Tim's Novo Javelin - COMPLETED

Hi,

That should be fun. When I recently built a couple of Javelins the only problem I had was the decals as the Jav used non standard sizes for at least one and possibly two of its roundels and also the ruddy big fin flash. I also had to make my own Squadron tail markings. Given the usual problems with Novo decs, I wish you luck.

Back in 1982 Scale Aircraft Modelling did an article on a Jav conversion which included decals of  the red  and 2 blues stripes for 33 Squadron which I think is the one you are doing. I still have them if they would be of use. They look OK but no guarantees.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

54 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Hi,

That should be fun. When I recently built a couple of Javelins the only problem I had was the decals as the Jav used non standard sizes for at least one and possibly two of its roundels and also the ruddy big fin flash. I also had to make my own Squadron tail markings. Given the usual problems with Novo decs, I wish you luck.

Back in 1982 Scale Aircraft Modelling did an article on a Jav conversion which included decals of  the red  and 2 blues stripes for 33 Squadron which I think is the one you are doing. I still have them if they would be of use. They look OK but no guarantees.

Pete

I'll post photos of my previous 1/72 Javelins later tonight.  I have built the Frog kit previously.

I acquired that SAM set and used them on an Airfix kit,  so any help will be very gratefully received.

Plan was to mask and paint.

1 hour ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

I'll post photos of my previous 1/72 Javelins later tonight.  I have built the Frog kit previously.

I acquired that SAM set and used them on an Airfix kit,  so any help will be very gratefully received.

Plan was to mask and paint.

If you send me a PM with your details I will post them. I did the conversion with the Airfix ex Heller T3 and the front end of my Frog 9 - pic on Page 14 of the chat pages. I also built a Chematic 9 which a lot of people thought was the Frog kit but is so different that is clearly a new mould or a really heavily modified one. Scalemates say new mould ex Plastyk - lot cheaper than 2nd hand Frog or Airfix though and has recessed panel lines but they did get the wing pitots wrong.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Whilst waiting for the hour, my 1/72 Javelins.The

First, my Javelin FAW9, XH903 as at Jet Age(with those SAM decals). This aircraft is what I'm aiming for.

Airfix_JavelinFAW9_.jpg

An Airfix T3.

Airfix_JavelinT3.jpg

A Frog Javelin, with pen-nib tail from a scrap Airfix T3, to build an F4.  We've got this one at Jet Age.

Frog-Javelin1.jpg

My Novo FAW9R - similar to this build.

Novo-Javelin-FAW9-R.jpg

• Like 7

Ray,

Suppose Javs are a bit like the Marmite ad - you either love them or hate them. I have a 5 and a 9 and am considering getting another Chematic kit as they provide the extended fuselage and short nozzles to build a 7 OOB except for the pitot tubes - they only provide one and on the wrong wing for the earlier models. Their decs are see through too.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Great addition Tim, the Frog Javelin is a classic kit and deserves to be built here. I still don't know why Heller ended up tooling the T.3, probably the least likely version a modeller would want. Thankfully, Frog got it right, although a new tool 1/72 kit would be really nice one day soon.  I wish you all the best.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, but look at that lovely smooth skin on that E.28/39... is that a mock up of sorts? It would be good to know before I decide to add any scribe lines on mine. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

I do like a Javelin. There's something about the shape and the size that really appeals to me. I'll be following your build with much interest.

How about this Carless artwork on the second FROG issue...

IMG-9474.jpg

Or this advert from a period Aeroplane Magazine, also by Carless.

javelin-1.jpg

Both paintings are so of their time, you can almost feel the weather!

Tony. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

Both paintings are so of their time, you can almost feel the weather!

Tony. 

No wonder England is so green...

JR

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 11:52 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Yes, but look at that lovely smooth skin on that E.28/39... is that a mock up of sorts? It would be good to know before I decide to add any scribe lines on mine. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Confirming that the E28/39 is a 1:1 replica, made of glass-fibre.

Three copies were made, two put outside as road furniture, and this one.

We had a club night presentation by its builder, and it sounded just like model-building to me like.

Loads of dry-fitting, fettling, filler and sanding - prior to airbrushing. 

The canopy forming sounded just like crash-moulding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2019 at 10:04 PM, theplasticsurgeon said:

I think the nose looks a bit squat. As research I took this photo of a real Javelin a few weeks ago. Guess which one, and where.

Javelin-Nose.jpg

And my sniper position?

Always thought both the Jav and the Vixen looked a bit "chunky". I believe it is generally accepted that in the case of the Vixen the nose shape is not right and should be a bit "sleeker", and I suspect it is the same with the Jav. Of course it also depends on the Mark as certain ones had a shorter nose because of the American Radar that was fitted, even though by all accounts it was inferior to the British one. I think the radome on my Chematic (ex Plastyk new mould) may be slightly better, and for the conversion to an FAW5 I used the radome off the Airfix/Heller T3 which definitely has a better shape.

• Like 1

Absolutely love this aircraft. 

I built the novo one years ago, decals exploded and I gave up. Seems like I really need to get and build another one. 

Look forward to seeing you bring this one to life 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2

Javelins are ungainly, strangely proportioned and not the sleekest looking of jets. That said, every time I pop into Jet Age I cant help but spend ages looking at the thing and taking loads of photos!

Its a kit it that is on my radar and one that I haven’t picked up.

I will be watching this with great interest!

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 11:52 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers.. Dave 

Additionally, I do have some photos of the original E28/39 at the Science Museum.

I'll post those onto your "No Airscrew Necessary" thread.

I've looked for a walkaround, but can't find anything.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PeterB said:

Always thought both the Jav and the Vixen looked a bit "chunky". I believe it is generally accepted that in the case of the Vixen the nose shape is not right and should be a bit "sleeker", and I suspect it is the same with the Jav.

I've got a Revell Sea Vixen in the stash, and had heard similar things about it.  I'd guess that qualifies for this GB?

Generally thought that the fuselage is too deep, thus making the nose look squat.  

Correction being to lengthen the nose by about 2mm to get the right look - this is something that I'm working on for this build. 

• Like 1