Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Ghostbase

RF-101C Voodoo 'Sun-Run' 1/48th Kitty Hawk

Recommended Posts

Finally finished, the 1/48th Kitty Hawk RF-101C Voodoo as 56-0166 which on 27th November 1957 was flown by Capt. Ray Schrecengost from Los Angeles to New York on Operation Sun-Run, an attempt to set three new transcontinental speed records.

 

I had to build this kit! I have waited over 30 years for a 1/48th mainstream kit of the incredible RF-101C Voodoo, an awesome supersonic photo reconnaissance aircraft which overflew Cuba, North Vietnam, and the Taiwan Straits. The mid to late 50's were exciting times with the 'Century Series' fighters setting new records seemingly all the time and American airpower appeared unbeatable. The Kitty Hawk kit gives four decal options but as soon as I saw it, I knew it had to be Operation Sun-Run!

 

IMGP0557size

 

I am really pleased with the final result. No, the Kitty Hawk Voodoo isn't a 'shake and bake' kit, it does present some challenges, there are quite a few inaccuracies, but it is up to the modeller to decide what he/she wants. Me, I build OOB, I am open to trying new techniques, I detest filling/sanding, I love painting, I am ham-fisted (God made me that way), so I don't stray too far from the instruction booklet. 👍

 

IMGP0552size

 

Built OOB including the decals. The silver finish is Humbrol 11 silver from a rattle can and I am very pleased with how well this went on. The yellow bands are all masked and air brush painted, Revell Aqua Color 15 Matt Yellow gave the best match (and for some odd reason the air brush loved it) and these were a fun challenge and very satisfying to apply. After painting I brushed the yellow bands with magic Klear 😊 The rear fuselage / exhaust area was Humbrol Metal Cote 27003 Polished Steel applied by air brush, that is my go-to for anything like this and again very happy with the result. All other paints are from the Vallejo Model Color series applied by brush. The decals are the kit decals and they went on fine helped by a little Humbrol Decalfix.

 

IMGP0570size

 

All the Voodoos were big planes, sheer brute power barrelling along on afterburner on those tiny wings. I understand that the nickname for the RF-101C was the 'Long Bird' and you can see why, with that T tail she looks... well, long!

 

Be careful of the kit instructions. Kitty Hawk would have you round off the yellow bands on the top and under the fuselage however I watched the Sun-Run video on YouTube and I think they were straight and pointed.

 

IMGP0563size

 

Now I have built a Kitty Hawk Voodoo before, it was the F-101A/C about four years ago, so I should be familiar with this kit. I really had a problem with the photo nose section. I decided to build and paint it separately and attach it very late in the build, unfortunately it all went wrong and I could not get it to match properly. This is the better side!

 

IMGP0558size

 

If you look carefully you can see what appears to be a silver band running from the front of the windshield down to the front of the gear well doors. I had to fill this with Perfect Plastic Putty and repaint it. I think this was my fault (remember 'ham fisted'?) as it seemed ok when I dry fitted the photo nose section. Also, now, I wish I had sanded off that slime light holder! Also in critical mode, the cockpit canopy and the windshield don't quite match. And I think I left something off the nose gear oops! 😂 On a plus the fuel tanks went together well as did the jet air intakes. Also the nose cone.

 

IMGP0565size

 

A view of the rear end. Personally I think the Kitty Hawk burner cans build well and look good though maybe next time I will fill that gap! This also shows one of my mess-ups, I have no idea how I failed to get those wing trailing edges to join. I took a look at my F-101C which I built 4 years ago and I got that part right then. The Kitty Hawk kit isn't very forgiving but, then again, neither was the Voodoo in some flight regimes!

 

IMGP0560size

 

For all the kit's faults and my personal shortcomings the final result is just so good! Would I build another Kitty Hawk Voodoo? Oh yes! Either 56-0166 a few years later in S.E. Asia camo or maybe the later shorter nosed RF-101G, no hesitation.

 

IMGP0555size

 

Back to 6:59 a.m. 27th November 1957, Ontario International Airport near Los Angeles, Capt. Ray Schrecengost takes off on the first RF-101C round-trip flight of Operation Sun Run and three speed records were set. It is believed that the "Cin-Min" markings were added to 56-0166 after the record breaking run. What did they signify? The "CIN MIN" was named for the pilot's  two daughters: Cindy and Mindy. 

 

61 years later where are they now? Col. Ray Schrecengost passed away 15th August 2006 after a varied career in the USAF including a role in the development of the Lockheed A-12 Blackbird and combat in Vietnam.

 

RF-101C 56-0166 also served in combat in Vietnam with the 45th TRS "The Polka Dots" marked as 'Luv Bug' and on 27th October 1978 was retired to the Air Force Museum with 6604.9 airframe hours where she can be viewed today.

 

Can I make a wish? Please Kitty Hawk, a 1/48th RF-8A/G Crusader? Please...

 

Michael

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Very nice, Michael. As a forum member you'll know my love of the Voodoo, with a recent posting, one in build and another probably underway tomorrow. I had considered Sun Run 4 before settling on my record breaker. I'm not a fan of anything other than 1/72 - just my view - but I appreciate everyone's skill. You've done a great job. The Kittyhawk kit appears to be a little chunky in the nose area and, if you are so inclided, I'd suggest replacing the serial as the kit decals appear to be slightly small. Maybe its just my old eyes. None of that detracts from your great work, though. :)

 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a really nice Voodoo Michael! 🍺 I enjoyed the history so much too.   She looks fast sitting still doesn't she?  What a powerful brute the Voodoo was!   Am I correct that she did not utilize the area-rule principle, achieving her high speed by sheer brute force?   At any rate, it was a beast.  And you are right too about her size;  damn, those planes were BIG!  My version is one of the biggest models in the display cabinet.   Speaking of which, as a fellow Voodoo fan, you might enjoy my take:

 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235055141-monogram-rf-101b-voodoo-black-magic/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice, Michael. As a forum member you'll know my love of the Voodoo, with a recent posting, one in build and another probably underway tomorrow. I had considered Sun Run 4 before settling on my record breaker. I'm not a fan of anything other than 1/72 - just my view - but I appreciate everyone's skill. You've done a great job. The Kittyhawk kit appears to be a little chunky in the nose area and, if you are so inclided, I'd suggest replacing the serial as the kit decals appear to be slightly small. Maybe its just my old eyes. None of that detracts from your great work, though. :)

 

Martin

Thanks Martin, I did notice your enthusiasm for all things Voodoo! I have to admit that in 1`/48th scale the RF-101C builds just too long to fit into my standard Ikea display cabinet. I see what you mean about the nose, photos of the real thing suggest the photo nose was more 'scalloped' and slightly narrower to the tip. I have also checked the serial, yes I see what you mean.

 

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love it, very cool indeed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

That's a really nice Voodoo Michael! 🍺 I enjoyed the history so much too.   She looks fast sitting still doesn't she?  What a powerful brute the Voodoo was!   Am I correct that she did not utilize the area-rule principle, achieving her high speed by sheer brute force?   At any rate, it was a beast.  And you are right too about her size;  damn, those planes were BIG!  My version is one of the biggest models in the display cabinet.   Speaking of which, as a fellow Voodoo fan, you might enjoy my take:

 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235055141-monogram-rf-101b-voodoo-black-magic/

Hi Gary, I really did enjoy your take on the RF-101B 👍 That was a rare bird at the best of times, yours would be even rarer!

 

I think the first Century Series fighter to be area-ruled was the F-102 Delta Dagger. The F-101 Voodoo was designed just that bit earlier and they had plenty of problems to sort out anyway with the T-tail. I have seen a photo of 53-2442 with a filler added just above and in front of the burners however it was unsuccessful and was returned to its original configuration.

 

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ghostbase said:

Thanks Martin, I did notice your enthusiasm for all things Voodoo! I have to admit that in 1`/48th scale the RF-101C builds just too long to fit into my standard Ikea display cabinet. I see what you mean about the nose, photos of the real thing suggest the photo nose was more 'scalloped' and slightly narrower to the tip. I have also checked the serial, yes I see what you mean.

 

Michael

 

Yes, they are big machines, like the Thuds that I have a fondness for too! Thankfully, my recent F-104 easily sits in my IKEA Billy display case :). The others only just fit! 

 

None of that stuff is a deal breaker. You have a great model of a great machine :). Have you been watching Quangster's posts?

 

My next Voodoo (a NF-101A) is at the final assembly stage - canopy, undercarriage, etc. I should have her RFI in a week or so. I started the next, a RF-101A, just now. I got the cockpit built and the overall grey is now on :)

 

Martin

 

Edited by RidgeRunner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ghostbase said:

Hi Gary, I really did enjoy your take on the RF-101B 👍 That was a rare bird at the best of times, yours would be even rarer!

 

I think the first Century Series fighter to be area-ruled was the F-102 Delta Dagger. The F-101 Voodoo was designed just that bit earlier and they had plenty of problems to sort out anyway with the T-tail. I have seen a photo of 53-2442 with a filler added just above and in front of the burners however it was unsuccessful and was returned to its original configuration.

 

Michael

Thanks Michael!   I appreciate it.  Yes, I thought that as well regarding the Century Series fighters.  I have the Monogram 102, 105 and 106 in the stash.   I don't know if they will ever get built now.   At my glacial rate of construction, I will need to live another 50 years I'd reckon.  Lessee...that would make me...116!  Oh yeah, no problem!  😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite all the issues you mention regarding your build, the final result came out very nice!  The paintwork is first-rate and you did a fantastic job of masking and painting the yellow bands. 

 

Cheers,

 

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...