Daks over Duxford (Final batch of images added on Saturday)

Just occurred to me... Did any one see the Guy Martin programme on telly Sunday night? He practised to be a Para and fitted a couple bolts to a Dak restoration at Coventry.  Sadly it wasn't completed in time for the events this week. Funny thing is I came across Charlie Walker on Wednesday as I recognised him from the TV prog.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Just occurred to me... Did any one see the Guy Martin programme on telly Sunday night? He practised to be a Para and fitted a couple bolts to a Dak restoration at Coventry.  Sadly it wasn't completed in time for the events this week. Funny thing is I came across Charlie Walker on Wednesday as I recognised him from the TV prog.

I recorded it, and I'm watching it this very moment!

Thanks again for sharing, AD210 ...

I guess you were in the Premium Members’ enclosure when you took those last shots.  I was for s lot of the show but decided to walk down to the East end.  Big mistake, crowds there and although I managed to squeeze in against the barrier it was to be confronted with parked aeroplanes and refuelling tankers, etc.  Not exactly conducive to taking photos!

At least for part of the day you and I must have been close in the Members’ enclosure.  Were you standing at the back wearing a red fleece / shirt? - your friend came up with a coffee for you).  That rather confirms my comments re. having some form of BM ID.  I’m not altogether convinced that wearing outfits such as that described by Spruecutter96 above is the appropriate solution (what would the neighbours say about my wearing my usual business skirt suit and 4” heels I AM TRYING TO BE FUNNY).

i was parked across the A505, on the old sports field, and left early without any trouble. Marshalling wasn’t up to the usual airshow standards - exiting the gate to join the A505 wasn’t supervised at all, for example. 

None of the above detracts from an overall good show.  Yes, there were lengthy gaps and delays (we were told early on that the departure of the Daks was because the French authorities requested a 30 minute (?) delay - if a reason was given I missed it.

Once again, thsnks for the new photos.  Really great, as usual.

Jonny

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Thanks again for sharing, AD210 ...

I guess you were in the Premium Members’ enclosure when you took those last shots.  I was for s lot of the show but decided to walk down to the East end.  Big mistake, crowds there and although I managed to squeeze in against the barrier it was to be confronted with parked aeroplanes and refuelling tankers, etc.  Not exactly conducive to taking photos!

At least for part of the day you and I must have been close in the Members’ enclosure.  Were you standing at the back wearing a red fleece / shirt? - your friend came up with a coffee for you).  That rather confirms my comments re. having some form of BM ID.  I’m not altogether convinced that wearing outfits such as that described by Spruecutter96 above is the appropriate solution (what would the neighbours say about my wearing my usual business skirt suit and 4” heels I AM TRYING TO BE FUNNY).

i was parked across the A505, on the old sports field, and left early without any trouble. Marshalling wasn’t up to the usual airshow standards - exiting the gate to join the A505 wasn’t supervised at all, for example. 

None of the above detracts from an overall good show.  Yes, there were lengthy gaps and delays (we were told early on that the departure of the Daks was because the French authorities requested a 30 minute (?) delay - if a reason was given I missed it.

Once again, thsnks for the new photos.  Really great, as usual.

Jonny

Hi Jonny 

I'm really pleased that you liked the latest batch!

I was in the Premium Members' enclosure, but I was on the threshold of the concrete and the grass.

It was definitely a great experience!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jonny said:

Interesting , there were marshallers when I left, one inside the area near buildings and one on the main road.  

Anyway all went welll and still enjoyed my day... and so too did the wife surprisingly. ( good to have another Dakota lover in the family)

Found them!! A couple pics of N24320 at Gatwick in the 1970's  Wearing Evergreen colours. Sorry for not very good quality I'm afraid but here for Dakota and historical value .

8KePvZ.jpg

9oHdfr.jpg

Will follow up with some of my pics of Wednesday on Saturday night.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Paul J said:

Found them!! A couple pics of N24320 at Gatwick in the 1970's  Wearing Evergreen colours. Sorry for not very good quality I'm afraid but here for Dakota and historical value .

Will follow up with some of my pics of Wednesday on Saturday night.

Wow! What a survivor. Thanks for sharing. These truly are amazing aircraft.

Great pictures mate!

I was over at Duxford last Friday. My first time there and I was amazed at the amount of Dakotas there. Although none were flying, it was great to see, as was the rest of the museum. Very nearly bought myself a flight in a Spitfire too :lol:

• Haha 1

Thanks Dave. I'm pleased you enjoyed my record of this incredible event.

If I had £2750 burning a hole in my pocket, I would definitely buy a Spitfire flight!

If anyone is interested, the histories of the aircraft that made the journey from the USA are recorded here:

http://ddaysquadron.org/the-mighty-fifteen-the-american-contingent-flying-to-normandy/

Alpha Delta 210..

MY Heart has stopped as I drool over your 

EXQUISITE photographs. 

:wub:

STUNNING  collection of iconic aircraft's.

Thank you for sharing the joyous day that had with us.

:wow:

• Like 2

I haven't seen anything in news programmes about this, but did the Daks actually fly in a large number over France and carry out the anniversary parachute drop as planned in the end?? I had heard it was called off because of weather?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

Alpha Delta 210..

MY Heart has stopped as I drool over your 

EXQUISITE photographs. 

:wub:

STUNNING  collection of iconic aircraft's.

Thank you for sharing the joyous day that had with us.

:wow:

Thank you so much, Houston. I am delighted that you enjoyed the images of this most momentous occasion.

2 hours ago, Stealthman said:

I haven't seen anything in news programmes about this, but did the Daks actually fly in a large number over France and carry out the anniversary parachute drop as planned in the end?? I had heard it was called off because of weather?

I have seen images on another forum of the parachute drop. The first ten aircraft to depart Duxford were each carrying parachutists.

I have just reviewed my images from both days of the event and now post my final batch.

I hope you enjoy them.

gsKML8ULzEQZ-xiBQYb7VvmKhnS4C0bKqNp-KT_c

a9n592Vz0RajqPRVmfAODNWM6dpj_2GkTGqEr5fV

0wNxkDr9GO2mukuIvKgGeFtQbXkb7QmmFmd11c5g

x-C6YquA37eqs7NgdKBFbe1Hj5eQEcQpzxgDh2kx

EmAHzeznyFzh7lMZ74Rr0ohWPkohPwrBSd4fiu_V

jkWEcrm1lwnD_PuBSkKtx3RmuvKY2NdrKm72W782

-DSUOxYYw9uV-MuXxZBi8uzsksmZ35huz6WYB_rX

BYn1-TvPUe2EYySSOPTwsG491vPveY7irTSM5rn7

BKMxN2lY5nu2dK9y9yOZMhQOj9pTXGiPOJf8Ez70

OicFVOMeOkr5IMzffxnb4FbkGKt3hFycmnFSvCWx

9SYJnrwhrdwPJL0nKQRECsVYa8z8SReczHmYwelf

rr_q3xc4IWLt5xIgIm8ZzbqLCW2LLTZEw8tHTDCc

BWTXjtmmlOfAFRp3hFfVLJsnAdR9e5BW_cRcL6Z1

E0aloBFU1r4yEA5iONGLkJGRKCNZqrSLsVbXPQIy

tRvWPvVffXMxLonPLlIqBj8VIPLU-k4UOzOzTWoe

3fKjW3lnGoqHyj8SBUD3M0TCrTr50oDtSNFPuhi_

WaSS2jtP6iP5EE2xPhvww5eJAhw5aIOlyFH_A_fg

H6GAcqpdT7B3t141aTA0AcgJVOq0Gfr7CnMjPGoa

s_64vFdOv9bMoCk8rM2kUtR1jKbWHiuJkbePOIxr

iYFpJ9zsEBeMTMaMtgM--0Uif4DJi6HOw03fyrR4

4HytKiynHUgywpTuF_m3ihnxWYa-dwJDIdhvMzF-

HfZnAL85160JJ9Hj7nxAU2sMNPqgpuNtiaJX1h6S

i-x9XQUVSzn_AN_3tjhubCH0tl_LDlfDXhtKh-L2

FX8IoDoMDyHDXizlDhnyC49RaQjWO0SxLZF-b17s

PaMbxTToDqya1ptLY84MGlHX2uj9oncOLvQoyCVp

Thanks for looking.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Stealthman said:

See for yourself.  This is a Facebook video post that a gentleman took from Omaha beach.

Daks over Omaha beach

It'll get yer blood pumping!  :giles:

Edited by uncletommy
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Stealthman said:

Looked good, but a bit short of the 30 daks? Did the parachute drop actually happen?

Short?  Yes, a bit.  But from my perspective, since I couldn't be there in person, I'll take what I can get.  :shrug:

As far as the parachute drop is concerned, my understanding is that they did do some.  Some video here.

On 6/6/2019 at 3:10 PM, Paul J said:

There was a tag that could be printed off and laminated if wanted somewhere here a few years ago. I've got one but never think of dangling it round my neck on my trips to shows of a suitable nature.  I'm sure a lot of BM members may well have been next each other taking pics of all those lovely Dakotas not realising it.

Hi all - @Paul J @Alpha Delta 210 @Jonny @Sabrejet

on the air show theme, if anyone is interested I'll be at Yeovilton (13thJuly) and now, probably, at Fairford departures day (22nd July). The latter prompted by the news of the Romanian MIG-21 Lancer attendance. ;) see you there if you fancy. PM me.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

14 hours ago, Stealthman said:

Looked good, but a bit short of the 30 daks? Did the parachute drop actually happen?

The Daks over Normandy web page that I saved a couple of months ago showed 34 confirmed aircraft. I think that 23 showed up at Duxford, but not all of them participated in the event on the afternoon of June 5.

12 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi all - @Paul J @Alpha Delta 210 @Jonny @Sabrejet

on the air show theme, if anyone is interested I'll be at Yeovilton (13thJuly) and now, probably, at Fairford departures day (22nd July). The latter prompted by the news of the Romanian MIG-21 Lancer attendance. ;) see you there if you fancy. PM me.

Martin

I too saw the MiG/LanceR and thought about departures day. It's in the flying display so hopefully include in Saturday's show.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, F-32 said:

Wonderful shots, really good stuff!

Thanks F-32, I'm really pleased that you enjoyed the images. I had a great few days despite the weather!

I created a photobook of these and a few others, including when the seven Daks visited Old Warden which I've really enjoyed thumbing through.