessed so you're obviously getting that right. Looking good so far, which is quite an achievement with black paint.

Hi All,

Another minor update. I hadn't realised how long since I last updated this topic.

I managed to 'sort' the front suspension out by cementing everything together so that the strut doesn't fall out any more.

On the negative side, I can't set the steering of the front wheels. A minor problem.

Anyway, I have mode some progress on the interior. I assembled the seats and door cards, then sprayed them with a mix of XF-19 & X-22 in a 3:2 ratio thinned with Mr Levelling thinners. This gave a very nice sheen, a bit like leather.

Anyway, here is the picture (a bit fuzzy for some reason):

y4mABkagRzDM1G2XU7hUZeOM4qrGtH9tbK0tcON8

There's quite a bit more to do, The floor needs to be dark grey, so I'll have to mask the seats and transmission tunnel and seat bases before spraying the floor with XF-63 (Tank Grey) to resemble carpet. 

Thanks for looking.

Alan.

Edited by Alan R

I've built this before, and never experienced any fitment issues. The suspension is a bit fiddly, like you've noticed, and the front suspension sits a bit high, but that's about it. 

Looking good so far. I am sure it'll be satisfying to complete something left undone for such a long time.

I have the same feelings for Revells's "tyres". Is it so hard for them to do what Tamyia etc do?  Can you find Taiya (or Aoshima, Fujimi) tyres in the same size to relpace them with?

5 hours ago, galaxyg said:

Can you find Taiya (or Aoshima, Fujimi) tyres in the same size to relpace them with?

I think that the time for trying to remove the existing tyres and replacing them with Aoshima tyres is probably long passed. I think with a bit of application of abrasive on them, they'll look better. However, I might just take a look...

Cheers, Alan.

Hi All,

A small update.

I have just noticed that  the last time I posted was August!

Anyway, I finished all the masking and spraying the interior, and this whet it looked like earlier today...

y4mV06-jPS31ZjSjIHXdp25FfSd_S6mWbj6eXF-N

It's a little blurry. Low light and not enough care in holding the camera...

It doesn't look it here, but the seat bases are satin black.

I have since removed all the masking tape and apart from a couple of minor mistakes, easily corrected, it came out rather well, I think.

I don't have a picture of this yet. I'll post that tomorrow. Light permitting.

Having got this bit done (I was betting a bit fed-up of masking, spraying, further masking, more ing, ad-nauseam,,,), I think progress will go ahead again. (I hope!)

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Alan.

Hi All,

Another minor update. My workshop is the conservatory, which gets pretty cold at this time of year, which tends to inhibit my enthusiasm!

In my last post, I had completed all the spraying, but hadn't removed the many layers of masking. I finally removed all the masking, and the result isn't too shabby.

I have already glossed the panels that receive the wood-panelling decals but I haven't put the decals on yet.

So, here is the current state of progress:

y4m7vPJ-YwJgDZ1Sk1mH20-fHyxr5bnRHDVnZhir

There are a couple of places on the bottom of the read seats that need a minor touch-up.

Hopefully, I'll get the decals put on tonight, assuming 'His Dark Materials' doesn't get in the way...

Thanks for looking,

Cheers, Alan.

Well all that masking seems to have produced a good result. I don't envy you modelling in the conservatory - if I had to use mine there's no way I'd be modelling at this time of year so you're doing well to have any enthusiasm for it I'd say.

Hi All,

A teeny-weeny bit of progress. I have managed to put the wood-panelling decals on!

y4mEeW__4pVG-Z3X8EgxzdqbVr_bbhWrYXGNa_UV

They are quite small and a bit fiddly, but with some care and patience they all snuggled down well.

I used Mr Set and Mr Softer to set them in place, followed by a bit of warm air from a hair-dryer.

Not sure whether to apply some gloss varnish on top or not. They are quite shiny as they are.

Thanks for looking, 

Alan.

Nice work, I model out in the shed/office, I tend to go out and shove a little electric heater on, then back indoors to make a brew.  Usually warmed up by the time I get back.

This looks lovely, I really like the overall appearance of this interior and look forward to seeing this built.

Coops