1/600 Airfix Hms Devonshire

Out of sheer nostalgic memories and the challenge of an old kit I took the plunge for an accurate small model of Hms Devonshire

Sadly no plans for this particular ship although still not feasible paying for large scale plan

Lot of photos of the class but they have to be of the actual ship

The actual model is far too inaccurate 

main issues 

forward superstructure short and far too back

main mast on wrong structure

Aft deck too short 

spacer.png

• Like 6

Likewise, having built one of these about 5 years ago and converted it to a Batch 2 (GLAMORGAN), I know about most of the inaccuracy issues and at least you have spotted them before you started.  I missed the forward superstructure position until it was way too late.

Interestingly I'd never noticed that on DEVONSHIRE and LONDON the mainmast was on the forward superstructure.  I wonder why they moved it for the later ships?

• Like 2

You are right to be careful with references: I have a Norfolk and a Glamorgan planned in 1/350 (using the Atlantic Models kit), and I had no idea how much the 8 hulls [not “hulks”, as auto-correct initially put!] differed in the details of their configuration (despite have served in both London & Norfolk!)

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

There is a very useful article on improving the Airfix 1/600th HMS Devonshire at:

http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=992:baubericht-hms-glamorgan-teil-1-recherche-und-rumpf&catid=210:hms-glamorgan

It includes some simple plans showing how the main superstructure needs moving.

Thanks 

Yes a very good article. Actually it triggered me on until I realised that the Glamorgan and most of the ships of this class are different. 

One has to appreciate the amount of work these guys go through to share such research for the benefit of fellow modellers. A recommended site. 

I found a good source of photos on county class destroyers site especially on hms Hampshire  but then  again different from the Devonshire 

I have yet to calculate the space between the front funnel and the radar mast.

Thanks for the feedback and hope this article will be useful and inspirational to all 

davidgrech.blogspot.com 

• Like 1

Gidday All, I made one of these many years ago (make that decades ago) as a kid, straight OOB. My brother received an Airfix HMS Suffolk at the same time. Naturally, when we played wars against each other I was heavily outgunned. I mounted a spare third turret at the rear of the flight deck (my first ever whiff?) to increase my fire-power and even the odds a little.

I have another in the Falklands set which I plan to do one day and referring to build sites such as these will help me considerably to get things right. Many thanks. Regards, Jeff.

Edited by ArnoldAmbrose
  • Like 1

I built one 2 yrs ,yes how Airfix got it so wrong,even to the point they called their model HMS Devonshire should have been Kent,because as you mention the rear mast, is in the wrong position for Devonshire.Again they got the position of B turret to the forward structure,the gap is too big.I didn't change the aft deck left as it was, too far forward on the build to change that.That German site ,is a must to check, I found it after starting the build. I also bought the 3D parts from Shapeways.Have bought you the 1/600 etching set from Atlantic models

http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?option=com_alphacontent&section=11&category=210&Itemid=59

K0nGocb.jpg

QLnRy97.jpg

Si8NRDA.jpg

My build ,hope you don't mind showing.

DkQFPaX.jpg

• Like 6

I have followed your built too and it also a guided to the many flaws of the airfix model. You did a great research with the comparative profiles and your finished model is a result of great determination. Well done. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Good to see the Airfix turrets replaced in the photo above.  Unfortunately their rendition of the Mark 6 twin 4.5 inch turret on every model including Daring and Leander is awful.  I have a 1:600 Daring I'm thinking of building but the turrets have to go for starters.  I better check Shapeways and see if they have a kit for it.

• Like 1

Check Micromaster they do then,I have then in 1/350 and they are mind blowing.

fHu2DoJ.jpg

Link to site,first yes its in New Zealand the P&P bit high however its worth plus never been caught by tax when coming into the UK ,order at least 6 times now.

https://micromaster.co.nz/collections/royal-navy-weapons/products/1-600-royal-navy-4-5-45-11-4cm-rp41-mkvi-gun

I'd imagine the postage wouldn't be as high for you Jeff.

I mean if you fall out of the wrong side of bed your virtually in NZ :whistle:

Tom

Edited by Modelholic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Chris for link . very useful though there are no actual photos of the prints in 1/600 or smaller .

I never managed to get hold of a good  Mark 6 twin 4.5 inch turret scale plan. Unfortunately my modelling days are over due to ill health.

18 hours ago, Modelholic said:

I mean if you fall out of the wrong side of bed your virtually in NZ

Actually, If I fell out of the bed the wrong side I'd probably land on the dog, but I know what you mean. 🙂

Sorry to hear about you ill health, Duilio. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1