Hi fellow modellers.

Freecloud

Hello fellow modellers. Just became a 'newbie' member. I'm a sixty two years old guy but young at heart. As a young kid, I used to build plastic aeroplane models & attempt to 'paint' them. They were 'ok' through the eyes of an inexperienced child &, more often than not, the propellers & wheels were always getting broken, thanks to my dear old Ma's polishing & dusting exploits. But now I've just started to get the taste again so I'm hoping that age will have provided (& I beleive it has) patience to allow me to build & paint models of quality & satisfaction.

Being disabled, I need another hobby so I'm revisiting this fine choice. 

I don't delude myself by thinking that I would produce items worthy of great show pices for completion, but I would like to produce something that does satisfy me, and, something to be proud to show. 

I'm about to start building one of the Tuskegee aircraft (Roscoe Brown's 'Bunnie'), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed in the hope I can do justice to  one of these heroes. Never airbrushed before either, so there'll be plenty of practice before I make a start. 

I look forward to checking these forums for any advice there is available, never too old to learn, as it is said. I'd like to close by saying thanks in advance for all or any advice. 

• Like 1

Hello Freecloud...:post1: from Chicago USA. Im disabled myself and understand your situation. Please don't knock your abilities as being subpar. There are a lot of "experts" that will tell you they aren't satisfied with there work. Building for yourself is the most important thing to remember. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Hi Freecloud,

my advice to you would be to build to your own requirements, don't buy the most advanced & expensive kits, airbrushes etc. they could end up putting you off if you don't get the same results as models in mags. etc. There are plenty of vendors who sell older, simpler models which will be perfectly suited to allow you to build your experience. You don't say what direction your modelling will take but if I were to say, for instance, there are 1/35th  tank kits out there with `1000 parts & kits with 150 parts which would you say suited your current needs the best. As in most things when starting something new applying the KISS principle is a good starting point.

cheers,

spad

Edited by spaddad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Greetings from Western Canada. I too am an older model builder (64) and I'm in the slow process of building my first kit in many years. I've come up against my usual halting point of painting. Airbrush or hairystick?

Anyway, build for yourself. You're your own worst critic.

Chris

Oh yeah! post pictures of your work.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Freecloud...:post1: from Chicago USA. Im disabled myself and understand your situation. Please don't knock your abilities as being subpar. There are a lot of "experts" that will tell you they aren't satisfied with there work. Building for yourself is the most important thing to remember. 

Dennis

Many thanks Dennis &, yes, I think you are correct to say that building for oneself is the most important. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Greetings from Western Canada. I too am an older model builder (64) and I'm in the slow process of building my first kit in many years. I've come up against my usual halting point of painting. Airbrush or hairystick?

Anyway, build for yourself. You're your own worst critic.

Chris

Oh yeah! post pictures of your work.

Thanks a lot Chris & you made me laugh when you sais 'hairy stick'. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spaddad said:

Hi Freecloud,

my advice to you would be to build to your own requirements, don't buy the most advanced & expensive kits, airbrushes etc. they could end up putting you off if you don't get the same results as models in mags. etc. There are plenty of vendors who sell older, simpler models which will be perfectly suited to allow you to build your experience. You don't say what direction your modelling will take but if I were to say, for instance, there are 1/35th  tank kits out there with `1000 parts & kits with 150 parts which would you say suited your current needs the best. As in most things when starting something new applying the KISS principle is a good starting point.

cheers,

spad

Thanks so much for your supportive comment. As for 'parts', I think it's good to build, at least in my Case, sorta between the two quantities you mention. Good wishes. 

1 minute ago, Mike said:

:welcome: aboard Garry - modelling's a bit of a laugh at times, and it certainly can be absorbing ;)

Thanks Mike & yes, you're so right. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

:welcome: aboard Garry - modelling's a bit of a laugh at times, and it certainly can be absorbing ;)

Didn't feel a laugh last time I was banging my head on the table having screwed up my third Airfix 1/72 Gnat in row !!! 🤔

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PLC1966 said:

Didn't feel a laugh last time I was banging my head on the table having screwed up my third Airfix 1/72 Gnat in row !!! 🤔

Anyone watching was probably having a hoot though ;)

• Haha 1

Just now, Mike said:

Anyone watching was probably having a hoot though ;)

Fair Point 👍😁

Just can't get the top wing smooth with fuselage, however much I push, pull, file, glue !!! 🙁

1 hour ago, PLC1966 said:

Just can't get the top wing smooth with fuselage, however much I push, pull, file, glue !!! 🙁

Why don't you ask the members for some hints & tips?  I'm sure someone's managed to build one with a smooth wing joint :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Fair Point 👍😁

At least you are consistent, lot to be said for consistency.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Ahh, the head banging, know it well, especially as I'm very OCD, 

Hi,

I am also an older modeller, 67 later this year,been modelling since I was about 8 years old. I used to build mostly aircraft and ship models,but two years ago I started building 1/35 scale armour. I am also interested in model railways,but my layout ins in our attic/loft, and it’s becoming an effort to climb up there now, but I also have a garden railway, which is now used more than the indoor layout.

Martin

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 01/06/2019 at 17:30, Freecloud said:

Hello fellow modellers. Just became a 'newbie' member. I'm a sixty two years old guy but young at heart. As a young kid, I used to build plastic aeroplane models & attempt to 'paint' them. They were 'ok' through the eyes of an inexperienced child &, more often than not, the propellers & wheels were always getting broken, thanks to my dear old Ma's polishing & dusting exploits. But now I've just started to get the taste again so I'm hoping that age will have provided (& I beleive it has) patience to allow me to build & paint models of quality & satisfaction.

Being disabled, I need another hobby so I'm revisiting this fine choice. 

I don't delude myself by thinking that I would produce items worthy of great show pices for completion, but I would like to produce something that does satisfy me, and, something to be proud to show. 

I'm about to start building one of the Tuskegee aircraft (Roscoe Brown's 'Bunnie'), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed in the hope I can do justice to  one of these heroes. Never airbrushed before either, so there'll be plenty of practice before I make a start. 

I look forward to checking these forums for any advice there is available, never too old to learn, as it is said. I'd like to close by saying thanks in advance for all or any advice. 

Well...., I've recently started a P51 Mustang build 1/48 scale & going to do Roscoe Browns 'Red Tail'. Not built a model aircraft since I was a kid & boy, how things have changed during my absence. Not going too bad, a few hiccups here & there. One bad spot was the small 'chip' I somehow got on the front canopy window 😞 grrrrr. Anyway,  I thought I'd tryout something that card makers use for rain drops on flowers called Liquid Glass. As soon as I received it, I made a small 'teardrop' on some paper. It was not unlike pva at first...., then it dried hard & clear like glass. 

Carefully, I made another small drop on paper & even more carefully, I used a cocktail stick & gently applied some of the liquid to the 'chip'. When it dried, it looked way better. Of course, a small difference can be seen but it's so much better now than the horrible chip that was there before. The one I used was called DecoArt Media Liquid Glass. I Hope this helps anyone who falls fowl this curse. Regards to all. 

• Thanks 1

Hello, welcome on board, quite new to this site too.

Had a few problems building the Gnat myself. Such a tiny aeroplane, especially in 1/72 scale means any imperfections are quite obvious. I try hard to accept the end result, learn from it and try not to beat myself up over it. After all this is meant to be an enjoyable hobby!