Sherman V DD

• 1 month later...

Well I’ve had the first chance in the last 2 months to sit down at the desk for an hour. I managed to finally get the rear plate and exhaust ducts into place with a lot of trimming and shimming. Still got some gap filling to do.

aJyNAkr.jpg

Thats the last of the main body of construction, the rest is all detailing now. Plus the tracks to make.

not the most exciting of updates but it’s progress!!

• Like 7

This does look like something of an epic task.  I'm not a fan of all-resin kits either.  Gold star for perseverance.  It does perhaps surprise me that DD conversion kits aren't available for some of the many injection plastic kits out there.

It also surprises me that DDs weren't all based on M4A2 Sherman IIIs with the diesel engines, being less susceptible to water in the engine electrics.  There were more than enough of them, but apparently problems with finalising the design and the Sherman V DD became the predominant variant.  I have no idea why the III should have been any more difficult than the V: in many respects it ought to have been the other way around, with the V being longer, heavier and less well balanced and the III having no rear engine access doors.  The few (80?) Sherman II DDs were US vehicles transferred back to make up the numbers.

When used properly the DDs were very successful, but were very susceptible to swamping in anything but the slightest swell.  On D Day the US tanks were mostly launched too far out in a sea that was too rough and a cross current that was too strong.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We’ll progress has been slow, due to life and trying to figure out where all the tiny bits of PE go. But I managed to pick up a third resicast DD, this time one of the Sherman II ones and one of the more recent releases (with proper instructions) for about half the normal price. This one came with a CD of loads of reference pics of DDs that were used for designing the kits so I’ve finally been able to figure out where everything goes and crack on!

most PE is done now, small bit left to do on the front. Next job is to add weld beads to all the PE parts to secure them on better and fill lots of gaps in the underside. I’ve also ordered a set of the newly released star decals set of Shermans on the beach from their D Day 75 anniversary collection which has markings for several DDs so I’m all set now!

anyway, pics:

VPOKHPl.jpg

JlvOB9w.jpg

• Like 8

On 10/18/2019 at 10:29 PM, Das Abteilung said:

This does look like something of an epic task.  I'm not a fan of all-resin kits either.  Gold star for perseverance.  It does perhaps surprise me that DD conversion kits aren't available for some of the many injection plastic kits out there.

It also surprises me that DDs weren't all based on M4A2 Sherman IIIs with the diesel engines, being less susceptible to water in the engine electrics.  There were more than enough of them, but apparently problems with finalising the design and the Sherman V DD became the predominant variant.  I have no idea why the III should have been any more difficult than the V: in many respects it ought to have been the other way around, with the V being longer, heavier and less well balanced and the III having no rear engine access doors.  The few (80?) Sherman II DDs were US vehicles transferred back to make up the numbers.

When used properly the DDs were very successful, but were very susceptible to swamping in anything but the slightest swell.  On D Day the US tanks were mostly launched too far out in a sea that was too rough and a cross current that was too strong.

The British used DDs successfully during their Rhine crossings late in March 1945. 

I want those in injection moulded plastic! PLEASE!

Rhine crossing and Walcheren DDs were all III DDs AFAIK, i.e. M4A2 diesels.  The skirt internal structure was improved somewhat and they may have had power steering and air compressors: lessons learned from D Day.

Bovington's DD is a III and has the improved skirt but still has the air tanks and manual steering.  It may also be one of the almost-mythical Pullman Standard built tanks: especially rare.

Not sure how it would work in injection plastic, especially the skirt.  Lots of fine parts in the structure.  I guess both folded and erected configurations could be tooled.  Flexible material sounds like a non-starter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Flexible material sounds like a non-starter

Dragon could do it in DS maybe? I don’t think it would be that difficult a design, if you did all the struts in the folded position. I think they’d sell like hot cakes.

And yet look how well DS has worked out for Dragon.  Not............!

An open screen could be injection-moulded in sections, as could a closed one.  With separate plastic and etched parts for some of the inner structure plus struts.  Some could be moulded integrally with satisfactory finesse and detail.  Disguising the join lines would be a pain as there are no natural joins or seams to speak of. 

With the later self-locking struts each of them has an air line for unlocking.  There's a lot of fiddly parts inside the screen.  This is just the back of the screen across the back of the hull on a III DD,  Tubes not inflated. 

p6uIsf0.jpg

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I’ve had a bit of time at the bench recently so thought I’d try and get this one close to completion. I’ve got all the PE on now and added putty to secure/imitate weld beads on it all and added weld beads to the underside and rear. I’ve just got a few details to add (stowage/blanket box) and the tracks to do. I’ve cut all the links and end connectors of the sprues, just need to assemble them now!

WV53DNM.jpg

IQ7faBc.jpg

• Like 13

On 12/12/2020 at 3:45 PM, Longbow said:

Looking really good !! 
I have one of these a 1/4 complete in the stash. 
A fascinating vehicle indeed. 

Thanks, you need to get it out and finish it!

More work done, someone on a FB post pointed out the co-ax MG stuck out to far so I had to correct it. It was well stuck in and I managed to break the gun shield and damaged the MG in doing so. Replaced the gun shield with an armorscale one and managed to salvage enough of the cooling jacket for the MG.

Also added the stand odd blanket box that a lot of 13/18 hussars DDs had. All I’ve got left to do now is the tracks and stowage and it’s ready for paint!

BVPxD5u.jpg

awSeyVy.jpg

45SG7X0.jpg

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Nice work with the blanket box and the frame work that it sits on.

John.

Thanks John. A little bit of artistic licence as I’ve not found any clear pics of the mountings, particularly on the underneath.

5 hours ago, Longbow said:

I love the look of these vehicles, especially fresh off the beach, and a little inland....

I may have missed it in the thread, but which markings are you using ?

cheers, I’m going to do it as a 13/18 hussars vehicle, probably turret number 41 using mostly star decals set but a bit of an amalgamation of different sets.

ive just ordered some VMS debonder to remove the superglue residue on the various surfaces before ready for primer.

Edited by bigfoot
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Been a while since I did anything on this as I have been distracted by the PzIII group build, but behold! There is paint! I used Mike Starmers mix for the SCC15 on it.

pw0H6gw.jpg

mOAj4ea.jpg

7V96Vzt.jpg

• Like 18

On 18/05/2021 at 16:16, bigfoot said:

There is paint! I used Mike Starmers mix for the SCC15 on it.

And it looks good too. Nice work. It's shaping up really well BF.

John.

• Thanks 1