Sherman V DD

My entry for this GB is going to be a Sherman V DD shortly after d day with the screens removed. It’s an older resicast kit and I’m going to replace the tracks with some aftermarket ones. Just need to source some decals for the turret numbers.

EQALDvX.jpg

And box contents.

ERKaBqb.jpg

shoukd be a fun little build.

• Like 17

nice choice Bigfoot, the Resicast kit was a little out of my price range. I had a go at scratch building one off a tasca Kit, I've still got the rear to finish off.

image.jpg

• Like 11

Thanks for the interest. I’ve seen your build and you’ve done a great job of converting the kit. I managed to bag this kit off eBay for little more than the cost of a tasca kit. I also managed to pick up a DD with the screens attached but that will be for another time!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Clean up has begun whilst watching some d-day documentaries. The join between the transmission cover and lower hull is going to take a bit of fettling to sit smoothly. Instructions leave a bit to be desired as well, trying to work out that is tank and what is flash takes a bit of pondering in some places!

NXL21q3.jpg

Edited by bigfoot
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Looks like good progress.  I'm guessing there is no gluing yet?

Thanks Robert. No gluing yet, plenty of clean up and test fitting first before committing glue to resin. Although next step will be the suspension which I should be able to get glued up relatively quickly.

• Like 2

Fitted another couple of hours in at the bench tonight and got the suspension and wheels cleaned up and assembled. Some of the casting blocks are a PITA! Snapped one of the return roller arms off whilst trying to clean it up as well as various other little bits. All repaired now, just need to add some filler to some air bubbles and smooth off the wheels a little once that’s done.

Rki0z3S.jpg

things are coming along though.

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since I’ve been able to do much on this but progress has been made on the turret. Pretty much all detail added to the turret, replaced the .30 barrel with a turned brass one from RB models. Hatch’s will stay off for now until I decide if there will be a figure in the turret.

RGFTpM9.jpg

vpzGuUW.jpg

The commanders platform on the back seat I’m having a lot of trouble with. The only instructions are so vague and the picture are poor quality and shown with all the storage attached that I can’t see the placement of the support struts! I’ve figured that out from reference pictures however the written instructions also say to use PE parts 27 to connect the struts to the platform. The PE fret numbers are so small, half of them are illegible from the manufacturing and some parts don’t seem to have numbers, plus there’s no pics in the instructions of the parts.

qTuClpr.jpg

So I’m a bit stuck on that progress. I might leave the struts to the end and see what PE parts I have left! Progress might slow even more now as we have the imminent arrival of our second child due in the next couple of weeks...

Edited by bigfoot
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, bigfoot said:

Progress might slow even more now as we have the imminent arrival of our second child due in the next couple of weeks

Congratulations ! 🥳 ... Good work BTW. 👍🏻

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Congratulations ! 🥳 ... Good work BTW. 👍🏻

Cheers fella, for both!

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

Did any of these actually make it ashore without sinking?

Interesting choice of subject anyway!

Ian

Yes, the British and Canadian ones were pretty successful with most of them making sure. Some were lost when they parked up in the surf to return fire and subsequently swamped by the incoming tide.  The US ones were less successful, especially at Omaha where only 3 out of about 30 made it to shore. Utah was a bit more successful but I think they ended up landing most of them directly rather than swimming in.

1 hour ago, fatfingers said:

Looking good. Wish i had the cahonies to build a full resin kit like that! 

Congrats on the 2nd by the way.

Regards

Steve

Cheers Steve, it is definitely a bit more out of my comfort zone compared to the usual styrene kits and the instructions definitely make things trickier!

• Like 1

Nabbed a small bit of time this pm in the man cave whilst my boy was sleeping. Not much done but added the missing bolts to the suspension using Meng bolts. Still need to drill the 4 holes in the front of the blocks. Small progress but progress none the less!

tAcKDFI.jpg

• Like 9

Got the lower hull assembled now, the fit wasn’t great, the main hull was a few mill wider than the transmission cover so a bit of sanding, filling and fettling was required. Rescribed the join line between them and added the bolts lost in the process.

q7oL3TM.jpg

xxEOhsx.jpg

Also added the little details to the propellor drive shafts ready for adding to the hull.

pXcW15c.jpg

underside of the upper hull sponsons have been filled with pcard as well. Next job is adding the upper hull on which I feel may require a bit more work to match up before all the detailing.

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Found a bit more time to do some work on the DD despite the arrival of a new baby boy 10 days ago to the family. This is the result of a number of short sessions, mostly whilst the baby and my wife have been napping.

The top hull is on, along with some details. I had to add plastic strip around the driver’s hatch as there was a reasonable gap. Gaps where the bow and transmission cover meet the hull and fenders also had to be shimmed and gaps fill although I still need to fill a few small gaps and clean up.

the back end has been a right royal PITA to fit, lots of poor fitting and still work to do. Had to rip the sponson fillers out and redo them as the vague instructions meant I had to redo bits so the back end is a bit of a mess and not finished yet.

f0bZ1eM.jpg

pWpiQuM.jpg

No way in hell am I going to get this finished by the end of the GB unfortunately, will have to become another long term project.

• Like 11

Hello bigfoot, congratulations on the arrival of the new family member.

On 06/08/2019 at 17:21, bigfoot said:

No way in hell am I going to get this finished by the end of the GB unfortunately, will have to become another long term project.

Sorry to hear that bigfoot, but see how far you can get here.

If needs be, the project can transfer to the Armour WIP area.

BTW - Your Sherman DD looks good, even if you are finding it frustrating

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

I’ll be following this closely.  I’m too late for the group build but just about to start building the version with flotation screen lowered.

For decals the Bison set was recommended to me by @fatfingers.

Good luck with the model and new addition!

Thanks, are you going to do a build log for it? I’ve got one with the screen down to build too at some point. Would be good to see how you get on with yours.

which Bison decal sheet is that? I’m struggling to find suitable turret numbers for this.

no work been done in it in a while as have had no free time!! 

1 hour ago, bigfoot said:

Thanks, are you going to do a build log for it? I’ve got one with the screen down to build too at some point. Would be good to see how you get on with yours.

which Bison decal sheet is that? I’m struggling to find suitable turret numbers for this.

no work been done in it in a while as have had no free time!! 

I’m a rare poster but I will put up a WIP for this one.  Please don’t expect too much!

The sheet I’m referring to is ‘British Swimming & Wading Shermans’, no 35014.

On 8/23/2019 at 7:50 AM, sanfrandragon said:

The sheet I’m referring to is ‘British Swimming & Wading Shermans’, no 35014.

That’s the sheet I’ve been looking for but apparently it’s as rare as rocking horse poo!

• Sad 1