Avro Shackleton MR.3

201 Sqn, St. Mawgan, 1964

I thought I would get this one posted up before the new Revell kit appears. This is of course the Frog / re-issued by Revell kit. Decals are straight from the Revell issue and were very good. Lots of rivet removal and re-scribing were the main features. The operating bomb doors, flaps and tail surfaces were a nice feature of the kit which didn't distract from scale appearance.

IMG_2592

IMG_2593

IMG_2626

IMG_2627

IMG_2632

IMG_2636

IMG_2639

IMG_2641

• Like 52
  • Thanks 2

Fabulous! That's a great result from an old kit. I've done a few Frog kits from my dearly departed Dad's stash, and there's really something to be said about the (sometimes brutal) simplicity. Such an anachronism, but a great subject. 

Good times. ☺

Don’t know those old moulds (from the 70s?), but I bet they’re pretty basic. Looking at the finished model no one would have guessed its origins, I thought it was Airfix new mould. Clearly a labour of love, great paint work and some superb scratch details

Very nice, Chris. I remember those rivets from a build of this kit (Frtog) in the 70s. It felt like holding a hedgehog! ;). You've done a great job.

Martin

• Like 1

Lovely job!! I was seriously thinking of getting shot of the one I have left and getting the new kit as the -3 is my favourite Shack.. Now I'm wondering if it'll produce much of a better result. Still, whether I could ever get mine to look that good is open to debate! 

Cracking Shack.!

Keith

Hello CT,

You performed a fantastic job in transforming this old mold into a beauty MK3

My highest compliments for this achievement.

Regards, Orion.

Marvelous job and as already said hard to imagine that the end result is from a kit and all its rivets that originated in 1967 , as far as I recall all that Revell did thirty years later was to clean up the moulds a bit so that there was not as much flash on some of the parts , excellent example of why not to dismiss older kits.

Fantastic.  Years ago I tried using the Aeroclub conversion on that kit to make a AEW version.  It languishes to this day.  Great work, my man.  😀

That's a superb looking Shackleton that just goes to show what can be done with an old kit.  I have done the same with my kit (removed rivets and re-scribed) but I can say for sure the work is not in the same class.  Of course, after the laborious sanding and re-scribing job Revell then went and announced a new kit!

• Like 1