1/48 Heller Mirage IVA

22 hours ago, Wez said:

Pulling up a chair for this one, love Mirages and has been said before, the IV is an elegant aircraft.

I saw a couple of these at Sauvigny-lès-Beaune a couple of years ago, unfortunately they're out in the open and have suffered accordingly.

As for the Up-North set, I believe they only ever did the two etched scribing guides and that was some years ago, I wasn't aware of the RATO bottles for this kit though.

Ian, you might want to consider adding some additional tabs to support the spine, it's a long joint that may crack open otherwise.

Good luck with the project!

Thanks Wez, I did make a couple plasticard spines for inside the fuselage. :)

Cockpit, exhausts, and undercarriage, for the Heller 1/48 Mirage IV, are now finished.
Cockpit painted with Hataka Blue Line.

48008493723_8a6a1db26e_z.jpgDSC_3685 by ian gaskell, on Flickr

48008487421_09cb6dcfc5_z.jpgDSC_3686 by ian gaskell, on Flickr

48008487046_6a08d7aa48_z.jpgDSC_3689 by ian gaskell, on Flickr

48008486796_ba6a4c03c5_z.jpgDSC_3691 by ian gaskell, on Flickr

48008497203_2bcdf79156_z.jpgDSC_3694 by ian gaskell, on Flickr

48008486496_6637da954c_z.jpgDSC_3696 by ian gaskell, on Flickr

48008570192_2a4d28fc89_z.jpgDSC_3699 by ian gaskell, on Flickr

48008485631_005f660210_z.jpgDSC_3701 by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Oh man, beautiful work! Especially with the cockpits. I can already see how stunning your Mirage will look once finished.  I built two of these years ago (one is still in the cabinet). I only added some scratch built exterior extras; mainly the camera pod and an ECM pod.

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Thanks 1

With a bit of cutting and sanding, the cockpit is now in place, and the fuselage is together. 
I’ve also finished the re-scribing, and added some rivet detailing. 
Canopy windshield masked, and fixed in position.

K37C0PL.jpg

4A4wbyo.jpg

thuBFr4.jpg

8Wmecdm.jpg

c7DmEY8.jpg

gU0HG0t.jpg

• Like 11

You've made excellent progress, this is looking great!

I do have a question though regarding the cockpit colour, is it really grey? I thought all Mirages up until the Mirage 2000 had black cockpits, can anybody confirm that the IV didn't?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wez said:

I do have a question though regarding the cockpit colour, is it really grey? I thought all Mirages up until the Mirage 2000 had black cockpits, can anybody confirm that the IV didn't?

The Mirage IV will have gone through a number of refurbishments throughout it's life and it is quite possible that interiors were repainted during one or more of these.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wez said:

You've made excellent progress, this is looking great!

Hi Wez

Yes, early ones were black. But later ones were grey, after upgrades. 

48073638006_fafafd7cfa_z.jpgE7A6D8DA-712C-4BC0-88C8-9C71101F70C1 by ian gaskell, on Flickr

48073744077_193f25cf79_z.jpg639387AB-3730-4B15-ABB2-A393C564B7D5 by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Phew! Thanks for that, must have been a big refurbishment completely gutting the aircraft, cockpit repaints aren't as easy as people think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Phew! Thanks for that, must have been a big refurbishment completely gutting the aircraft, cockpit repaints aren't as easy as people think.

This is an older black instrument panel. You can see it is quite different from the grey one. So I expect, when upgraded, a whole new IP is fitted. 

48074235176_8d4a70d78e_m.jpgE7752B20-3307-471E-9E71-C79D5C24F2F4 by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wez said:

No, you would destroy more than you would get in the end. I only know photos of  a walkaround  in grey an black of the cockpit, which satisfied me most. Don't know, if the site is online by now and what it was.  And the scale effect makes it much more interesting than just in black.  So artificial freedom rules for me first  then. Cheers

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bbudde said:

No, you would destroy more than you would get in the end. I only know photos of  a walkaround  in grey an black of the cockpit, which satisfied me most. Don't know, if the site is online by now and what it was.  And the scale effect makes it much more interesting than just in black.  So artificial freedom rules for me first  then. Cheers

No, I mean on real aircraft!

To repaint the cockpit of a real aircraft requires removal of all of the LRUs, wiring looms, hydraulic and anciliary services, a lot of work and a lot of disturbed systems functional checks, an awful lot of work.

Where a lot of people go wrong is they assume that a cockpit is a uniform finish, it isn't, it's made up of a lot of disparate parts, all finished to their own spec and all subtly different, even a black cockpit is a patchwork quilt of different black finishes.

• Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:51 AM, TBC said:

Unc,

Up North did one other scribing template set which was for the Monogram 1/48 F-100D Super Sabre. FWIW they also did a very nice RATO set for the 1/48 Mirage IV, too.

TBC, mate! :worthy:

Thanks a lot for the tidbit. Me hasn't ever liked the F-100D, go figure why. And the Mirage IV ain't as sexy a bird as "they're" IIIC/E birds.

Cheers,

Unc2

1 minute ago, Uncle Uncool said:

TBC, mate! :worthy:

Thanks a lot for the tidbit. Me hasn't ever liked the F-100D, go figure why. And the Mirage IV ain't as sexy a bird as "they're" IIIC/E birds.

Cheers,

Unc2

Unc,

Take yourself outside and give yourself a stern talking to. Obviously, the recent national blackout has affected your senses!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wez said:

Unc,

Take yourself outside and give yourself a stern talking to. Obviously, the recent national blackout has affected your senses!

Well, yeh, Wez, mate. It surely did. That and the five-rainy-day-in-a-row. 

I'm outside in "they're" sun, giving a stern look at me sheila while she's doing her gardening. :wicked: What a sight!

But really; I recall this time I was at a local IPMS summit, and there was this bloke selling the Monogram 1/48 Super Sabre kit. It was SUCH a bargain I just passed by completely.

Ne'er had an interest in that one, I dunno why.

And the Mirage IV is a mammoth-whale crossover. Me don't likey...

Yeh, me don't.

Cheers,

Unc2

2 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Well, yeh, Wez, mate. It surely did. That and the five-rainy-day-in-a-row. 

I'm outside in "they're" sun, giving a stern look at me sheila while she's doing her gardening. :wicked: What a sight!

But really; I recall this time I was at a local IPMS summit, and there was this bloke selling the Monogram 1/48 Super Sabre kit. It was SUCH a bargain I just passed by completely.

Ne'er had an interest in that one, I dunno why.

And the Mirage IV is a mammoth-whale crossover. Me don't likey...

Yeh, me don't.

Cheers,

Unc2

Unc,

The Mirage IV is not a whale, she's the elegant lady the rest of the Mirage family want to grow up to be!

As for the F-100D, she's no beauty but that's potentially one of the most colourful aircraft ever! You need to get that in your life.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Wez said:

Unc,

The Mirage IV is not a whale, she's the elegant lady the rest of the Mirage family want to grow up to be!

Elegance is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. You go tell that to the blokes @ Israel Air Industries then. :bleh:

In any way, the Mirage IV is an F-106 wannabe. :rofl2: That's elegant.

9 minutes ago, Wez said:

As for the F-100D, she's no beauty but that's potentially one of the most colourful aircraft ever! You need to get that in your life.

Her intake looks the next thing to the mouth in a catfish! (Do) you want me to get that in my life? :blink2:

Cheers,

Unc2  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Elegance is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. You go tell that to the blokes @ Israel Air Industries then. :bleh:

In any way, the Mirage IV is an F-106 wannabe. :rofl2: That's elegant.

Her intake looks the next thing to the mouth in a catfish! (Do) you want me to get that in my life? :blink2:

Cheers,

Unc2  

The F-106 is a Mirage IV wannabe!

As for the F-100 and its gaping maw, are you telling me you don't like any of the following...

Sabre, Lightning, Mystére, Super Mystére, MiG-15/17/19/21, F-84, Tunnan???

Edited by Wez

44 minutes ago, Wez said:

Obviously, the recent national blackout has affected your senses!

Mate! When I first learnt about the magnitude of the blackout I thought it was going to take a whole week for me to be able to come peep at BM again... :undecided: *shudders*

Fortunately, it just took an hour and a half in the neighbourhood I dwell at. I totally support President Macri, and of course I'm going to vote for him once again.

Yeh, me will. :worthy: If you ever visit "they're" Argieland, I'll take you to meet him. Y'see I don't support any of those crooks who ruled before 2015, y'know, that K Gorgon and stuff.

8 minutes ago, Wez said:

Sabre, Lightning, Mystére, Super Mystére, MiG-15/17/19/21, F-84???

Well, you ought to be blind then, mate Wez. All of those abovementioned aircraft are endowed with a much more rounded intake, compared to that in the catfish; I mean, the F-100D.

Yeh, they are.

Cheers,

Unc2

On 6/1/2019 at 10:57 AM, Wee Beastie said:

So, my next build is going to be this little beauty, Heller’s 1/48 Mirage IVP.
I’m intending to build mine to represent the Mirage IVA, that’s displayed at the Yorkshire Air Museum.
Aftermarket items are:-
3 decal sets, 1 Up North, and 2 Syhart (and yes, one is a 1/72 set, but there is a reason for this)
AML resin exhausts
NeOmega resin cockpit set
ResKit resin wheels
Master Models refuelling probe
Up North scribing set

I have the same kit and will be watching your build.

The main difference, when I finally get around to starting on mine, is the aftermarket I have.

Since I will be building mine as a photo-recce aircraft (Of Course!), I have the following aftermarket:

Model Art decals 48/010

AML  resin exhausts

Neomega cockpit set

Royale Resin wheels (R082)

Model Design Construction scribing template set (SCR48001/A reissue of the Up North set)

L'Arsenal BOZ103 chaff dispenser pod (AC 4863)

L'Arsenal Barracuda ECM pod (AC 4809)

L'Arsenal Hurel-Dubois CT-523 recce pod (AC4875)

Your build really looks good so far. Love what you did with the landing gear.

Larry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1