Stolly question ?

ivan-o

Just taken delivery of AA’s kit 😀

Now for the life of me i can’t remember the base colour of the cab!(not dementia I hope).

AA have it down as green but I have a feeling it was manky silver,am I right or wrong?

I might be able to have a look inside a preserved one at the weekend. If I remember, and if I can get to it, I'll let you know. 

But it was a soft-skin, and their interior paint was usually the exterior colour so green is looking favourite.  It is plausible that the interior might originally have been Deep Bronze Green and would most likely not have been repainted when the outside went to IRR green/black.  I don't know if Mk2s would have been factory finished in DBG or IRR.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ivan-o said:

Just taken delivery of AA’s kit 😀

Now for the life of me i can’t remember the base colour of the cab!(not dementia I hope).

AA have it down as green but I have a feeling it was manky silver,am I right or wrong?

As an ex-driver of the very first Stalwart issued to 33 Squadron RCT in 1967, I can confirm they were green, My Stalwart (one of 11 issued to the regiment)09ER48 arrived in 1967 with only delivery mileage on it, however, the foot plate beneath the foot controls soon wore down to natural metal, but only the high ridges...…...currently finishing the KFS 1/24 Stalwart...………………...these were the days when car polish was used on them...…..especially after an exercise!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are a few of my Stalwart and other pictures of vehicles that I drove, ALL Stalwarts were delivered to the army in Deep Bronze Green as the IR colours had not been even thought about at this stage

http://miliblog.co.uk/?cat=471

• Like 1

Nice pics @rayprit  I remember a Landrover amby getting wrote off (they used to roll all the time) and replacement base vehicle arrived from depot still in DBG, looked a bit funny with the camo body on it.

• 1 month later...

Bit late but my memory of driving one in the 70's as an air cadet on camp at Gutersloh but out for a day on exercise is they were green inside. For someone 6ft5 even then it felt like I was sitting on the floor!

Cabs where green, engine compartment was silver , Engine was a duck egg blue the rest of the components where silver . Don't forget the white lines on the hubs  or the outer wheel nuts painted Red .

Ex Stollie driver, Arty Limber FV623 HMLC. 90 ET 97 ex 40 Fld Regt in Gutersloh 77-80.

Edited by Niallmhor4942
Forget something