Revell 1/144 HMCS Snowberry

New project started this afternoon. So far it has required quite a bit of brute force and some strategic applications of CA glue because the hull halves were quite badly warped. I fitted the rudder as the instructions say, but it’s gonna have to come off before it gets broken off and lost.

47980827562_a64c70f200_b.jpg

Sean

• Like 11

11 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Stick with it Sean - it builds into a nice model

Rob

I’ve seen some of the masterpieces created from this kit, so if mine turns out half as good I’ll be very happy!

I’ve ordered some depth charge racks from Shapeways. They’re quite expensive but hopefully they’re worth it.

Sean

A bit more work done over the last couple of evenings. I’m trying to work out the best way to build it so that I can paint it easily. Kits like this can be tricky for me because I don’t have an airbrush and have to rely on rattle cans and brush painting. So at this point none of the superstructure has been fixed to the deck.

48002588011_261628ef5f_b.jpg

48002588501_541eaf0ef8_b.jpg

Sean

• Like 11

Today started off well because the depth charge rails arrived and they look very nice indeed.

20190605_150911

I then assembled the kit 4” gun which was massively disappointing. So Shapeways have got some more of my money this afternoon.

20190605_195711

Here’s an overall shot with how she stands this evening.

20190605_195718

Sean

• Like 13

46 minutes ago, longshanks said:

This lot might help

http://www.larsenal.com/1-144-detail-set-corvette-flower-c2x23226121

Pieces are available individually 

Kev

Thanks Kev, I’d forgotten about those sets. The Oerlikon’s and the 2 pounder should do the job nicely for me :thumbsup:

Sean

23 hours ago, Harrypotter said:

If you haven't check out Robziglu?s version on here, it's amazing.

I’ve just had a look, it is an incredible build!

Sean

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
8 minutes ago, Courageous said:

I think they are those drainage holes in the bulwarks to run-off sea water...possibly :hmmm:.

Stuart

Yes Stuart, they are engraved in the hull, as small rectagular depressions, with the outline of a cover on the inside of the bulwark. I would have thought they would have been left open in Atlantic weather, when the Flowers would have been fairly drenched.. I was just hoping that someone could give a definitive answer.

Dvae

Freeing ports in bulwarks are gaps to allow water from breaking waves to run off the deck quickly, and not be retained on the deck to create a destabilising free surface effect.

Freeing ports with doors have the doors hinged at the top to open outboard, and are free to open and close when required, they are not opened or closed manually.

The door is weighted to be normally shut. With seawater pressure on the outboard side (wave against the bulwark) the weight of the water closes the door firmly.

When the wave receeds leaving the deck flooded, the weight of water on the inside of the door pushes it open and allows it to drain quickly overboard before the next wave closes it.

It's a very basic non return flap (clack) valve.

Surveyors take a keen interest in them during load line surveys to make sure they're still free to move and the hinges haven't rusted up or the the door jammed shut with coats of paint.

• Like 4

Ok - Thanks got it.

I've looked through a whole load of corvette pics today for other reasons and I've gone back to look at stern shots.

Dave IMHO - nearly if not all show these ports closed. 

Interestingly there are 4 open slots in what I presume correspond to the position of Freeing- ports OPEN on Modified Castle Class vessels that feature prominently in pics

I can actually find None open in Flower Class pics

HTH

Rob

1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

Freeing ports in bulwarks are gaps to allow water from breaking waves to run off the deck quickly, and not be retained on the deck to create a destabilising free surface effect.

Freeing ports with doors have the doors hinged at the top to open outboard, and are free to open and close when required, they are not opened or closed manually.

The door is weighted to be normally shut. With seawater pressure on the outboard side (wave against the bulwark) the weight of the water closes the door firmly.

When the wave receeds leaving the deck flooded, the weight of water on the inside of the door pushes it open and allows it to drain quickly overboard before the next wave closes it.

It's a very basic non return flap (clack) valve.

Surveyors take a keen interest in them during load line surveys to make sure they're still free to move and the hinges haven't rusted up or the the door jammed shut with coats of paint.

Hi Dave, interesting that Revell have the doors on the inboard side!

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

Ok - Thanks got it.

I've looked through a whole load of corvette pics today for other reasons and I've gone back to look at stern shots.

Dave IMHO - nearly if not all show these ports closed. 

Interestingly there are 4 open slots in what I presume correspond to the position of Freeing- ports OPEN on Modified Castle Class vessels that feature prominently in pics

I can actually find None open in Flower Class pics

HTH

Rob

Thanks to you both. I think I'll go for them closed, , but would be interesting to see a close-up of one .

Cheers, Dave

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, davepb said:

Hi Dave, interesting that Revell have the doors on the inboard side!

Thanks to you both. I think I'll go for them closed, , but would be interesting to see a close-up of one .

Cheers, Dave

49147656473_b49b243b71_b.jpg2019-11-30_201921 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

Help at all?

Rob

• Like 2

2 hours ago, robgizlu said:

49147656473_b49b243b71_b.jpg

Now that's a freeing port.(between the second and third scuttle from aft)

As Dave said above water rising up on the outside would push it shut. Any build up inboard would push the flap open allowing the water to discharge. So the correct answer is the flap is both inside and outside :hypnotised:

Kev

• Like 1

That's a very interesting picture. K48 was HMS Anemone, but in Battleships,Cruisers https://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/flower_class.htm, the picture of HMS Anemone has the mast forward of the bridge. Looking at robgizlu's picture, I notice a metal hoop over the quarterdeck, does this suggest a later conversion for towing?

Looking at other pictures on the net, it is clear that the number of freeing ports has been drastcally reduced on HMS Anemone, so some filling will be necessary!

Dave

Hi Dave 

I believe that HMS Anemone was designated a Fleet tug - thus the 2 convex curved frames over the Quarter deck as you suggest, for towing.

I think in truth there are likely 4 Freeing ports - 2 visible and 2 further down that just blend into the white

If I enlarge the pic on my PC I can make out the 4th partially covered by the fender.

From original pics I feel that Revell have placed their's correctly.

If you weren't aware and I sound like a smarty-pants - I have built this kit.

Why don't you start a build thread that we can riff on?  I'm conscious that we're impinging on someone's WIP

Regards

Rob

Hi Rob, thanks for that reply. I was aware of your build, in fact I have it on my Hard Drive as a reference! Anemone interested me because it was built at Blyth, but I'm more inclined towards HMS Burdock, which underwent similar rebuild, and was built in my hometown of Sunderland. I know several people have modelled her in a garish yellow camouflage, but the pictures in this reference https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/theflowerclasscorvetteforums/hms-burdock-new-photos-8-7-16-t606.html show a different camouflage. Any suggestions on colours?

Thanks for the suggestion, I do intend to start a Work in Progress.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1