Bronco Loyd Carrier

This was begun a long while ago and has sadly sat neglected with boats having got in the way.  So with a long boat build near completion  ML196 Fairmile B - Landing Craft Control, it's time for some light relief.

This model seems to have been somewhat disregarded by the modelling fraternity.

spacer.png

The rather unglamorous cousin to the universal carrier, over 26,000 were built for use as an artillery trailer and other general transport duties

This reference book is invaluable

spacer.png

This Build will fit with a Riich QF 6Pdr gun already long built.  In fact the Bronco offering now comes packaged with the gun.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Work commences with the engine which is admirably well detailed

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the Floor pan which builds without drama

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The bogie assembly is a little tricky with the springs 

spacer.png

an etch tool is pretty essential for some of the construction

spacer.png

spacer.png

More soon - thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 20

5 hours ago, robgizlu said:

The bogie assembly is a little tricky with the springs 

.........but it does make it look good though, better than Tamiya's moulded offerings. It's coming along nicely especially with the etched brass.

John.

• Like 1

Interesting. I hadn't realised that the Loyd was built on a chassis like a light truck.  I suppose I'd always assumed it was a monocoque like the Universal Carrier.  Was it actually a Ford truck chassis?  It was the same Ford V8 engine (and geabox?) as the Universals.

As you say, something of a Cinderella workhorse long in the shadow of its Universal cousin.  In many ways it can be seen as the successor to the Light Dragon.

Detail and fit look OK.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2019 at 12:53 AM, Das Abteilung said:

Interesting. I hadn't realised that the Loyd was built on a chassis like a light truck.  I suppose I'd always assumed it was a monocoque like the Universal Carrier.  Was it actually a Ford truck chassis?  It was the same Ford V8 engine (and geabox?) as the Universals.

As you say, something of a Cinderella workhorse long in the shadow of its Universal cousin.  In many ways it can be seen as the successor to the Light Dragon.

Detail and fit look OK.

Apparently the chassis originated from a Fordson 7V 15cwt truck and was simply reversed with the Ford V8 engine, not certain about the gearbox.

On 6/1/2019 at 3:54 PM, Bullbasket said:

.........but it does make it look good though, better than Tamiya's moulded offerings. It's coming along nicely especially with the etched brass.

John.

And the Brass is definitely fiddly:blink2:

On 6/2/2019 at 9:50 AM, longshanks said:

A lot of detail for what I imagine is quite a small model

Kev

Positively large compared to 1/72 you know whats ;)

On 6/2/2019 at 12:48 PM, robw_uk said:

always been tempted by this kit so will be watching

I think it's a very tidy kit Rob.

spacer.png

The tracks are link and length and whilst small went together reasonably happily

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

With the tracks completed - the trackguards, seats and sidewalls are worked on next

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 14

The side walls fit neatly and it belongs to look like a Loyd Carrier with it's distinctive sloping front

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

All together harder were the etched ammo rack frames, it was a struggle to keep them square and TBH - I made a bit of a hash of them

spacer.png

spacer.png

The front box will have a "Value Gear" Tarp sitting atop

spacer.png

The light guard was suitably taxing:unsure:

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 14

Thanks Kris.

The options are for a carrier without a tarp, with a tarp or just with a tarp frame.

It'll be important to see the interior so it's a carrier with a frame but without a tarp

spacer.png

Using Tamiya liquid cement the separate pieces are located using Gator grip PVA  glue and then the longitudinal section is "welded" with the Tamiya glue.  Easier than it threatened..

spacer.png

The "formers" for the tarp are heated in a Cigarette lighter flame to soften and then are "rolled" over a 2mm metal rod to "curve" them. on again easier than imagined...

spacer.png

spacer.png

The straps to hold the front tarp frame come in 2 bits and fitted easier than I feared...

spacer.png

Here's what the tarp looks like......

spacer.png

spacer.png

Should you wish ....... there are plastic parts to either add the side tarp panes raised or lowered.

I've been struck by this iconic photo of a Loyd carrier from the Wessex Regiment so I've tried to replicate the chain and rope around the front axle...

spacer.png

spacer.png

And one of the bonuses of this kit is all the stowage goodies supplied though sadly, the ammo boxes don't come with decals :weep:

A small purchase redresses this oversight :nodding:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Primer and paint next ...

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 13

Yes, I have to say Bronco has suitably impressed me here......really nice detail and all in one box. I just picked up a Bronco kit for the first time; an Opel saloon car. I think this carrier will join the stash in the near future.......really nice build and doesn’t seem problematic......doing a really nice job👍👍👍👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well looks like you are having a great time with this little kit and the details are great 

Nice change from the floating things.  :popcorn:

beefy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello. Hats off for the quality of modeling. I really like the build of this vehicle, tremendous job with all the detail shown. I wonder if these were left on the beach of Dunkirk? As I'm not familiar with any British or any Allied armor, would it be possible the Germans took them as Beute in the early days of WWII?

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robert Jan Scholte v. Mast said:

Hello. Hats off for the quality of modeling. I really like the build of this vehicle, tremendous job with all the detail shown. I wonder if these were left on the beach of Dunkirk? As I'm not familiar with any British or any Allied armor, would it be possible the Germans took them as Beute in the early days of WWII?

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Yes, plenty left behind. The British Universal Carrier's were a favourite of the German army.......a lot were sent to the eastern front.

• Like 1

Ok. But a Universal Carrier differs from a Loyd Carrier. Seen a lot of Universals on rail wagons with the Balken Kreuzen, never seen the Loyd's.

I simply love the looks of this kit, especially the exposed engine.

Kind regards and thanks for the info,

Robert Jan

• Like 1

The engine does have a metal cover around it. I suspect Rob's left it off for painting purposes. But it'd be easy enough to model it open to display the engine.

Tom

• Like 2

Thanks Fellas for all the kind comments.

On 6/18/2019 at 3:02 PM, Robert Jan Scholte v. Mast said:

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Jan, I'm not certain but I strongly suspect these did not form part of the BEF and as such would not have been at Dunkirk.  The Capricorn publication tells me that the first vehicles were only delivered to "combat units in second half of 1940".

Lots of Universal (Bren) Carriers but I suspect NO Loyd carriers.

On 6/18/2019 at 8:12 PM, Modelholic said:

The engine does have a metal cover around it. I suspect Rob's left it off for painting purposes. But it'd be easy enough to model it open to display the engine.

Tom

Correct Tom, It will be open at one side though I didn't "wire" the engine which I regret now

Rob

• Like 2