F242 Wildcat vs Copycat

SAU

A double build with an original F242F together with the Minicraft improved copy released in 1987

The Academy boxart with an FM-1 but the simplified decal sheet doesn't have all the necessary decals for a VC-13 aircraft.

Also the F4F-4 kit has 6 cannons and an FM-1 only 4...

47967228147_6404917292_o.jpg by Jan H, auf Flickr

Minor differencies here, mostly fin and rudder. The Minicraft recessed panel lines on the fuselage are sharp but very deep

47967228112_eb902779ee_o.jpg by Jan H, auf Flickr

and the same here... The Frog kit lacking a landing gear part. Scratch or wheels up, let's see...

47967283641_15913d2b2d_o.jpg by Jan H, auf Flickr

Frog decals for a

881 NAS Tirpitz attack Wildcat/Martlet V = FM-1 = 4 guns modification

VF-9 Operation Torch F4F-4

• Like 7

This will be a nice duo build Jan and you have well illustrated the heritage of Acedemy's kit (99% all Frog). I like how Academy have reworked the lower wing pieces in order to reduce the thickness of the trailing edges. Seems they were quite happy with the Stand, so left that included too. I look forward to seeing how you go and will probably look out for one of these Acadamy kit's should I come across a cheapo one day. I'll put you down for two builds in the 'Build Thread'. 

Cheers and thanks for joining... Dave  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I almost spilled out my beer when I felt someone  :poke: me.   I've spent a week at the west coast with no worries of anything but holiday plans. 😎😎

Well then, I did some before I left and the plan was a parallel build but an Academy always looks better when still in the box.

The Academy is bulgier, bigger cowling ring. stubbier prop. If you look at the wheels, the Frog look like the real thing (more or less)

Academy, why turn the wheels around and set the hard edged (brake) side on the outside?

47986849753_a158544774_b.jpg by Jan H, auf Flickr

I'll try to modify the Academy landing gear to fit in the Frog, differs a bit in size and placing, and I'll build the Academy wheels up

47986902386_b5a90f52b9_b.jpg by Jan H, auf Flickr

Some dull green paint in the cockpit

48030615541_d3bf6e240f_b.jpg by Jan H, auf Flickr

The Frog kit got a bulkhead to prevent to see through the kit when the landing gear is down

48030656048_4ef3f64a43_b.jpg by Jan H, auf Flickr

This is how I left it more than a week ago. The Frog kit has the outer guns removed and panel lines scraped off to make a four-gun Wildcat Mk V

48162888802_5eabe36135_b.jpg by Jan H, auf Flickr

• Like 8

Nice update... thanks for showing us. So it would appear that there are some additional differences between Frog's original and Academy's copy. Interesting stuff. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1