Battle of the Bulge King Tiger 3./s.SS-Pz.Abt. 501

Finished adding the spots and ready to start the weathering process, then there are the tracks to paint.  Here is how it looks now:

IMG_0905

I will spray on a coat of varnish with some buff colour to lighten it and protect the surface, thanks for looking.

• Like 9

57 minutes ago, Hewy said:

I like that Bob, cracking job

Hi Glynn, I'm quite pleased with how it's come out, I have delayed spraying on the varnish as it has been cold and very damp up in the North East and I did not want to risk it going wrong.  Quite ironic that most of Europe is having a heatwave and here it has been cold and raining for the last 48 hours.

The weather finally improved to risk spraying, I have sprayed varnish in iffy conditions in the past and it ended up going cloudy so I held off.  I applied the kit decals (Cartograf) but I was not happy with them, the white outline was slightly off and even though I had glossed the turret sides they silvered, so removed, repaired the turret paintwork and from the spares pack came some numbers from a Techmod Tiger sheet.  This is how it looks now, matt varnished and a grime wash to pull up the welds and recesses:

IMG_0907

Thanks for looking.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

As the kit came with some figures I thought I would add some, there are quite a few photos of the German paras on the back of KTs, so I'm recreating the one of them sharing a ciggy break before the battle commences.  I will attach their heads and weapons after painting, don't want to get ahead of myself. :P

IMG_0917

• Like 7

That's looking very nice indeed! The paratroopers will be a nice touch. You are tempting me to start a rebuild of my rather battered veteran KT as a result of attention from Mr Billy Bookcase who decided to be different and become a ski ramp.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, SleeperService said:

You are tempting me to start a rebuild of my rather battered veteran KT as a result of attention from Mr Billy Bookcase who decided to be different and become a ski ramp.

That would be different, battle damage by over enthusiastic bookcase.  I have an unfinished KT and Hunting Tiger that were never finished because I could not get the paint scheme right, now I am happy with the technique I've developed I'm bringing them out of storage.  The HT was Dragons first release over 20 years ago so I am replacing the mesh over the rear air intakes, adding a  metal barrel and new tracks.  The KT is much newer and just needs the "welds" improving and new tracks.  They are both well over the 25% rule so will not be entered in the GB,  you can  never have too many Tigers, and old repaired ones are always welcome.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I have an unfinished KT and Hunting Tiger that were never finished because I could not get the paint scheme right, now I am happy with the technique I've developed I'm bringing them out of storage... They are both well over the 25% rule so will not be entered in the GB,  you can  never have too many Tigers, and old repaired ones are always welcome.

Might be worth asking the GB Host about featuring them, In some GBs builds like ours are allowed in but not into the gallery (and vote) at the end.

I've also struggled with the late German schemes not helped by the amount of rubbish too many books contain. As I'm a 1/48 AFV builder and doing a slight What-If? with the rangefinder, periscope sight, single link tracks and revised engine deck as might have appeared in September 1945 I think I'll pass on the GB second entry though.

1 hour ago, SleeperService said:

Might be worth asking the GB Host about featuring them, In some GBs builds like ours are allowed in but not into the gallery (and vote) at the end.

Not too worried about that, I have enough trouble finishing the two that I have in the GB, staring at photos in my reference material trying to work out from poor contrast, B&W pictures what colour something could be?

1 hour ago, SleeperService said:

I've also struggled with the late German schemes not helped by the amount of rubbish too many books contain. As I'm a 1/48 AFV builder and doing a slight What-If? with the rangefinder, periscope sight, single link tracks and revised engine deck as might have appeared in September 1945 I think I'll pass on the GB second entry though.

I had a madness moment earlier in the year, I was online looking for a Takom, North African campaign  M3 Grant and I bought the Takom Maus instead, I think it was an idea to build a diorama of a late 1945 KT and Maus, both in something like the octopus scheme.  With me the What-if? is what are the chances it gets built and if it will get finished. :hmmm:

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

At last an update, some oil washes and ready to put all the tools and tow cables on, the fallschirmjager are in their camo uniform but the tank commander is still waiting for his.  Sunday, he will be ready for Sunday.

IMG_0931

• Like 5

Unfortunately I did not finish my KT in time, just the final details really.  I was not happy with the effect after the flory wash, so I cleaned that back and applied oil washes but that left it looking overdone, so by the time I was happy with the finish despite a last effort the deadline was approaching and no tow wires were ready.  So here is where I was by the finish:

IMG_0933 IMG_0934

If nothing else I have got the hang of hard edge camo, it has been fun and as soon as I get everything finished I will post some pictures.

• Like 6

Hi again Bob,

The gallery is a bit poorer for missing this superb KT. She really is a beaut. Fantastic ambush camo. Again, I'd have put it in the gallery in the state it was. I bet many a KT lost its tow cables.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Badder said:

The gallery is a bit poorer for missing this superb KT. She really is a beaut. Fantastic ambush camo. Again, I'd have put it in the gallery in the state it was. I bet many a KT lost its tow cables.

Hi Badder, I am really pleased with the hard edged camo, I must admit I did spend a lot of time painting the figures to go with this tank so I will add them to the finished photos, I started with the 4 and ended up with 7 including the tank commander, I must fit his MG 34 to the cupola.

• Like 1

Bob - it is another 'thing of beauty' - I'll second Badder by saying it is a shame it didn't make the gallery - brilliant work :goodjob: - Steve

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple of photos of my KT, I'm not sure what is worse, the wire tow cables or the plastic track fitting cable, I just hope I do better with the next one.  I will post more after the Driffield show, with the paras having a smoke break.  Thanks for looking.

IMG_0962

IMG_0963

Edited by Retired Bob
  • Like 3

Well I think we always find something about our builds we are not happy with but if you hadn't mentioned them I wouldn't have even thought about them. It's a great looking KT Bob. Very well done. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1