1/72 Wapiti the hard way- Frog/Novo Wallace+Merlin Wapiti

So, before the CMR Wapiti was released the only way to build the Wapiti, The Indian Air forces first mount was to modify the Frog/Novo Wallace or the merlin models plastic and White metal Wapiti.  The less said about both the better!! I used the Merlin fuselage and undercarriage, Wallace wings and empennage, Aeroclub white metal Jupiter engine, a paper clip for the Lewis mount and a small brass Russian cottage lewis gun. Vallejo paints and sprue rigging with spare decals. A basic no-nonsense build with no bells and whistles that ill keep for the CMR kit!! The aircraft is from the IAF's No 1 Sqn the Tigers at Miranshah when operating against Afridi tribesmen on the NWFP circa 1933.

.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 34

Stunning work. It is great to see somebody attempting this important aircraft. If only some manufacturer would come along and give us a modern kit!

I've got a couple of this kit in the stash... One day I will brave them!

• Like 3

A beautiful Wapiti.  Great conversion and paintwork.  I've been considering doing similar with the Frog Wallace but still haven't got round to it.

Great job Linescriber ! I can't fathom building a 1/72 biplane never mind mixing and matching parts from different kits.

I didn't realize what a tough bird the Wapiti was until I read Spitfire Singh which I'm about halfway reading through, great book on the birth pangs of the Indian Air Force.

Great job,..... I tried the same myself years ago,..... but it wasn`t a patch on yours,......... it looks lovely,

Cheers

Tony

8 hours ago, mahavelona said:

Stunning work. It is great to see somebody attempting this important aircraft. If only some manufacturer would come along and give us a modern kit!

I've got a couple of this kit in the stash... One day I will brave them!

Dora Wings have one in the pipeline see:  https://www.hannants.co.uk/manufacturer/dora-wings/products?per_page=50&sort=price&search_direction=asc

Some photos of a friends effort on the same kit:

gj6nztq.jpg

mLp0dE0.jpg

EOgTKoq.jpg

IxH5LEb.jpg

Edited by Slywolff
  • Like 4

Very nice job on that kit-bash, Linescriber! I've been contemplating doing something like this, as I'm doing East African Campaign aircraft, and evidently one Wapiti was used as a communications aircraft. However, if Dora have one in the works (in 1/72nd scale), I'll wait for that.

Regards,

Jason

On 6/2/2019 at 8:08 PM, Pat C said:

Very nice build - my grandfather flew these with 27 Sqd over the NW frontier and I have always wanted to make one. 

Pat

Wow!! So it must have had an emerald green upper decking!!