"At this hour Lie at my mercy all mine enemies !"

A Quote:

"The noontide sun, call’d forth the mutinous winds,
And ‘twixt the green sea and the azured vault
Set roaring war: to the dread rattling thunder!"

William Shakespeare wrote the "Tempest". I have borrowed quotes from the Tempest which to me at least, fit the idea of a Tempest Roaring in to press home the attack over the Normandy zone. I borrowed the quote idea from @Procopius, who also donated the kit to me. I will be building a Tempest Mk.V from 3 Squadron. Initially the Tempest's were held in reserve. There primary responsibility was still defense of Great Britain from V-1 attacks. But they were allowed to roam and support troops as of June 8th. I will be using the Academy Tempest Mk.V. 

h78GZH3.jpg

I will be able to use the Majority of the decals from the kit. Though i will have to change the E to another letter. The Roundels are also incorrect for a D-Day aircraft. I believe the upper wings should still be the Blue/Red roundels. Here are the sprue shots. 

Dx4GEER.jpg

I have both a canopy mask and a camouflage mask. This will be a 1st for me to use camouflage masks. Though Ive used and made canopy masks before. 

q1RBim8.jpg

Questions, comments, tips, or good stories are always welcome. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 19

One of my favourite aircraft, can never have too many Tempests for me. I'll follow this one with interest as all mine have been slightly later or immediate post-war schemes.

Andy

Hawker fan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Thanks for that ! I didn't know these were the early mark V's i have many of those photo's and i must have passed right over the obvious cannon barrel's ? I just didn't see them ? I think i should be able to manage scratch building the four exterior cannon bits ? Cheaper than trying to buy them at least. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Nice choice Dennis, I’ve use the Montex masks on a few builds I found very good and easy to peel off.

• Thanks 1

Hello everybody... Well I thought i would follow suit historically with this build. I started it in the middle of the night just after midnight. It was about 00:30 on the morning of 6th of June 2019. I was able to knock out the cockpit,

caPy1W8.jpg

UrzQQm4.jpg

RSCqb9f.jpg

and wings. I modified the wings to give them the original style cannon shrouds. Currently they aren't finished. I will build up the exterior of the shrouds by adding material. 

ryWwAf7.jpg

Questions, comments, or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

Nice start, good clean assembly. I liked that you started historically and got quite a bit done too

Thanks Valkyrie. I did a bit more this afternoon after posting the above. 

hrj6nVh.jpg

r4Yp6IL.jpg

My plan is to build up the layers of Tamiya Surfacer to get the shape on the cannon shrouds correct. 

Dennis

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Oh, that is a good start Denis, and very quick off the mark.

Thank you, it does fall together. The one spot i had issue with ( my fault also), was the cockpit floor. I glued it to the starboard half. The went and did some other things while it dried. When i tried to close the fuselage up, realized the floor had set slightly off kilter. It messed with the alignment tabs in the left half of the fuselage. I just had to force it back into position to make the fuselage seal/align correctly. 

Dennis

• Like 1

I haven't been idle on this build, i have been slowly trying to build up the shape on the barrel shrouds. Ive also sanded the plane part way. Still have some to go on that front. vnCxxjA.jpg

yHyHMQF.jpg

Qr8HDyf.jpg

Questions or comments ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 4

Not much on this... just waiting until i have a longer session built up before i break out the A/B. I did add the Sky paint on the fuselage and spinner though. TohOfp1.jpg

QMuTQFv.jpg

kVLiPh5.jpg

Once the clear coat is dry i will mask up for the white of the invasion stripes. Those will come first before camouflage. Questions, comments, or stories ? 

• Like 4

Thanks for the link, i have seen it before. I agree but not sure if I can remove them now ? They're brass set with C/A i see the lengths are quoted as 8 inches forward of the L/edge. But the guns are staggered ? They're not equal in position, the outer guns are further out than the inner due to that stagger. Now which one is 8 inches, my guess is the inner ? It would be easier if the shrouds weren't there ? I would have just used straight brass for the barrels. Oh well i will see what i can do to fix them if anything. If i cant then i will have to leave them. 

Dennis

Good evening Dennis

I understand that it will be difficult to remove the guns ..

As far as i can see on the view on the link  the guns are slightly staggered  ..

I am sure that you will do your best ..

All the best

Patrice

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

I understand that it will be difficult to remove the guns ..

As far as i can see on the view on the link  the guns are slightly staggered  .

Ahh ok i see what you're saying. I believe the Mk.1 guns were staggered. This are from the link you posted, and wikipedia. 

CTRVGaH.jpg

32D3X2t.png

0R137Mr.png

This shows the difference between a Typhoon's wing guns and the Tempest Mk.1.  

TQTMm1T.jpg

Sorry its blurry but i blew up the blue prints to get the photo. Looking at this now Mine are a bit exaggerated but i can shorten them. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Hello everybody... I've shortened the guns on the wings but after doing some digging, I need to fill the underwing stores holes now. I started this thread.

I received confirmation from Chris Thomas an expert on the type that Mk.V series 1's carried no underwing stores. They were clean wing as there primary mission was Buzz bomb hunting. 

Dennis

• Like 2