Type 2 Ho-I Japanese Infantry Support Tank - 1:72 (72056)

Paul A H

Type 2 Ho-I Japanese Infantry Support Tank

1:72 IBG

type2_01.jpg

The Type 2 Ho-I tank was a development of the Type 97 medium tank. It was designed as a self-propelled howitzer that could provide fire support, as well as taking on enemy fortifications such as pillboxes. Powered by a Mitsubishi V-12 diesel engine, the tank had a range of 100 km and a maximum speed of 27mph. The main armament was a 75mm type 99 gun. Only 31 examples were produced, and all of those were converted from existing Type 1 Chi He tanks. Further production was impossible due to allied bombing of Japanese production facilities. The tanks were allocated to the defense of the Japanese home islands, but were never used as the cessation occured before the planned invasion. 

IBG Models have kitted a variety of Japanese tanks, with this Type 2 Ho-I being the latest in the line. The kit arrives packed into a surprisingly large top-opening box inside which are a number of fairly small frames of crisply moulded grey plastic. As with other IBG Models kits, this has all the hallmarks of a cutting edge kit, with crisply moulded parts that are easily as good as those from any other mainstream producer. a small fret of photo etched parts is included, as well as crew figures - a feature which seems unique to their Japanese subjects for some reason.

type2_02.jpg

type2_03.jpg

type2_04.jpg

In something of a departure for IBG Models, the tracks and the inner halves of the wheels and drive sprockets are moulded as one large part. When done well, I think this works just fine for the smaller scales. Thankfully IBG have done this very well indeed. Any minor compromise in detail is made up for by not having to cement together dozens of individual links or use the accursed vinyl tracks of yore. The upper track runs even have a realistic amount of sag moulded in. The outer faces of the wheels and sprockets are moulded separately, which means they can be painted separately for ultimate convenience. The running gear fits onto the sides of the lower hull box via four suspension arms moulded in pairs. There should be no issue getting everything to align just as it should. Next up is the upper hull, to which the small fenders headlights and pioneer tools must be attached. The exhausts fit onto either side of the rear hull, and photo etched guards are provided for the covers. 

type2_05.jpg

The boxy, hexagonal turret is made up of just two parts, with the floor moulded separately to the floor. Slide moulding has been used to keep the part count down and the detail level up. Both the commander's cupola and the second hatch are moulded as distinct parts, which is a must given the inclusion of crew figures. The muzzle of the howitzer has also been manufactured using a multi-part mould to save the modeller having to drill out this small part. IBG have thoughtfully included two crew figures – and very nice they are too – although they are not mentioned in the instructions and don't even feature on the diagram that shows the layout of the sprues. A very nice Type 97 machine gun is included, but its attachment isn't shown in the instructions. Just one marking option is shown in the instructions, for a tank of an unknown regiment deployed in Japan in 1945. The decal sheet itself is nicely printed.

Conclusion

I really enjoyed reviewing IBG's recent AFV kits, so it's great to see them turn out another cracker in the form of this Ho-I. Detail is excellent and the quality of manufacture looks to be up there with the very best. The inclusion of photo etched parts and particularly crew figures is very welcome too. Highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of 

logo.gif
  • Like 4