Arado 234 Hunchback

GREG DESTEC

Yep, its me again!

My last Frog kit from the stash, a Revell boxing of the Ar 234 Blitz with options to make the B, C, C2 versions, one including a V1 doodlebug.

Another great Frog kit from my childhood, and a VFM kit with all those options. At this point i am not sure which version to build. Preferences anybody???

Thanks for looking, Cheers Greg

47977571807_f7ae210cce_z.jpg

• Like 9

Now this is a nice model that appears to have quite a number of options and parts. One half of me is suggesting that you should build it as a plain straight bomber and the other half says go all the way with the four engines, RATO and V1, which incidentally would probably burn the back end of the Arado if it was ever lit! Please do your best not to make me want one of these? 

Cheers and thanks for participating.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Greg, just before Frog went under I was in a model shop and saw this and the Sea Vixen. Picked this one up and when I went back a month later the Vixen had gone and so had Frog! Nice kit and I will watch with interest. As I mentioned on my He162 thread I had an old Lindberg 234 so I cross kitted it with the spare C parts from the Frog kit, which I built as the B.

Pete

• Like 1

Greg you are copying my current 1/48 obsession on making the late war jets and the Anteater. All you need to add is a Me 262. I have this Ar 234 lined up on the work schedule as well for the end of the year.

As a result I will be interested in watching your progress. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

No half measures please, that means all the engines and the V1 is mandatory 

Good luck

cheers Pat

Cheers Pat,

It would be a shame to waste all those extra bits, however this does mean I will have to find enough weight to stop it tail sitting without breaking the undercarriage 😯

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Cheers Pat,

It would be a shame to waste all those extra bits, however this does mean I will have to find enough weight to stop it tail sitting without breaking the undercarriage 😯

Cheers Greg 👍

Greg,

I seem to recall getting enough weight is was a problem due to lack of space though I may be wrong.

Pete

• Like 2

I remember sending away to BMW Models for the FROG kit when it came out - advert on the back of the Airfix Magazine. I remember wondering if it could get off the ground with all that gear on it. 

The kit seemed to be a bit of a departure for FROG, who weren't really known for putting lots of alternative parts in their boxes. 

I also remember picking up this Revell boxing as well. I think it's been in a Matchbox box too? 

John 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John said:

I remember sending away to BMW Models for the FROG kit when it came out - advert on the back of the Airfix Magazine. I remember wondering if it could get off the ground with all that gear on it. 

The kit seemed to be a bit of a departure for FROG, who weren't really known for putting lots of alternative parts in their boxes. 

I also remember picking up this Revell boxing as well. I think it's been in a Matchbox box too? 

John 

You are quite right John, I have seen this one in a Matchbox boxing too. My Do 335 is a Matchbox edition.

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 2

On 6/2/2019 at 11:10 PM, John said:

John 

That brings back memories - paid them a visit back in 1970 when in London for an interview - I had seen their ads for a good few years. Poky little shop. originally a builders merchants  hence BMW. Long gone of course.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finished this same one for a 'Captured' GB a couple of months back - filled the front half of the engine nacelles with lead and some weight behind the cockpit worked a treat.

I enjoyed it and look forward to seeing you do a better job of it than I did!

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

Finished this same one for a 'Captured' GB a couple of months back - filled the front half of the engine nacelles with lead and some weight behind the cockpit worked a treat.

I enjoyed it and look forward to seeing you do a better job of it than I did!

Cheers,

Dermot

Great looking Arado there Dermo 👍

thanks for the tip a bout the weights and the link to your build 😀

I need to get on with mine now! 

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 7:05 PM, PeterB said:

That brings back memories - paid them a visit back in 1970 when in London for an interview - I had seen their ads for a good few years. Poky little shop. originally a builders merchants  hence BMW. Long gone of course.

I know this is 'off topic', and I apologise in advance (and will remove it and wear a hair shirt when the moderators catch up with me! :worry:), but...

I used to visit BMW when I was at school in Wandsworth and wondered why it was called that (they didn't sell cars as far as I could tell). bought my first (of many) FROG Ta152H there!

And, as I'm on the subject of model shops in SW London (I might as well carry on digging my hole a bit deeper :giggle:), does anyone recall J&B Models in Putney? On the Upper Richmond Road near East Putney station, an even pokier little shop run by a chap from north America I think (Canadian?) who never had much time for schoolkids like me. Probably my lack of spending power. I'd spend ages in there looking at the completed models, the kits on the shelf, dreaming. Looks like it may be a barber shop now.

Anyway, thanks Greg, I love late war jets and have lots in the stash including a Dragon Arado 234B. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Charlie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Johnson said:

I know this is 'off topic', and I apologise in advance (and will remove it and wear a hair shirt when the moderators catch up with me! :worry:), but...

I used to visit BMW when I was at school in Wandsworth and wondered why it was called that (they didn't sell cars as far as I could tell). bought my first (of many) FROG Ta152H there!

And, as I'm on the subject of model shops in SW London (I might as well carry on digging my hole a bit deeper :giggle:), does anyone recall J&B Models in Putney? On the Upper Richmond Road near East Putney station, an even pokier little shop run by a chap from north America I think (Canadian?) who never had much time for schoolkids like me. Probably my lack of spending power. I'd spend ages in there looking at the completed models, the kits on the shelf, dreaming. Looks like it may be a barber shop now.

Anyway, thanks Greg, I love late war jets and have lots in the stash including a Dragon Arado 234B. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie 👍

No probs reminiscing here. It's bound to happen when these old kits see the light of day again.

I hope to get going on the Arado shortly,

Cheers Greg 😁

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2019 at 8:38 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Greg

Have you done anymore to the Arado since we last heard from you ?

Cheers Pat

Just about to get started on this one Pat :) as i have just finished the Stuka and the Do 335

Cheers, Greg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Your Stuka and Arrow look the business, well done !

Looking forward to seeing this one, with V1 and 4 engines ?

Yep, 

I'm gonna go for broke and use as many of the bits in the box as possible 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Quick update on this one....

I have assembled the main components and filled seams etc. All good so far. The engines are built up/filled/sanded and the V1 is ready too.

In the photo you will see the cockpit component clipped in place and the barren spave that the pilot and his seat will occupy along with a large hole, which as far as i can see is totally useless.

Dry fit of the transpartent bits look promising and reasoably clear so i will add a few bits in the pit to fill it up a bit more. 

TFL Greg

48482229091_6b6aff7ed1_z.jpg

48482381992_422f2ebedc_z.jpg

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Nice progress!

Looks like the fit of the nacelles was somewhat approximate.

Regards

Martin

PS if it looks busy now, what about when the RATO units go on.

• Thanks 1

I think it looks fine Greg, the four engine configuration is unusual. And you've managed to use almost as much filler as I have on my Sea Fury (but not quite :unsure:).

Cheers!

• Like 1