Bronco Loyd Carrier

Thanks Robert.

The ammo boxes are sprayed up in a variety of greens prior to Klear and decals

spacer.png

The vehicle is sprayed with Mig Ammo One shot primer which works well to my mind

spacer.png

And then onto the colour choice.  Either SCC2 service drab or SCC15 Khaki drab.

I did some Acrylic paint mixes against Mike Starmer's Tamiya mixes on my old site.  I still reference them..

British Wartime Colour: SCC15 - Acrylic paint comparisons

British Wartime Colour: SCCNo2 - Acrylic paint comparisons

It's highly likely that many of these vehicles will have remained in service drab SCC2 well into and beyond D-day.  So to contrast with the QF 6Pdr, it's going to be SCC2 brown.

A highly problematic colour with none of the proprietary offerings (Mig Ammo, Hataka, AK Real) coming anywhere close.

It seems to have had a redddish tinge and is darker than most of the above off-the-shelf paints

I like Vallejo Model Air and my previous choice of mix for SCC2 was this 

Dark Earth : Cam Med Brown : Dirt at 2 : 1 : 1

However I added some Vallejo Panzer Aces Light Rust so the rather convoluted mix used here is

Dark Earth : Cam Med Brown : Dirt : PA Light Rust  @  4 : 2 : 2 : 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here's a comparison with my previous SCC2 attempt - the mix is indeed redder than the previous

spacer.png

I went to spray the tracks and interestingly both my Mig Ammo "Dark Tracks" and "Rust Tracks" bottles had gone off and were unusable :nono:  The Vallejo paints used in the mix predated the Mig Ammo paints by several years which is rather disapointing (for the Mig Ammo offerings).

spacer.png

Klear and decals next

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 17

Cracking job looking great so far with a bit of paint on the framework looks very delicate indeed I think my clumsy mitts would have it looking all sorts of different shapes :popcorn:

beefy 

• Like 2

Just picked up on this build Rob, very interesting and unusual subject. Will follow this through now I know it's here!

I was interested in the links above to the plastic panzers site - is that your site?

Thanks

Terry

• Like 2

Very nice color work and a beautiful build. On my search for Tiger I color schemes I also was linked to the Plastic Panzers site. Very interesting, never heard of it (bookmarked now).

Have a nice weekend.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan   

• Like 2

On 6/29/2019 at 8:22 PM, Terry1954 said:

Just picked up on this build Rob, very interesting and unusual subject. Will follow this through now I know it's here!

I was interested in the links above to the plastic panzers site - is that your site?

Thanks

Terry

Hi Terry - I originally got into AFV modelling through Vinnie Branigan on Military Modelling, then Model Armour which transformed into Plastic Armour and most recently Plastic Panzers.  I relocated because of the maritime modelling here, so my old site (rather than MY site) with some excellent modellers posting there.  Fond memories.

On 6/30/2019 at 3:59 AM, Robert Jan Scholte v. Mast said:

Very nice color work and a beautiful build. On my search for Tiger I color schemes I also was linked to the Plastic Panzers site. Very interesting, never heard of it (bookmarked now).

Have a nice weekend.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan   

Hey Thanks Robert!  A weekend for the most part watching Glastonbury on TV!!  Hope you had a good one.

And the rest of the W/E spent decalling :D  I like decalling.

spacer.png

Decals transform objects!

Detail painting and decals on the vehicle - depicting a 43rd Wessex  Infantry Division vehicle

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And work begins on the figure which I think.... is a Hornet offering - box lost and I can't remember where it originates from.  I stand to be corrected.

spacer.png

Ages since I've painted a 1/35 figure.  I stand by the inclusion in a scene as it always scales the vehicle.

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2019 at 9:00 PM, beefy66 said:

Cracking job on the carrier hope to get a few figure painting tips from this  :popcorn:

beefy

Beefy - I keep it simple.  Dark wash over the face - then highlights lighter flesh, highlights darker flesh and bottom lip and that's the face

Clothing is always painted with a dab of Tamiya Flat clear added to flatten the paint.  

Washes with AK - Clothing brown glaze

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And here's final weathering

spacer.png

spacer.png

RFI here Bronco Loyd Carrier and QF 6 Pdr

And that's a wrap....

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 13