Battle of the Bulge King Tiger 3./s.SS-Pz.Abt. 501

Enjoying the build and all the research on my King Tiger, but one is not enough, so I have delved into the stash and decided to start this as a weight watcher special Battle of the Bulge entry, or as the Germans called it Wacht am Rhein. No zimmerit, the kit will be OOB except for an Armorscale barrel.

IMG_0863

• Like 7

You can never have too many KT's. Thankfully Hitler didn't.

Always a good idea to build two kits of the same vehicle. (more so if they are identical kits) because you learn a lot from building and painting the first and do an even better job on the second.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Badder said:

Always a good idea to build two kits of the same vehicle. (more so if they are identical kits) because you learn a lot from building and painting the first and do an even better job on the second.

That's the plan, or it could be double trouble.  With the second one without zimmerit there will be differences so I don't get too confused.

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice one Bob, looks like a box full of goodies.

That's how I ended up with so many in the stash, when I bought this umpteen years ago I thought what a bargain for £25, must buy another, and another, and another, and another, and another.

• Haha 1

Cracked on this afternoon, wheels, sprockets and idlers cleaned up, what would I do without sanding sticks now.  As there is no zimm to hide the over empathised interlocking body panels and welds the next few days will be spent with stretched sprue and glue making them more realistic, I thought I was a bit keen but not after seeing the KT by Phil1960 :hypnotised:

IMG_0864

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

After several days of using glue and stretched sprue to improve the appearance of the hull and turret welds, and make some corrections on the turret roof that I had found out from my other KT build. here it is ready for a coat of paint:

IMG_0873

Here is the hull front:

IMG_0874

And the turret roof:

IMG_0879

Edited by Retired Bob
photo did not load.
  • Like 3

My calendar must be wrong, it says it's June, how come it's so cold and wet.  Well it was in Normandy 75 years ago, good job they did know about climate change then, because only the Germans had hybrid tanks. :whistle: Enough frivolity, despite the weather I managed to get a coat of Tamiya XF-88 sprayed on my KT.  camouflage will be 3 tone hard edged with spots of contrasting colour.

IMG_0893

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Hewy said:

Keen to see you do this camo Bob  for pointers when I do mine, I'm currently on the best bits😳, tracks, pphhher

Hi Glynn, the magic tracks in Dragon kits are quick to clean up but they still need gluing together, as for painting the camo, with a hard edge scheme like this hairy sticks are the easy option, but I will try the masking and spray option first, but I am not making the mistake I made on the panzer IV build and used liquid mask, I was picking off bits of masking gel from nooks and crannies for ages. :facepalm: 

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

painting the camo

I am right in thinking that tiger 332 has a hard edeged camo, but with no dots? , tigers rrraar, doing my head in, blasted germans, 

Thanks for sharing your knowledge bob

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Hewy said:

I am right in thinking that tiger 332 has a hard edeged camo, but with no dots? , tigers rrraar, doing my head in, blasted germans, 

Yes it was 3 colour hard edged without spots.  Seeing that it was another cold wet day I went through my reference material to try and find "the one" some decent and clear photos so I can finish my KT with some certainty that it's not wrong.  I found some good pictures of 332 after it was captured, it had the 3 plates for poison gas detection and the armoured ventilator cover on the turret roof (like I have fitted to my 505 KT)  Those plates for gas detection are a real PITA, they are not really mentioned in my books and only show up on detail drawings from December 44, however photos show KTs with zimmerit had them, and zimmerit was discontinued in early September 44.  So throw in fuel drain pipes, mudguards, and  tracks  the whole thing is a :worms:

Edited by Retired Bob
missing word
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember when I did the sherman gb beginning of last year, I knew nothing about shermans, but in the end after gluing on the wrong bogeys, and researching tracks and turrets, and hulls (minefield Bob it really was) I got through it with a modicum of knowledge, these tigers are somewhat similar, and what I don't posses for these tanks  are the all  important reference  books, Bob I'm in your debt for sharing your research, 

Thanks, ( a few alterations are in order) 

54 minutes ago, Hewy said:

I remember when I did the sherman gb beginning of last year, I knew nothing about shermans, but in the end after gluing on the wrong bogeys, and researching tracks and turrets, and hulls (minefield Bob it really was) I got through it with a modicum of knowledge, these tigers are somewhat similar, and what I don't posses for these tanks  are the all  important reference  books, Bob I'm in your debt for sharing your research, 

I know what you mean, I have tried understanding Shermans, and with all the different engines, hulls and turrets it's a minefield, in caparison the KT should be easy but as with any kit where there are mistakes and alternate parts with no information given, it's down to the builder.  So don't worry, after my research session today I will be making some alterations as well. :frantic:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At last some progress made, after my research session my KT now sports gas detection plates, an armoured intake cover and has some fender damage.  Hairy stick painting of the camouflage was time consuming but rather relaxing, some more work is needed and then the spots can be added, here are a couple of pictures of my work so far and the profiles I worked from:

IMG_0902 IMG_0901

• Like 10

19 hours ago, Badder said:

That's looking superb! What colours/brands of paint have you used?

Hi Badder, I thought I'd go retro and use Humbrol enamel paints.  Painting of KTs in late 44 red primer was used as the base colour and dunkelgelb and green were applied over to give the camo pattern, as I already had the dunkelgelb as base colour(Tamiya XF-88)  I brush painted Humbrol red brown 160 and olive green 226 in the camo pattern from the profile.  I'm not too happy about the green, it did not cover as well as the red brown did.  So I have applied a coat of Tamiya XF-89 and started to apply the spots of contrasting paints, I have a photo of the progress so far and some more reference material that I'm using.

IMG_0903

The Ryton/Culver and Feist book has some great photos, but their profiles are dodgy, while the Photosniper book has some great profiles, I just wish they would publish the photos that they made them from.  More spotting over the weekend, thanks for looking.

Bob

• Like 8