F190 Bristol Blenheim

SAU

Hello everyone

Here's my Eastern Express release of the Frog F190

47967258301_989f3fec03_b.jpg by Jan H, auf Flickr

I want to push for a coming Nordic GB :whistle:  with a finnish Blenheim

BL-117 was from the Bristol manufactured Series 1 and was placed at LeLV 44 at the time for the Winter war

47967258256_b2e9498802_b.jpg by Jan H, auf Flickr

All parts looking good with barely any flash at all

47967258166_90bb6d8471_b.jpg by Jan H, auf Flickr

• Like 10

I agree. It comes out very well. I updated mine with a PE cockpit and scratch built the back of the cockpit. I made the mistake of scribing the panel lines. Mine had very hard plastic which made it very difficult and seen as it was my first scribing project you can image the mess. However, lots of super glue filling later it came out very nice. It sits in my cabinet waiting for the Beaufort to keep it company.

35 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

It’s a lovely kit (once you find a replacement turret!). Will be watching this one.

Regards,

Adrian

I did find a picture of BL-117 with the turret retracted. I'll see what I have in my spares box

Some of the finnish Blenheims did have modified bomb bay doors too but I think they first came at the 2-Sarja

BTW, I've got both your builds as reference. They have helped a lot .:thumbsup2:

13 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

I agree. It comes out very well. I updated mine with a PE cockpit and scratch built the back of the cockpit. I made the mistake of scribing the panel lines. Mine had very hard plastic which made it very difficult and seen as it was my first scribing project you can image the mess. However, lots of super glue filling later it came out very nice. It sits in my cabinet waiting for the Beaufort to keep it company.

• Like 1

Hi SAU,

Built another one a few months ago and was pleased with the result. I added an instrument panel and exhaust tailpipes from plastic tube, dropped the turret into the "semi-retracted" position , and added desert air filters and it looks much better than the original I made almost 50 years ago - maybe my modelling has improved a little.

Looking forward to seeing your - good luck.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Another Classic that has stood the test of time IMO. I quite like the Frog Blenheim and really should build my example before I tackle my two new tooled Airfix kits. I'll look forwrad to watching you build this one. 

Cheers ad best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

Those are the markings used after the Finns switched sides and turned on their former German allies. They still use a similar marking.

Chris

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Those are the markings used after the Finns switched sides and turned on their former German allies. They still use a similar marking.

Chris

Haha, yes, please count us as one of the winning countries of the WW2 in the end :rofl2:. Like France and Italy are.

The roundel has actually been in use at least since the beginning of our independence in troop and lowest rank nco caps and furhats.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Haha, yes, please count us as one of the winning countries of the WW2 in the end :rofl2:. Like France and Italy are.

The roundel has actually been in use at least since the beginning of our independence in troop and lowest rank nco caps and furhats.

It's too bad that the Nazis ruined the use of that ancient symbol. Now no one can ever use it again.  In the very early 20th century, the small town of Windsor, Nova Scotia, on Canada's east coast and just a few miles from where I grew up, had a hockey team called the Swastikas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windsor_Swastikas

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Actually, it's not completely forgotten and banned. Our son will serve his conscription in Ilmavoimat, beginning early July this year. He'll first enter the Ilmasotakoulu, the military aviation academy, to be trained as an auxiliary mechanic, later to be transfered and serve as one in a squadron. So, check out the flag of Ilmasotakoulu:

https://fi.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilmasotakoulu

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi @SAU

Have you had a chance to start on the Blenheim yet ?

Cheers Pat 

Oh yes, but I hade some busy weeks before holiday and saved the pictures for later.

A bit of fighting to straighten up one of the wings

47986900926_c7ddcac1f3_b.jpg by Jan H, auf Flickr

Down to the spray booth with the rest of the Frog family and I can tease you with a kit that doesn't have a build thread yet. :bye:

48163950781_5220687e32_b.jpg by Jan H, auf Flickr

Aircraft grey-green and I hope I didn't miss any spots that show up later

48163807021_11c0a7b302_b.jpg by Jan H, auf Flickr

I usually try to glue the seams exactly to prevent any edges but this one slipped a bit when it lay to dry over the night so a bit of puttying and sanding required.

And of course, those gigantic skis are really cool and almost a must when you build a finnish plane.

48163807031_65f311b1a4_b.jpg by Jan H, auf Flickr

• Like 7

I'm delighted to see the progress you have made and the mystery model is an excellent tease.

Brilliant to see the Finnish version with skis but not half as much as @vppelt68 as V-P is likely to be buying you chocolates and flowers for this one !

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 1

Well done Jan and the additional 'new' kit is an exciting edition (build thread when you're ready?).

Now this Blenheim is coming up quite nicely and I do agree that Finns and Ski's do seem to go hand in hand one would think. 

Thanks for the update and excellent progress. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

On 01/07/2019 at 01:29, JOCKNEY said:

Brilliant to see the Finnish version with skis but not half as much as @vppelt68 as V-P is likely to be buying you chocolates and flowers for this one !

Cheers Pat 

Pat, not just chocolates and flowers :cheers:!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is really bringing back memories of my build. I had the same colour plastic. It was very hard. I literally had to big my engines out of a pile of flash.

You are lucky yours is so clean.

• 3 weeks later...