Tamiya 1/48 F-15C - first model in 8 years

So, here it is! In all it’s horrific glaring errors and dodgy masking attempts. This is the first model I’ve built in eight years and also the first I’ve done using acrylics and airbrushes for the majority. It’s also my first attempt at weathering and adding (hopefully!) realistic metallic finishes. 

I know theres areas that i could've filled and sanded better; areas that I should’ve masked better; the canopy is a mess - first time trying a liquid mask; the seam lines look much worse than they did in person and it’s a bit scruffy overall. I think I rushed in my desire to see one done so I plan taking much more time and care with the next; an Academy MiG-29 in 1/48. Please be gentle with me but any and all advice is graciously received! 

To the pictures!

Modelling folder

Modelling folder - F-15 Modelling folder - F-15 Modelling folder - F-15 Modelling folder - F-15 Modelling folder - F-15 Modelling folder - F-15 Modelling folder - F-15 Modelling folder Modelling folder

Thanks for looking! 

• Like 13

Hey, that ain't bad brother!  I think you've done a great job with the airbrush.   It's all too easy to rush the finish, ask me how I know that!  :whistle:    But, now you do have a better idea about how you want to handle the next one.   Every modeler I know has started out with models that might not be the perfect bird we visualize at the start of the build.  One o' these days I'll show my first "real" model.  At the time, I thought it looked pretty good.  Now, it makes me cringe a bit.  But that's okay, we all learn best by doing.  You'll see that with the MiG-29 no doubt.

Don't be too hard on yourself Phil!  That's a real nice start! 👍

Edited by Gary Brantley
  • Thanks 1

The joy is in the building, so any completed model is a success 😊 looks good to me and you'll be surprised at just how fast you will improve now you are back into it 👍

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Matt P said:

The joy is in the building, so any completed model is a success 😊 looks good to me and you'll be surprised at just how fast you will improve now you are back into it 👍

Very true! I love seeing the little sun assemblies coming together and then the painting. I really love the painting! Even more so now with the decent airbrushes. 

That's pretty good.

You've already made a major leap into improving your model building skills by identifying the weak areas yourself. Remember them and concentrate on those on your next project and you'll see a big difference.  It's also good motivation.

I'm far from being a master myself but I think being critical of my own work has helped me reach a better standard.

Roger. 

• Thanks 1

Looks brilliant to me! I got back into modelling a couple of years ago after about 20 years' hiatus, I don't know how I managed to stop doing it for so long!

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Looks brilliant to me! I got back into modelling a couple of years ago after about 20 years' hiatus, I don't know how I managed to stop doing it for so long!

I know how for me; work and kids!!

thank you guys one and all for your kind comments. I spent the best part of 3 days umming and ahhhing about posting the photos up here after following WIPs from the likes of Fozzy and shark64! 

Edited by Philbucknall

Firstly, looks like a great build.

Any areas that you may not be happy with, don't lose sleep over them and learn from them, that's not easy for me to say as i'm very critical of myself and always want to build some of the masterpieces that are shown on here, I'm never going to get to show piece quality models and have had to teach myself to just enjoy and progress.

That's a good finish you should be proud. The guys on here are an amazing bunch and more than willing to share their skills. Keep at it, first one out of the way and on to the next, improving all the way.

Look forward to seeing your next kit

Darren

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1