ICM 1/48 Spitfire Mk. XVI

With the Typhoon finally done its time to pick the next build. I recently listed my entire stash (who's size is a well kept secret) to ScaleMates. One of the nice things about that is I now have some statistics. It turns out the most popular kit in my stash is ..... Spitfire - 9 kits of different models. I looked up my work room stash and noticed a pair of Spitfires - a Fujimi one and an ICM.

A double-build came to mind but when I open the kits and cleaned them up it became very clear that these are way too different to allow that. The Fujimi is a 80' era, ~20 so parts, very crude and simple and rumor has it it's not even 1/48.  The ICM on the other parts has probably the most detailed 1/48 spitfire out there with lots of parts and options.

So, it won't be a double-build but I will try to start them together and see how it goes.

You can follow up on the Fujimi build here.

The ICM kit is quite detailed:

IUe6NABl.jpg

9CxIESVl.jpg

x6L1RVel.jpg

TMVuI34l.jpg

It's also heavily covered with mold grease. I soaked it for a while but think I need to re-do that.

Edited by Ran
  • Like 3

I am currently building an ICM Mk IX. Very detailed and nice soft plastic but there were some fit issues. Looking forward to seeing how yours comes along 

• 1 month later...

So - what have I been doing with this build for the past .... 2 !!! month???

I'm building this spitfire together with another one - an old Fujimi build.

When I got to dealing with the exhausts - I decided to do them together.

Starting point:

w0BG1VMm.jpg

Drilling the pipes and putting some strip styrene to simulate the welding seam:

mY5JTJfm.jpg K375UIzm.jpg

Silver base painting and then some brown/black wash and then some Mr. Aqueous Hobby H10 copper.

hXSI9c6m.jpg?1  4GbX1d8m.jpg 0XnjSrHm.jpg

Then it was time for the engine block.

Every now and then I get to read a 'in the box" or "build" review that says - "with XX parts, the engine/cockpit/what ever is a build in it self". I usually think highly on kits that have a high level of detail and would prefer such a kit over others with less details.

Well - this kit's engine is indeed a build in it self - and after working in it for a couple of weeks - I feel tired and in need of mojo re-charge as it I just build a full kit :)

I all started very easy. I tried to follow the kits instructions and paint instructions. It looked weird - as most Merlin's I've seen are black while the kit's instructions call for shades of Gray.

The plastic is a nag - hard but brittle.

I did add some wires and plastic - but just a few.

PRwMmtZm.jpg mr7Lyamm.jpg

It looked OK but well - not very much.

Then I came across the following YouTube clips and my AMS kicked in big time.

Building the engine bay from the 1/48 ICM Spitfire Mk.IX

ICM Spitfire Mk. XVI || 1/48 || S/Ldr Otto Smik || Step by step || Full video build

Spitfire Mk.XVI || ICM 1/48 || part 1 - Engine and fuel tank || Step by step video build ||

Tamiya 1/32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc

I'm not as capable as these guys - and as mad :)

So I added some more bits and parts and painted the entire engine black and when on from there:

b4FtaVmm.jpg 1eb62fxm.jpg

7SAs3Lim.jpg imBHhRpm.jpg

zEklXSAm.jpg A9UGgOOm.jpg

VapGR3Hm.jpg mUXCM9Em.jpg

faKFPZcm.jpg piGi1lKm.jpg

wPc11Wmm.jpg yHELfvxm.jpg

IMaVOg7m.jpg rHrE59Pm.jpg  aEL9LYRm.jpg

B7R5YxXm.jpg VBtx5aOm.jpg

JJVBoo4m.jpg JJVBoo4m.jpg

Final result:

2DpS9b5l.jpg?1

7rBHxfPl.jpg?1

zuJ8R5Bl.jpg

97qrIpOm.jpg 1yKjKTmm.jpg 7uckNGhm.jpg

So - I need to recharge before I go on to the cockpit - another build by it self.

Ran

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

A long long time has passed since the last update.

The engine build sucked my Mojo completely.

I stared at the build for about 6 weeks before I could bring myself to sit down again. This is a side effect of AMS nobody talked about 😫

I approached the cockpit work with some detachment. I review the video build logs (see my previous post) and after a while decided I'm not going to go overboard here.

I did add seat belts (not really AMS) and put is some paint work - but that's it.

n7xqQKom.jpg IX8CT47m.jpg CjcuP1am.jpg

I cut down the cockpit door. The cockpit looks decent after the fuselage is closed:

h9nk9wql.jpggC235LOl.jpg

secETAOl.jpg TOLJbapl.jpg

I did succumb to one small AMS attack - the gun bay. Searched the net and found some nice examples. There are mighty good modellers our there.

I tried not to go over board here as well

Oxhdtwgm.jpgSp2ZeiMm.jpg

JuoGCu1l.jpg

Closing up the fuselage proved a bit challenging with large gaps at the wing root.

To add some interest - I poised the rudder, tail wheel and the ailerons not in their neutral position.

I had a rough time with the white primer - you can read about it here.

My airbrush was in dire need to a major clean up - but I went on a did the pre-shading without attending to that - and it shows :

This build on the left - together with the other spit on the bench.

You can also see the yellow/red band painted and then masked on the leading edges.

AvwY8ual.jpg

After spending the better part of a morning cleaning the brush - it was time for the camouflage. I was low on MOJO so decided to skip the masking. I drew, with a white pencil, the lines and when on with free airbrushing the paints.

FHgksKjl.jpg n9s7XjDl.jpgStQlogVl.jpg Note the ultrasonic bath used to clean the airbrush

For the camo was using the following:

- Underside: Pollyscale Light Blue F505396 (an old bottle I have)

- Gray: Tamiya Ocean Gray 2 (RAF) XF-82

- Green: Tamiya Dark Green 2 (RAF)

LCW7yxEl.jpg

GZ50F2ul.jpgI4upRdol.jpg

This was followed by decaling, not before applying a coat of Gloss Klear. The decals performed well - for the most part.

cO2LBm4l.jpg Gw7teyJl.jpg

I had to carefully put and then cut the decal that goes over the cockpit door.

So - the kit got some coats of Gloss Klear over the decals - in preparation for some panel line wash.

That's it for today. Comments are welcomed as always.

Edited by Ran
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kit is almost done - but where shall I put all these open panels? I could not resist just a bit more AMS so I decided I'll try a simple vignette.

Kit will be posed on a patch of grass and some wood flooring.

The base will be a picture frame, the grass will be a piece of vegetable life extended liner for the fridge. The wood flooring will be some Wooden Coffee Tea Stirrers.

Em7dRdrl.jpg

oRPAkM5l.jpg

dhlOub4l.jpg

Dl6WVEHl.jpg

yMBfomkl.jpg

Ad1ThpLl.jpg

1GhOBCVl.jpg

ekGRjZEl.jpg

bF9uoSel.jpg

That's it.

There rest will be posted at RFI.

Comments are wellcomed