2nd Platoon, Brecourt Manor 1944 +++ Finished+++

Lt Dick Winters undertook a reconnaissance at about 0830, after which he collected a team of 12 men from his own and other companies. Beyond knowledge of the general location of the gun emplacements south of Le Grand Chemin and without information of the other side of the hedgerow, Winters' team attacked Brécourt Manor, located three miles southwest of Utah Beach and north of the village of Sainte-Marie-du-Mont. There he discovered No. 6 Battery of the 90th Artillery Regiment, consisting of four 105mm howitzers connected by trenches and defended by a company of soldiers.

Pictures of the tree line in the grounds today

image.jpg

image.jpg

Map of the Gun position.

image.jpg

2 Dragon kits so far,

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 18

14 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Good one, good story behind this too. I just watched the dramatised version of this today!

Thanks Valkyrie,

I've been planning this one for a while, I've got a round base on order to mount it all on. One gun pit and a bit of trench with some trees.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

From what i understand of this engagement. That it is still taught at west point as the textbook way to attack positions like this. 

So I believe Dennis, it definitely went very well maintaining the momentum to carry it through.

Time for :popcorn: and a comfy chair, I will be watching with interest. Last week I was standing in the field at Brecort Manor and reading the account of the engagement in the Utah Beach Museum (which was created by Michel de Vallavieille Mayor of Saint Marie du Mont , who was injured by the Allied bombardment at Brecort Manor on D-Day).  

I will be sticking with aircraft even though this GB is calling for a small diorama - my skills with painting living things is horrendous they look like bad duplo / playmobil figures

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

Time for :popcorn: and a comfy chair, I will be watching with interest. Last week I was standing in the field at Brecort Manor and reading the account of the engagement in the Utah Beach Museum (which was created by Michel de Vallavieille Mayor of Saint Marie du Mont , who was injured by the Allied bombardment at Brecort Manor on D-Day).  

I will be sticking with aircraft even though this GB is calling for a small diorama - my skills with painting living things is horrendous they look like bad duplo / playmobil figures

Definitely pull up a very comfy chair RJ, wow absolutely fantastic life experiences to go to these places. It’s one of the places I’d like to visit in the not to distant future. I did a fantastic tour with work last year along the Normandy coast in bicycle.

48 minutes ago, bigfoot said:

Great idea for a diorama, looking forward to seeing this come along. Comfy chair pulled up for this.

Thanks Bigfoot,

it will hopefully be an enjoyable build.

13 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Saw this post, and read more of the story on Wikipedia - very interesting

:popcorn:

Thanks Robert,

i want to get my Tiger to a good place first, before I make a start.

• Like 1

Just now, Ozzy said:

i want to get my Tiger to a good place first, before I make a start.

Mmm, yes - the Tiger on the rails.

I fully understand, though my own Tigers will have to take a back seat after June 6th :(

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Smashing subject Ozzy, well put together thread, I'll look forward to this

Thanks Glynn,

hopefully I will do the story justice.

Hi Ozzy. As the others have said above - this sounds like a great idea for a project! Really looking forward to seeing this is progress. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 04/06/2019 at 13:27, PlaStix said:

Hi Ozzy. As the others have said above - this sounds like a great idea for a project! Really looking forward to seeing this is progress. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix’s,

hopefully it it will all come together like a good A team plan.

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

gee this one sounds interesting and definitely one to follow....good luck with the build!

Thanks Rich,

pull a nice comfy seat, once I’ve got my tiger build to a decent point and my base arrives I will start.

• 4 weeks later...

I made a start the other night on the Gun, good old dragon instructions there were some missing steps. luckily with a he CAD drawings on the box manadged to fit the bits. Having built it I may need to re-evaluate the size of the base.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Good to see this comming along Ozzy

You'll re-evaluate the size of the base?  Bigger now?

Thanks Robert,

a slightly bigger base base is required for what I’m after.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Like the look of that gun Ozzy nice neat work 

Thanks Valkyrie,

Dragon  and AFV club do the kit, the Dragon  kit comes with crew figures. Hopefully there won’t be much clean up once I’ve got a coat of paint on.

• Like 1

While the weathers nice, though I'd add a little colour. Tamyia's new paints XF-88 base and XF-89 and XF-90.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

That's quick Ozzy

I just realised I've got a month and a bit to finish my Tiger build, and to get this build to a good place. It flew together with only 2 sprues.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I just realised I've got a month and a bit to finish my Tiger build, and to get this build to a good place.

THAT I can fully understand ... Tiger and D-Day builds at the same time :doh:

• Haha 1