1/103 scale Short Sealand (383P) ++FINISHED++

CliffB

Don't you just love it when the postman knocks on your door?

P1100692.JPG

Unfortunately I've lots of boring stuff to do today, so will show you what's inside the box later.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 17

Another box scale kit surfaces! 

Apparently the Sealand makes an appearance in a Tin Tin story. No idea what one, but if that's so, an interesting colour scheme could be a contender.

• Like 1

Wow, Cliff. Never even heard of this aircraft before and now it surfaces up in a GB? 

Looking forward to seeing what lurks inside, there's bound to be a few surprises I'm sure. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Hi Cliff,

As the Cocardes site do not review it I was getting it mixed up with the Seaford late model Sunderland variant. Wiki says only a couple of dozen of these made and I was totally unaware Frog modelled it - nice one.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Good Lord Cliff where do you find these Kit's?

Hi Steve.  Inspired by the GB, I looked through the Scalemates listing of FROG kits to see if there was anything 1/100ish that I didn't know about.  I saw the Sealand, which was completely new to me.

On the off-chance, I then searched on eBay and amazingly this one popped up.  It wasn't cheap (you cound buy a very nice, large scale, multi-media kit for the same money), but it was worth it to me to get such exotica in my 1/100 collection :coolio:

8 hours ago, TonyW said:

Another box scale kit surfaces! 

Apparently the Sealand makes an appearance in a Tin Tin story. No idea what one, but if that's so, an interesting colour scheme could be a contender.

Hi Tony.  The Tin Tin option sounds great, but unfortunately I'll be finishing this one as a military aircraft.  Yugoslav Navy to be precise.

7 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

And serious contender for the obscure scale prize😁

Yes, manufacturing to a standard box size certainly throws up some oddities!

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Wow, Cliff. Never even heard of this aircraft before and now it surfaces up in a GB? 

Looking forward to seeing what lurks inside, there's bound to be a few surprises I'm sure. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Here's what's inside Dave.

P1100693.JPG

P1100694.JPG

As you can see, a previous owner has made a start and has assembled the fuselage (and a few other parts).  He's already put the side cabin windows in and thankfully has done a pretty good job.

It's not that clear in photo, but this kit has placement markings engraved into the plastic for each decal, including every single cheat line.  As a result, bits of the fuselage appear more corrugated that a Junkers!

The side of the box says paint and glue included, but alas not in mine....

45 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Outstanding Cliff

The last one I saw of these was in a museum, and you were not allowed to touch !

Really looking forward to seeing this one.

cheers Pat

Thanks Pat.  Yes, the last one I saw was in a museum too - at Belgrade airport.  That's influenced my choice of scheme ;)

I'm assuming we're talking full-size, rather than models?

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Hi Cliff,

As the Cocardes site do not review it I was getting it mixed up with the Seaford late model Sunderland variant. Wiki says only a couple of dozen of these made and I was totally unaware Frog modelled it - nice one.

Pete

Thanks Pete

Yes, it must have been a pretty esoteric subject even at the time.  It makes you wonder how the decision was made at FROG to produce it?

• Like 1

That's a real beauty Cliff. It's a pity about the engraved decal placements but this kit is so rare you just have to accept whatever goes, I think. 

There's some real beauties already listed within this GB, however for some reason I'm thinking that this one will prove to be quite popular choice. 

Cheers and all the best for a great build.. Dave  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2019 at 11:34 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Come on @CliffB 

You are not being fair you got all excited and we have all been eagerly awaiting the next instalment !

cheers Pat

Sorry Pat.  For various reasons I haven't done any modelling for the last 3 weeks! I'm back at the a bench now though :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

At last, I'm finally making a start with this GB :).  My very late start means that I'm unlikely to complete my four planned builds and so I'm having to prioritise which one to start with.

I've chosen the Sealand, mainly because it's going to be part of the IPMS Serbia display at this year's ScaleModelWorld (which celebrates last year's centenary of Yugoslav naval aviation), and so simply must be finished!

To help me, a friend has lent me this 1/72 Lift Here! Sealand kit as something to refer to for markings etc.

IMG_1567.jpg

My first job has been to sort out the interior, which the previous owner had painted an orange-red colour before cementing the two fuselage halves together.  The red looked odd to my eyes, particularly in the cockpit, so I have tried to sort it out a bit.

A tentative attempt to prise apart the two fuselage halves failed, so I decided to leave well alone.  Instead,  I've tried to disguise/repaint the interior as best I can through the cockpit window (luckily, this piece of glazing has not been fitted yet) :hypnotised:

The first issue was that there was see-through from the cockpit into the cabin.  This allowed the red in the cabin to be seen and also increased illumination in that area.

IMG_1564.jpg

It's not too clear in the photo, but hopefully you can see what I mean (as an aside, the photo also shows the gaps that exist around the individual cabin windows, which I'll need to fill with thinned PVA).

To stop the see-through, I made this bulkhead from 10 thou card.

IMG_1565.jpg

And here it is in-situ.  When the glue has firmly set, I'll cut off the tabs.  I've painted the cockpit interior grey, in line with the painting instructions in the Lift Here! kit.

IMG_1566.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 15

A good day on the Sealand today.

IMG_1573.jpg

All the kit parts have now been assembled, although there are a few additional lumps and bumps that I still want to add.

Filling all the recessed decal placement markers was a chore, but gives quite an impressive effect! 

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 12

Hi Cliff,

I too have been out of it for a few weeks. As you can imagine I'm really jealous & really stoked for you at the same time, I know how you must have felt when you found & then secured this kit, there's nowt like it, I felt pretty much the same when I found the smaller of the Rockwell Commander kits. Good on yer!

Edited by spaddad
  • Like 1

Thanks for all your comments guys - they're much appreciated!

It took a few applications of primer and Mr Surfacer, but I finally got rid of all the unwanted engraved detail.

P1100839.jpg

As you can see, I've also added a few details from my spares box.  From the front: mooring point, step, astrodome, mast (it really is that big!) and tail wheel.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to get some paint on later today,

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 9

And it's finished :)

P1100840.jpg

Thanks to all who have supported this build - especially Pat and Dave our trusty Hosts :cheers:

Next up will be the Hampden.....

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1