341P - Percival Proctor

Paul821

Having already committed to three builds it might be madness to add a fourth at this early stage but thanks to a swap with @Bungled four Frog kits were on my doorstep when I arrived home yesterday. Like my other builds two are biplanes so I will leave them at the moment but there were two I had not built before and this stood out.

DSC03719

This will be built 1950's style (for me) that is OOB including not painting the undersides as it the kit is moulded in Yellow.

• Like 4

Hi Paul

This was the first kit I built when I returned to the Hobby. 

It was the Novo version so I had forgotten about the dissolving decals !

Kit was great except trying to paint the yellow underside. I haven't learned my lesson as I'm trying to finish a Hawker Henley in the Trainers GB and the yellow is driving me demented !

Look forward to following this one

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

Never built this one so was wondering if it would show up. I will be watching with interest - good luck.

Pete

I too have just recently bought this kit and was pleaantly surprised by the kit's contents. I'll probably leave it for a while or perhaps be tempted to smash build it in an afternoon after seeing yours. 

Cheers and thanks for adding #4! .. Dave 

• Like 1

So the morning of the 1st June has arrived up at 06:00. Unfortunately not to start my build as I am working today and tomorrow. I am actually retired by volunteering seems to take up more time.

Anyway time for a quick parts shot,

DSC03720

and the instructions

DSC03721

DSC03722

Apart from the instruction "Use Frog Polystyrene cement"  I will attempt to follow the instructions to the letter.

I had forgotten that in my youth we called glue by the name cement. 

• Like 4

Do you remember when they went through a phase, perhaps around late 70's, of trying to stop glue sniffing by changing the formula. Smelled fruity and was damn all use for sticking plastic - worse than the Croid  I used on my first  ever builds in the late 50's.

Pete

@Ventora3300 mentioned in his thread on "Southern Cross" the discrepancy between Frog crew figures and the sculptured figures in the Trailblazer series.

Here is a police mug shot of the crew of the Proctor before they disappear into the interior alongside a Trailblazer figure (forget who) from a build of mine from the 1960's. For some reason I kept the figures when disposing of the actual aircraft.

DSC03723

• Like 2

Actually applied cement to plastic this evening - it surprised me how many clamps and elastic bands a small aircraft required.

DSC03726

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Paul821 said:

@Ventora3300 mentioned in his thread on "Southern Cross" the discrepancy between Frog crew figures and the sculptured figures in the Trailblazer series.

Here is a police mugAfter removing the Mk.41's moulded-on chaff/flare dispenser mountings, the fuselage required further modification (applicable to all Royal Navy Marks except for the HC.4): 1) Forward window filled using blanking part provided; 2) Rear window outlines filled (both sides); 4) Centre refuelling point added; 5) Refuelling point filled at 5a, new one made at 5b. The kit Orange Crop sensor housings were fitted (3), with the moulded raised detail sanded off, leaving flat boxes. At this point I also fitted 'grab rails' to the upper corners and rear edge of the main cabin door (6). shot of the crew of the Proctor before they disappear into the interior alongside a Trailblazer figure (forget who) from a build of mine from the 1960's. For some reason I kept the figures when disposing of the actual aircraft.

DSC03723

That'd be either Scott or Campbell Black from the Comet racer if my memory serves...

• Like 2

Nice to see a proper yellow plastic one rather than a Novo repop.

The figures from the Trailblazer series were rather nicely modelled. I guess they must have got someone in especially to sculpt them.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully this is the last appearance of this in the build thread

DSC03749

All being well it will move into the Gallery later in the week,

• Like 6

Great result Paul... gotta love a Proctor and funnily enough I have one of these in recently acquired stash. 

Cheers and well done... Dave