2nd Platoon, Brecourt Manor 1944 +++ Finished+++

On 05/07/2019 at 13:54, RJ-WobblyHands said:

that is a nice looking gun ... waiting to be spiked :) 

Thanks RJ,

it’s a nice little kit, not sure if I’m going to use the crew that comes with it yet.

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Well you have made excellent progress on the gun - has there been any more since last week?

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix’s,

no progress on this one, finished off the Tiger.

Small update, 

Below is what I've used as a reference, it's a screen shot from the Band of Brothers. It's of the first gun position.

image.jpg

I bumbed into this chap at Milton Keynes, his name is Anthony Revees his company is Treemendus.

hes made these bits for me, hopefully I can do them justice.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Sounds like a good approach Ozzy.  

That source image does look a bit too much like a film set for my taste, but you'll probably make changes along the way.

Thanks Robert,

its amazing the difference, watching it on a normal TV it looks like it could have been filmed on location. With the uplift of 4K makes it all to clear that it’s on a film set. Hopefully my scene will look a little bit of both.

• Like 2

The still looks like it’s a scale model, I thought you had built that Ozzy and it wouldn’t have surprised me. I’m going to have to watch this episode tonight when SWMBO finally goes to bed

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

The still looks like it’s a scale model, I thought you had built that Ozzy and it wouldn’t have surprised me. I’m going to have to watch this episode tonight when SWMBO finally goes to bed

It definitely does Valkyrie, the technology isn’t always for the best. All episodes of the series were filmed in a studio, something you can definitely tell as the pictures get too clear. Hopefully my scene will look something like the screen shot? I  were recently repeated on pick so now have them downloaded, for future reference.

• Like 2

I think the 'studio' appearance of the image is, as you said, because of the clarity and depth of field rather than just the tidy-ness of everything.  It's good to see this one coming along.  In my yoof I made many dioramas but I lack the courage these days. 

If you add some defenders perhaps you could consider the Dragon kit of Osttruppen surrendering?  Of course I'm sure you have everything in hand for a great result.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Peter Lloyd said:

I think the 'studio' appearance of the image is, as you said, because of the clarity and depth of field rather than just the tidy-ness of everything.  It's good to see this one coming along.  In my yoof I made many dioramas but I lack the courage these days. 

If you add some defenders perhaps you could consider the Dragon kit of Osttruppen surrendering?  Of course I'm sure you have everything in hand for a great result.

Thanks Peter,

i do enjoy diorama building, mine is the reverse to yours. I’ve used that Dragon kit before and they are a versatile set, my plan is to have this as the first Gun. The kit comes with a firing crew, so I’m going to have a few still in action and a few doing local protection. With Airborne troops in a trench moving in.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to take shape, my base arrived today got my insulation cut and looked where I can layout the trees.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

A round base? Sounds normal

Insulation foam - same, somebody else is using foam for their base - but your image got me thinking ... about round cake dummies.

I thought I'd try a round base for this one Robert, I've tried all sorts over the years. Oasis for dryed flowers, oasis for cut flowers, foam and polistiern. I've seen a lot of people using lnsulation but could never seem to find it in the DIY shops, it's working well so far.

• Like 1

Bit it of a change of mind, when I was playing around with the fit last night I thought it was going to be a bit tight. So this morning I did some measuring and went for a rectangle, it means I get a longer trench to allow the break in it also allows for an ammo bunker.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 8

Just for a little contrast while I working, I airbrushed a little colour onto the base after I skimmed it with poly filler. I built some Ammo creates for the bunker, my plan is to finish off the bunker then build the soil that would have come out of the trench. To make the trench a bit deeper. I've got a Ammo-Mig grass mat I'm going to try out for the grass, I'm going to build the revetments using coffee stering sticks and also the floor of the gun pit. I'm going to need a few more than I have in the stash, so will be on the lookout. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Ozzy. I really do like the way your scene is developing. I can see already it's going to be one of your superbly busy dioramas!! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Better get yourself down to Costa Coffee. This will look great, a lot of thought going in.

Thanks Valkyrie,

i will be over there the weekend.

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ozzy. I really do like the way your scene is developing. I can see already it's going to be one of your superbly busy dioramas!! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix’s, I’m trying to capture the element of surprise. With the crew still getting round down, with an assault on the position about to happen imminently. I’m looking forward to doing the ground work on this build.

• Like 1

Been mainly figure painting this weekend got the Germans up together, I did lay the duck boards within the trench and make a couple of side walls.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

Got a bit more done over a few evenings, I found the Wrigley tin roof on the net and cut it to size. I used hot water to shape it around the gun pit. I've built up the trench wall with poly filler, I have since cut the side over the ammo bunker down as it looked to high. I will make some sandbags to finish off the wall, as the ones I brought are a little to rigid for the top.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

With the weather being typically British, there's nothing better to do than a little modelling. I've fitted a Ammo Mig grass mat, Wild meadow ground. Not used any of these mats before, very easy to work with and stuck down with PVA glue. Joins really well without a seam in sight.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Ozzy. Fantastic progress. I love all the little details you are adding. And you’re right - that Ammo Mig grass mat looks superb. Going to have to see if I can get some of that! Looking forward to seeing more.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1