Daks over Duxford (Final batch of images added on Saturday)

57 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Hi, Alpha Delta 210.

Thanks very much for sharing your images with us and for braving some nasty-looking weather. I would LOVE to see some shots of the MC-130's and Ospreys -  that sounds like an extremely rare flypast. Ironically, I could potentially have been there one day this week, but I'm very busy sorting some other stuff out. Them's da breaks, I guess!

Hope you have a great day today.

Cheers.

Chris.    

Hi Chris. 

I'm pleased you enjoyed the shots from yesterday. Sorry that you couldn't make it. 

Today's weather is blustery, with broken cloud.

The USAF flypast was cool, and perhaps another "once in a lifetime" opportunity in the UK? There were six of each type in a relatively tight formation. They filled the frame at 24mm (full frame) as they passed in front of the crowd. I will post some pictures this afternoon. 

• Like 1

Great day today, and when the Dak’s tipped out this evening - simply breathtaking- what a wonderful sight. I feel for the crews of the two that didn’t make it

SD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Great day today, and when the Dak’s tipped out this evening - simply breathtaking- what a wonderful sight. I feel for the crews of the two that didn’t make it

SD

Which aircraft didn't make it?

Apparently the Norwegian has a serious oil leak and shutting down the other engine on landing was in response to a faulty warning, but a sensible precaution. I understand Duxford are looking to provide hangar space. No idea about the other one

SD

Wednesday June 5th report:

Phew!! Got home at 7 this evening. My worries about traffic were unfounded got in and parked across the road at 08:15( 2 and quarter hours after leaving home) just the long pedestrian queue while for gates to open . That aside I enjoyed it thoroughly!!      The 6 MC-130 and 6 Ospreys were a big surprise!! My very first sighting of the MV-22. 12 aircraft in formation and could hardly hear them !!  Flabob Express was the one that stayed put with the Norwegian one.  An oil leak; Oh well all these beauties are getting on but look as young as ever. The tight Spitfire duos was awesome! Wifey enjoyed it too except the cold wind blowing across the field... but it was warm otherwise.   5  Harvards and 3 DH89 with folk .

enjoying rides too.

23 Daks!   What a sight and sound..

Had a very quick look at the hangars surprised to see Mustang Berlin Express still with TFC in the UK!!

Got to go and sort out my pics now. And good kip as back at work tomorrow.. Talking of which, with all those thousands of people at Duxford and those at Pompey today  was any one at work???? Wheels of industry must have taken a blow and slow down!!

PS: somewhere in my slide scans I have a pic of N24320 at Gatwick in '75 ...... will have a look for it...

• Like 2

Hi, Alpha Delta 210.

Thanks for the great string of images from Wednesday. I'm glad that the weather was a bit more forgiving for you.

Out of interest, were there any big gaps between the good stuff happening, or was there a fairly steady stream of action? 

Is there anything going on tomorrow or all the Daks now based in France?

Cheers. 

Chris.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Hi, Alpha Delta 210.

Thanks for the great string of images from Wednesday. I'm glad that the weather was a bit more forgiving for you.

Out of interest, were there any big gaps between the good stuff happening, or was there a fairly steady stream of action? 

Is there anything going on tomorrow or all the Daks now based in France?

Cheers. 

Chris.  

Hi Chris

I'm pleased you liked my record of events today at Duxford.

There were some long gaps between the good stuff, and the final take off was delayed for about 90 minutes because they were waiting for the sticks of parachutists to join their aircraft. I did not hear an explanation for the delay. The two Mustangs asked for, and got permission to take off and do a few pairs passes and a tail chase to fill the gap! This meant that they were unable to provide the planned "top cover" for the Dak formation carrying the parachutists.

I can post images of all the 21 departing Daks, of which 10 were carrying parachutists. 

Only one Dak remained at Duxford, so it is probably not worth a special journey (unless any other machines have returned from France). 

• Thanks 1

My only gripe about Wednesday was, having decided to leave home early to miss the traffic queues and arriving with minimal delay at the carpark at about 08:30 we weren’t allowed ‘in’, and had to wait till about 09:40.  Some IWM staff trying to look rather self important were strutting about looking at an ever increasing long line of people waiting to enter. They were calling for anyone with silver and gold badges to identify themselves, and for those with flights booked.  Other than that, us plebs were ignored.  I know the Museum officially opens at 10 am but they do open up on early air show days, e.g. when the Canadian Lancaster visited so why not for this event?

it was a good show.  The Spitfire duo were really super.  The USAF flypast was just that - quite high level and straight past and off the other side.  The paratroops in two groups in WW2 US and British kit got a cheer as they made their way along the crowd line to their aeroplanes ... what got a laugh was a female voice proclaiming “look, some have suitcases on wheels” - it was true, some were tugging their overnight kit.

Thanks for sharing your super photos, Alpha Delta 210.

Jonny

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jonny said:

My only gripe about Wednesday was, having decided to leave home early to miss the traffic queues and arriving with minimal delay at the carpark at about 08:30 we weren’t allowed ‘in’, and had to wait till about 09:40.  Some IWM staff trying to look rather self important were strutting about looking at an ever increasing long line of people waiting to enter. They were calling for anyone with silver and gold badges to identify themselves, and for those with flights booked.  Other than that, us plebs were ignored.  I know the Museum officially opens at 10 am but they do open up on early air show days, e.g. when the Canadian Lancaster visited so why not for this event?

it was a good show.  The Spitfire duo were really super.  The USAF flypast was just that - quite high level and straight past and off the other side.  The paratroops in two groups in WW2 US and British kit got a cheer as they made their way along the crowd line to their aeroplanes ... what got a laugh was a female voice proclaiming “look, some have suitcases on wheels” - it was true, some were tugging their overnight kit.

Thanks for sharing your super photos, Alpha Delta 210.

Jonny

Hi Jonny

I'm glad you had a good day. I thought the Thunderbolt and Spitfire displays were beautiful,  and the sight and sound of the Daks starting up and departing was simply awe-inspiring. 

My only gripe was the traffic control at the end of the event. I was parked near the American Air Museum and the traffic marshals were not making any effort to control the selfish blighters who were disrupting the orderly flow of traffic by queue-jumping.

• Thanks 1

I had no trouble leaving yesterday. I was parked across the road and it flowed reasonably well.. about 10 minutes to get of the base. 

Still unknown why 'Flabob Express' remained with the Norwegian Dak.  Lovely sight and remains with me now...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jonny said:

The USAF flypast was just that - quite high level and straight past and off the other side.  

Par for the course, really. It was always a gripe (of mine, and others) over the years. Occasionally you get a spirited display but often it is the allocated display aircraft and pilot of the year or a machine that is commercially sponsored.It isnt a new thing. Some on the forum will recall straight and level, single high level passes by the likes of Voodoos, Super Sabres, EB-66s and the like many, many years ago. If you want spirited displays call in the Dutch (my view). ;)

Nice shots  AD :). If iti doesn't swamp the forum with Daks I'll post a few later this week.

Martin

PS: please forgive the rantings of an old aircraft lover ;)

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul J said:

I had no trouble leaving yesterday. I was parked across the road and it flowed reasonably well.. about 10 minutes to get of the base. 

Still unknown why 'Flabob Express' remained with the Norwegian Dak.  Lovely sight and remains with me now...

I stayed until 18.00 on Tuesday, and understandably had no trouble leaving! I suppose the benefits of having easy access to the car during the day are outweighed by chaos as soon as the event finishes!

Yes, there was no mention as to why two machines remained, and I'm still bemused as to why the parachutists were soon late joining their aircraft. There was no mention on the Duxford Information frequency of any troublesome weather en route, or over the drop zone.

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Par for the course, really. It was always a gripe (of mine, and others) over the years. Occasionally you get a spirited display but often it is the allocated display aircraft and pilot of the year or a machine that is commercially sponsored.It isnt a new thing. Some on the forum will recall straight and level, single high level passes by the likes of Voodoos, Super Sabres, EB-66s and the like many, many years ago. If you want spirited displays call in the Dutch (my view). ;)

Nice shots  AD :). If iti doesn't swamp the forum with Daks I'll post a few later this week.

Martin

PS: please forgive the rantings of an old aircraft lover ;)

Ranting forgiven! 😉

I don't think it would be possible to swamp the forum with more threads of Dak images! It will be great to see your thread of images from the event when you have time.

I expected the USAF flypast to fly slightly faster (but was pleased they didn't!) I really enjoyed seeing the mixed formation and doubt that I will see the like again!

I will post a shot of each departing Dak later today. 

• Like 2

The straight-and-level USAF flypast doesn't come as a real surprise. I remember being at one of the special Duxford / American Air Force days several years ago (Who remembers those? I always thought it was a great shame they were held on a Friday, but was told that that was the one day a week that most Mildenhall / Lakenheath personnel were given off).

Anyway, at this USAF day, the Yank commentator had been regularly hyping the arrival of three Lakenheath F-15's, saying things like "You won't believe how exciting this flyby will be!" (or something along those lines). When the Eagles finally turned up, the only "action" we saw was that the last one in the line pulled up (not that quickly), did a small circuit and quickly rejoined up with his buddies. They then flew back in the opposite direction, with no climb. After three hours of hype, it was a rather "mild" flypast to say the least. Someone told me that they had to bring the last pilot over from the States as none of their "local" F-15 pilots were authorised to pull any manoeuvres at a public-attended event. I'm not knocking the attendance of the Eagles, but it seemed like a great deal of effort to go to for such a brief, low-energy fly-past. 

Hope everyone enjoyed their time at Daks Over Normandy. 

Chris. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

The straight-and-level USAF flypast doesn't come as a real surprise. I remember being at one of the special Duxford / American Air Force days several years ago (Who remembers those? I always thought it was a great shame they were held on a Friday, but was told that that was the one day a week that most Mildenhall / Lakenheath personnel were given off).

Anyway, at this USAF day, the Yank commentator had been regularly hyping the arrival of three Lakenheath F-15's, saying things like "You won't believe how exciting this flyby will be!" (or something along those lines). When the Eagles finally turned up, the only "action" we saw was that the last one in the line pulled up (not that quickly), did a small circuit and quickly rejoined up with his buddies. They then flew back in the opposite direction, with no climb. After three hours of hype, it was a rather "mild" flypast to say the least. Someone told me that they had to bring the last pilot over from the States as none of their "local" F-15 pilots were authorised to pull any manoeuvres at a public-attended event. I'm not knocking the attendance of the Eagles, but it seemed like a great deal of effort to go to for such a brief, low-energy fly-past. 

Hope everyone enjoyed their time at Daks Over Normandy. 

Chris. 

Hi Chris.

I attended every USAF day at Duxford and remember the hype! That said, we used to enjoy the event and seeing my 7 year-old handling the weapons and sitting in an ejection seat wearing a bone dome was fantastic! I always enjoyed the USAF Security Police dog demonstrations as well.

I seem to remember that IWM emphasised that it wasn't an air show, but I can't remember if they charged "event" prices, as I'm sure they would now (plus parking!)

Notwithstanding the disappointments with the weather, I am pleased that I went to Duxford for the Daks event, as I'm pretty sure that we won't see that number of the type in one place on our shores again. 

I'm really thankful for the trouble that so many of our American friends (and others)  went to for this very important commemorative event.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Notwithstanding the disappointments with the weather, I am pleased that I went to Duxford for the Daks event, as I'm pretty sure that we won't see that number of the type in one place on our shores again. 

So am I. 

Noticed a few variations  on the exhaust stubs on them and the slightly pointier noses on a couple too.

One question how many DId Turn up?  Was it just the 23 at Dux the last couple days or were there a few others, as listed on the Daks website, elsewhere like France. Or were they affected by weather or tech issues.

Please excuse me for highjacking this thread, but something’s occurred to me:

It seems quite a few of us BM’ers attend the diminishing number of major airshows in the UK, not to mention modelling shows too.  The thing is, few of us actually know each other.

Might it be feasible to have a BM lapel badge or some other identifiable item?  I can see difficulties, e.g. design, ordering and paying whatever item is decided on from a manufacturer, ordering and paying whoever takes delivery,  limiting access to genuine  BM’ers, etc., etc., etc.  but possibly a way could be found.

Is this just a crazed mind at work or is there some merit in the idea?

Helpful comments & opinions please!

Jonny

Relating to Jonny's post immediately above...

If anyone wants to say hello to me at the Elstree Model Show on Sunday, I will be wearing a fluffy pink cocktail-dress, lime-green top-hat and non-matching wellies (some of this sentence might not be entirely accurate). There's a free bacon-roll to anyone who can gaze upon my visage and not dry-heave... (also, not entirely accurate). 

But more seriously, I will be welcoming people at the front-gate, wearing a hi-viz vest. If you read this and are attending, say hello when you arrive, by all means. You can find the address in the Shows section on this site. 

Cheers.   

Chris. 

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

Please excuse me for highjacking this thread, but something’s occurred to me:

It seems quite a few of us BM’ers attend the diminishing number of major airshows in the UK, not to mention modelling shows too.  The thing is, few of us actually know each other.

Might it be feasible to have a BM lapel badge or some other identifiable item?  I can see difficulties, e.g. design, ordering and paying whatever item is decided on from a manufacturer, ordering and paying whoever takes delivery,  limiting access to genuine  BM’ers, etc., etc., etc.  but possibly a way could be found.

Is this just a crazed mind at work or is there some merit in the idea?

Helpful comments & opinions please!

Jonny

There was a tag that could be printed off and laminated if wanted somewhere here a few years ago. I've got one but never think of dangling it round my neck on my trips to shows of a suitable nature.  I'm sure a lot of BM members may well have been next each other taking pics of all those lovely Dakotas not realising it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Paul J said:

There was a tag that could be printed off and laminated if wanted somewhere here a few years ago. I've got one but never think of dangling it round my neck on my trips to shows of a suitable nature.  I'm sure a lot of BM members may well have been next each other taking pics of all those lovely Dakotas not realising it.

I didn’t know that but I do think it was a good idea (and at zero cost or trouble to BM !

I wonder if the Tag could be recreated ?  

2 hours ago, Paul J said:

So am I. 

Noticed a few variations  on the exhaust stubs on them and the slightly pointier noses on a couple too.

One question how many DId Turn up?  Was it just the 23 at Dux the last couple days or were there a few others, as listed on the Daks website, elsewhere like France. Or were they affected by weather or tech issues.

That's a good question, Paul. I hope someone has the answer!

Anyway, as promised here are the pictures of all 22 aircraft that took part in the streamed take off (wow!!) The pictures are in order of departure. I apologise for the quality of some of the images, but I have uploaded them as a record of the event and as my salute to the WWII veterans.

F26-l4Ce4nbTWjIotcmaX5Q5haZZ_rwSeaqJAV1j

cWQZlDQjFQSYmpbJhfXlv6AF5Y5tL7_SyLdErfRy

c2jy71-r3Oo9nYdvo1NQiAGwXrLG8Lb9ClXitYsD

4_TO7qZIMYczu7Yu2S0L8alrobtcDxYrLrJFmtRP

PVjOzM6JKty_j5Z7iD-F5c2BHP8Mbk8j2jdT0cBy

W6BsqjX74T18gP9tIRheaC_6zRBhVc5oOvHcyHo0

qlE99HQAecXSEWkF_rW8y0NOy9fIOmlZzA520xNV

5M2V6v7qP9L6QDMH_VoxFO3seWxNS5gfhzFHUctQ

EolytV-QmHehMdynLSO7OvBYzhLqdF4PiTotRZ_l

sEC-YxHvI_sgbIU_57zDXioz4Kid-r9HwyvrBNLU

YeC8KJz-aMVV-71sZbIOz8B3V45xNS1w0DGlNs9q

7T39ne5TSUzsM0XHNgoTRrh5mxLyilXUADHDn5-l