1/48 RAH-66 Comanche

This was a quick project, I wanted something easy before tackling another helicopter project that's going to require quite a bit of work. It's the only 1/48th RAH-66 out there that I know of and (therefore great) it's got more right about it than wrong and with a real effort it could be made into a great model. Basically I made what I figured a third prototype might look like adding more details I noticed the 2 prototypes eventually received, external vents, aerials, steps, modified the tail planes, improved the oversimplified cockpit and instrument panels, filled in some inappropriate panel lines and added some better decals, thereby spending twice the time I had planned on but got something a little better than just straight from the box.

Painted it with various shades of Testors US Helicopter Drab.

UXPh3Ek.jpg

SdoKo9R.jpg3HBsOHG.jpgLDzU8AV.jpgGDeKGHl.jpgTICjaRb.jpgZixZSRb.jpg?1odRiXPn.jpgRmqo1an.jpg

5WOTNog.jpg

• Like 15

Oh wow, that is a fantastic example. This is exactly what I imagine a Comanche would look like, especially  if I am able to get one of these kits. My dad was part of the program at the Pentagon, working on the tactics and weapons systems, before he retired. Kinda wish there was a better kit to represent this amazing machine. Great job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, whiskey said:

Kinda wish there was a better kit to represent this amazing machine

Agreed but as I said, it's not too bad. Replacing the intake mesh with a finer grade and thinning it to make the mesh lie more flush was probably the biggest hurdle. Adding more cockpit displays was within my skills and the rest is mostly covering up the accurate but deep panel lines.

c3YT4aP.jpgnbGiyDy.jpgUYT4tGJ.jpg

• Like 3

Superb build! Probably the most definitive model of this subject I've ever seen built. 👏👏👏

It's a really scary-looking design, as if the Apache wasn't menacing enough!

Flashback - The Pentagon, 1991:

Army General: "Listen up Hughes, the feedback from the Gulf isn't good."

Hughes Helicopter Rep: "But General, our smart tech and new weapons systems smashed it out of the park. What could possibly be wrong?"

General: "The Apache operators are unhappy. They say the AH-64 isn't ugly or menacing enough."

Boeing-Sikorsky: "Hold my beer."

• Haha 1