1st Canadian Parachute Batalion 1/35

I think these are old Verlinden figures but please correct me if you know otherwise. The wounded man will get the Ultracast head pictured and I'll make a small vignette base.

Of the 543 members of the battalion who landed on D-Day, 367 were wounded, killed or captured and they lost most of their heavy weapons in the drops. Even so they were able to achieve their Operation Overlord objectives. I had wanted to include some calvados barrels in the vignette but can't think of a sensible way to do it.

2x5bQl7yAjFIpldtAu4ZtGyd8vN_Py-B-g5zBv67

• Like 9

Welcome to the build Ted

9 hours ago, Ted said:

I had wanted to include some calvados barrels in the vignette but can't think of a sensible way to do it

Depends what size and shape barrel you want.

Andrea Miniatures, Historex, MiniArt and Reality in Scale all offer barrels in 1/35 or 54mm (~1/32) scales

Barrels often come as part of a larger set, sometimes with two (or more?) sizes included.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

Welcome to the build Ted

Depends what size and shape barrel you want.

Andrea Miniatures, Historex, MiniArt and Reality in Scale all offer barrels in 1/35 or 54mm (~1/32) scales

Barrels often come as part of a larger set, sometimes with two (or more?) sizes included.

Thanks Robert. I had wanted to include calvados barrels because they are mentioned in a book I read about the batallion's experiences in Normandy. Used as cover for hiding from patrols and also as a refreshment. But in a small vignette I think I'll leave the barrels out because they'd be too distracting. Maybe if I make a bigger diorama someday in a farmyard setting I'll add them.

• Like 1

Hi Ted. Those figures look rather good and I look forward to following your progress with your vignette. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

I will enjoy a glass or 2 of Calvados or Pommeau du Normandy ( I brought back a few bottles from my Normandy Beaches trip last month) whilst watching this interesting creation (ps I cannot paint figures- so this will be another thread to learn from :)

• Haha 1

Did the prep work today, drilled holes and added steel pins, added some green stuff to fill gaps. I'll also add the rifle sling before priming.

FMDGHd6hG-7k8lRDrOAJ2mK9fykAow6n8syDXPVL

• Like 3

That's is a good start Ted.

For those who don't build figures, drilling the holes for the pins is nerve wracking - will the hole be deep enough? will it hold? will it burst through the surface?

Without the pins, the figure is very vulnerable ...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

That's is a good start Ted.

For those who don't build figures, drilling the holes for the pins is nerve wracking - will the hole be deep enough? will it hold? will it burst through the surface?

Without the pins, the figure is very vulnerable ...

So true :) I'm also always stressed that the holes won't be aligned. Wish there was an equivalent to plastic cement for resin and white metal.

• Like 2

I primed them with Tamiya rattle can and airbrushed Vallejo for the main colours. The rifle sling was cut and formed from flattened green stuff epoxy putty.

qDKPkd1dhwEIjEbTf7FHhgc5pPfoJnicGa4zW_Aj

• Like 5

Got the heads finished, not glued on yet, just posed for the picture. Also mostly got a base coat on their equipment and uniforms. I think I'm stalling on the camo pattern on the jackets.

eqN1wPEjppqblzxyU5rewvIWJJQPUqrRIOAcBecW

• Like 6

Looking good Ted. 

The wounded guy's face could be paler (in pain).

A very thin wash of white, stratigically placed could help with this.

Maybe include a breath yellow ochre in the wash - but test that off the figure.

You have some very good brush work there, with good control.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Robert. I recently caved and bought a magnifying lens for painting figures because my eyesight is changing as I approach 50. These are the first ones I've painted with the lens, it's a game changer.

• Like 1

Thanx Stix

Got the figures pretty much done. I'll weather the boots once I get them on their base.

CxKI7idXOCCpuPExoKJxv8P4SK7s2z3X3GKU0aZM

At2rJ0ij6bF5s1odanNYvZ299EV_cczhaeNQss4f

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I made a base with Sculpey modelling clay and added some grit, crumbled birch seeds, fake shrubs, and sticks from the lilac hedge that had some realistic lichen on them.

Hhk99xKFW0GbuQTnECuZ2R05HVcKd1qaqaCJGjFq

I was most proud of painting the tiny battalion patches above their left breast pockets.

BlEhmbVwUpVuivO3HNnAsYtq43yH-WivrKc26JMI

A couple more pictures in the gallery. Thanks for all the camaraderie :)

• Like 4

Congratulations on this one Ted.

I was particularly interested to see how you used epoxy putty to form the rifle sling.  I often use it in blobs, but have never tried such fine work.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CliffB said:

I was particularly interested to see how you used epoxy putty to form the rifle sling.  I often use it in blobs, but have never tried such fine work.

Thanks Cliff, this started out as a blob, flattened it and then let it cure overnight. Next day I sliced a strip out of it and folded it into shape. I had to superglue the end of the loops after folding.

I have used flattened solder before for rifle straps and harnesses, and that was a bit easier to work with but I wanted to try this as an experiment.

5 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Saw this in the gallery Ted, looks good.

Thanks!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1