Airfix Dauntless with Hasegawa part transplants

Good moaning,

This project was a gift from a fellow BM member on one of our Plonk and Plastic gatherings, the vintage Airfix Dauntless was just the parts along with an extra Hasegawa Dauntless sprue and decals that were in one of his Hasegawa Dauntless kits!! I'm replacing the Airfix engine, cockpit interior, canopy, tailhook and some smaller items with Hasegawa parts, which go without saying are far superior to the 1967Airfix offering! The hardest part to replace was the engine, as the Airfix cowling is quite thick and needed the wall thinned drastically! The cockpit interior went a lot easier and only required minor alterations!

So far I have drilled out all the dive brake holes (200+), attached the wings to the assembled fuselage and fixed on the cowling.... Airfix left off the exhausts on the cowls, I'm using replacement aftermarket resin parts, and they left off the covers to the two forward-firing machine guns which I replicated with Milliput! They also left out the recessed bomb area, easy to replicate... Here are photos of where I am up to right now: BTW I am leaving the Airfix rivets on as they add to the aircraft demure....oh as to why I am not building the superior Hasegawa kit, well they are bloody hard to get hold of and go for a lot of money on E-bay ... missed out on two so far but am still looking!! 🙂

EqcpWK9.jpg

CMICrHl.jpg

u7jCLVB.jpg

HWimeUv.jpg

hM9WMMD.jpg

hJ5qtSZ.jpg

tm3if07.jpg

3A7FYti.jpg

pmaiJAY.jpg

Y5Rzp6T.jpg

Typical of that vintage the wheel wells are open and show the bottom of the cockpit floor... so I filled these in with card under the cockpit and thin plastic card around the wheel wells, quite easy really:

3ElE0KR.jpg

Zx11vfn.jpg

Drilled the holes to locate the missing exhaust stubs;

yawMsH9.jpg

Edited by Slywolff
update
  • Like 14

14 hours ago, Slywolff said:

So far I have drilled out all the dive brake holes (200+).......

I know what you‘re talking about.......🤪

Great job so far! 

Edited by Stromness

11 hours ago, Stromness said:

I know what you‘re talking about.......🤪

Great job so far! 

Thank you! She now has her legs, Airfix seems to have got the angle of the legs right!!

Edited by Slywolff

Brilliant, I've a couple of these Airfix kits in stock & while not having any spare Hasegawa bits, I'll be keen to see what improvements need making. already the gun bulges & bomb recess step out.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello...

A pleasant Monday Queens Birthday weekend public holiday here in Sydney, a chance to do some gardening and modelling.

In the past I never bother to undercoat any of the kits I build as getting all the airbrush stuff together seems like too much effort, however having discovered (thanks to others) that a Tamiya rattle can will do the trick with little effort I am a convert, well while I have Tamiya Primer in my possession! So with this project I did undercoat the model and it worked bloody brilliantly... hm something went wrong then 🙂

Next I did a pre-shade of the underneath of the aircraft using Revell Black enamel, just brush painted on... This afternoon I sprayed the Grey underneath as per the Airfix kit instructions, using Humbrol 129... I just wanted to put enough paint on to give a faded sense of pre-shading that is not to have it too glaring.. just soft enough..

I think it looks okay, any thoughts?? I think though, next time I shall paint a thinner pre-shaded line...

On to the photos:

HYjYQbX.jpg

IEu9gwB.jpg

mrah2RR.jpg

kx5PXOC.jpg

uud2pF5.jpg

EETRf2O.jpg

• Like 5

Nice build!

Since my last Airfix Dauntless was twisted like an banana I never goes close those kits again. I recognised this after I had drilled out all those dive brake holes. :(

Your Airfix Dauntless looks surpricingly straight compared too what I've seen of other builds. It would bee interesting to see your build angled up straight with the lined background on your pictures...

Following

your build with interest!

Cheers / André

• Like 1

This is a great build. When I read how you planned to do the pre-shading I was dubious, but it works incredibly well! Just shows that being open minded is healthy. I continually learn from others on here.

Watching with much interest.

Terry

• 1 month later...

Well since last we met! I've got quite a bit done, with luck this will be finished by the end of this week!

For the Sea Grey I used a Model Masters enamel bottle (almost said tin) 1720, which I read somewhere was a perfect match for a Dauntless pulled out of Lake Michigan, well it does look good as a colour match but these machines were so worn and weathered I'm not sure it matters too much!

The upper surface pre shading did not go as well as I had hopped, but I am still learning so...

yeYWl2x.jpg

kJOlpg6.jpg

O8FvoYw.jpg

Masking tape and Silly Putty did the job..

HNGiGM7.jpg

On to the Falcon Canopy for the Dauntless kit, this vacform canopy set is designed for the Airfix kit, mind you the Airfix canopy parts are unusable.. and I don't feel the Hasegawa ones need replacing at all!

vDSWSF8.jpg

WaWCNXv.jpg

Mtpr7qx.jpg

cP7mpED.jpg

E3lm1gx.jpg

ZfXdoBn.jpg

XBZa8PA.jpg

B9KCqA3.jpg

80RNWGg.jpg

I have also attached the resin replacement wheels and attached the kit u/c doors.

WhQmd1v.jpg

The gunners canopy I think should have been two parts on its own... you can see what I mean by the photos:

iSNlqDP.jpg

E9m2Z1X.jpg

xJIk0vp.jpg

Next, I have to paint the holes of the dive brakes red.. all two hundred plus of the.... pardon me if I don't rush that process!!!!

Just found these which I'll quickly include.. older progress shots:

The canopies after separation...

kTOdk9s.jpg

I recently bought one of these multiple kit parts holders and it is so dead useful!! Wish I had obtained one before now..

WH4OgfP.jpg

Uj7NzUJ.jpg

Edited by Slywolff
added photos
  • Like 4