Typhoon Mk.1b Vs Tiger 1 (1/48 Italeri and Skybow) - 26/09/19 - FINISHED and in the Gallery

My D-Day project is going to be a 1/48 vignette using the kits below:

47967010966_3082304b9f_h.jpg

47966957532_510b7ffdf2_h.jpg

I am going to to use some aftermarket for both kits - these from Airfix and Eduard for the Typhoon:

47966967702_ccf3ff9793_h.jpg

47966986758_127f4969fd_h.jpg

.......and these track links from Skybow and the grills from Hauler for the Tiger:

47966976698_85422eeaf4_h.jpg

I'm going to be doing a crossover project where I build the Tiger 1 also as part of the Tiger STGB (at the same time as this D-Day GB) and the Typhoon and vignette here. I have some figures from Tamiya to use as well.

Really looking forward to getting started on this.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 16

I shall follow this, if you don't mind Stix :)

I'm very interested in your opinion about the Italeri kit. I'm also building a Typhoon right now, although a slightly more recent version.... :rofl:

:popcorn:

Ciao

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, giemme said:

I'm very interested in your opinion about the Italeri kit.

Its just a re-pop of the Hasegawa kit. Which has some minor issues but is pretty much the only game unless you want  to try an ancient AMT kit. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-2734-typhoon-mkib-late--258999

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whoah, looking forward to seeing the tank kit. I have so many questions, how old is the model? What are "super decals"? And why does the box say "Born too late"?

Edited by Ted
  • Like 1

Ohhh, I'm  looking forward to this stix , I'm sure you know the tips for the fuselage inserts on the ex hasegawa  tiffy, some time before you zip it up  and there'll be no need for filler,

• Like 1

ooo the does look interesting!!!!

I had originally planned my 1/32nd Typhoon for this GB until I found the sharks mouth....

Gosh that motor in this scale would probably get the beast flying!!! You're not planning to have an actual flying Tiffy are you??? The PE does look nice!

Those track looking interesting....are they any better than Friulmodel ones??

• Like 2

On 30/05/2019 at 22:19, giemme said:

I shall follow this, if you don't mind Stix :)

I'm very interested in your opinion about the Italeri kit. I'm also building a Typhoon right now, although a slightly more recent version.... :rofl:

:popcorn:

Ciao

Hi Giorgio. Hope you are well. Nice to have you here - are you going to be taking part in this GB? I'm looking forward to building the Typhoon kit but I am aware it has some fit issues around the cockpit area. There is a fair amount of information out there about how to correct the problem and I will probably take a look at what's needed fairly early on. I will try and check out your current build asap. Been struggling to keep up with everyone's builds with so much going on.

On 30/05/2019 at 22:37, Robert Stuart said:

Think I'm beginning to understand this a bit better -

- looking forward to seeing these happen Stix

Thank you Robert - I've been looking forward to this GB build for a while now.

On 30/05/2019 at 22:55, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice choice Stix, I'm building a Tempest from 3 Squadron. 

Hi Dennis and U'm looking forward to following your project too.

On 30/05/2019 at 23:57, Blitz23 said:

The Typhoon's a nice kit I've built one myself.

That's good to know, thank you. 

On 31/05/2019 at 01:40, Ted said:

Whoah, looking forward to seeing the tank kit. I have so many questions, how old is the model? What are "super decals"? And why does the box say "Born too late"?

Hi Ted. The Skybow kit was released in 2005 but it was way ahead of its time in terms if quality. Super decals are hard to explain - but they are basically reversed to normal decals with the idea of improving their finished quality. I'm not going to be using them for this project though. I'm guessing the "Born too late" is a suggestion that we are born to late to enjoy the actual tanks - but I'm not sure I'd want to be around to experience the time when the Tiger 1s were in use!!!

On 31/05/2019 at 20:26, Ozzy said:

🍿🍿

Thank you Ozzy!

On 31/05/2019 at 20:41, modelling minion said:

Ooh I'm in!

Sounds really interesting Stix, really looking forward to seeing how the two come together.

Cheers Craig! :thumbsup:

On 02/06/2019 at 20:20, Hewy said:

Ohhh, I'm  looking forward to this stix , I'm sure you know the tips for the fuselage inserts on the ex hasegawa  tiffy, some time before you zip it up  and there'll be no need for filler,

Hi Glynn, thank you and yes I am aware there are some issues. I've not checked out the possible fixes yet though. 

On 05/06/2019 at 13:47, trickyrich said:

ooo the does look interesting!!!!

I had originally planned my 1/32nd Typhoon for this GB until I found the sharks mouth....

Gosh that motor in this scale would probably get the beast flying!!! You're not planning to have an actual flying Tiffy are you??? The PE does look nice!

Those track looking interesting....are they any better than Friulmodel ones??

Hi Rich. Thank you for your interest. I've used the Airfix motor in 1/48 aircraft builds before and I'm hoping it fits okay here. I have some tiny motors I normally use in 1/72 but they are more fiddly to install. 

The Eduard PE is a nice set but I'm not sure how much I will use yet.

The Skybow tracks are very nice - you can see how they went together in my Tiger STGB thread. I cannot compare them with Fruils though as I have never used any.

On 05/06/2019 at 17:27, rob85 said:

Cool! I remember you last one, it was fantastic! Looking forward to this.

Rob

I was wondering if anyone could remember my last D-Day GB project! I'll post some photos of it soon - as a reminder.

On 05/06/2019 at 20:53, Hubba said:

Oh I do love a Typhoon, shame I'm so hopeless with aircraft

Never mind, I'll enjoy watching yours come together instead

Thank you Hubba.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 3

Of course it’s remembered! It’s the reason I tried to build the 1/72 Airfix typhoon.... I never finished it but that’s my own fault, and I hope to rectify that now I have two in the stash! 

It it will be good to see how you display this after you did the little rockets in flight on the last one.... no pressure 

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Of course it’s remembered! It’s the reason I tried to build the 1/72 Airfix typhoon.... I never finished it but that’s my own fault, and I hope to rectify that now I have two in the stash! 

It it will be good to see how you display this after you did the little rockets in flight on the last one.... no pressure 

Rob

Hi Rob. I have an idea about how I'm going to display this 1/48 project but it will depend how it works when I have the component parts assembled. The final display/scene for the last D-Day GB project was totally different from how I initially imagined it - it got a lot bigger apart from anything else! So there may be some experimenting like last time!

I have done some work on the Tiger 1 but, as I'm building that in the Tiger STGB as well, I'll only post finished photos of sections of a build rather than everything. If you are intersted in seeing how the stuff below reached the point it has then please feel free to check out the thread here:

I have completed the tracks - they started like this:

47980520481_ed6fd0c891_h.jpg

47980466223_4e77a4c3a7_h.jpg

And ended up like this:

48002478177_bb4abfc8c4_h.jpg

Details of their assembly can be found here:

I have also done the painting and started the weathering on the running gear - they currently look like this:

48030992768_4c96cfb35a_h.jpg

48030954701_bb45de6230_h.jpg

48030954571_57c87282a0_h.jpg

Details of all the painting and weathering stages for the running gear can be found here:

In the same post linked above there are details about how I assembled the parts on the upper and lower hull:

48025023478_a928a30bb6_h.jpg

48024995166_0eea4853ba_h.jpg

...got some chipping done on the Zimmerit using a scalpel blade:

48030974006_619dd0625d_h.jpg

48030974106_a1363c6cd8_h.jpg

...and then got the lower hull painted using thinned Revell's Ochre Brown - applied with a medium wide flat brush :

48031018513_db1d619d50_h.jpg

48031083552_34a33e520e_h.jpg

48031083622_c96a8bc489_h.jpg

Once the paint was fully dry I applied my usual initial weathering processes and this is the state of play at the moment:

48031030353_6dff7ce5e8_h.jpg

48031095192_18583044e4_h.jpg

As I said - for more details about how I got here please see the links above.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

I'm going to get the Typhoon out at the weekend for an initial look.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 11

That’s amazing, boy you can paint armour!! I’m going to spend my afternoon reading your tips within this thread to see if I can borrow some of your techniques. Nice build so far, I really want to build something armoured and making the tracks looks tedious but rewarding...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio. Hope you are well. Nice to have you here - are you going to be taking part in this GB?

I'm all right, Sitx, thank you :thumbsup: Not taking part to this GB though - the Typhoon I'm currently building is a Eurofighter Typhoon ... sorry for my lame attempt at some humor, when I defined it "slightly more recent" :banghead: :D 

Looking forward to works starting on your Tiffie :) 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Your usual very high standard of painting and weathering already Stix.

The wheels look very nice indeed and the tracks look really good too, I don't think I have the patience for it but you make it look easy and always do a great job. My favourite addition is actually a removal, the removal of pieces of zimmerit, a very nice touch that will add great realism to the look of the finished model.

• Thanks 1

On 11/06/2019 at 12:51, Valkyrie said:

That’s amazing, boy you can paint armour!! I’m going to spend my afternoon reading your tips within this thread to see if I can borrow some of your techniques. Nice build so far, I really want to build something armoured and making the tracks looks tedious but rewarding...

Thank you very much Valkyrie - you are most kind!

On 11/06/2019 at 12:56, giemme said:

I'm all right, Sitx, thank you :thumbsup: Not taking part to this GB though - the Typhoon I'm currently building is a Eurofighter Typhoon ... sorry for my lame attempt at some humor, when I defined it "slightly more recent" :banghead: :D 

Looking forward to works starting on your Tiffie :) 

Ciao

Hi Giorgio. It's a shame you are not taking part - would have been great! No - I did understood what you meant! I have started a bit on the Typhoon but only sorting out the issue around the cockpit inserts. Please see below.

On 11/06/2019 at 17:00, modelling minion said:

Your usual very high standard of painting and weathering already Stix.

The wheels look very nice indeed and the tracks look really good too, I don't think I have the patience for it but you make it look easy and always do a great job. My favourite addition is actually a removal, the removal of pieces of zimmerit, a very nice touch that will add great realism to the look of the finished model.

Hi Craig. As always - you are way too kind, but thank you.

This past weekend I have been concentrating on the Tiger - well on it's....many..... wheels!

And this is where I am with them at the moment:

48073496826_1cf75d19a6_h.jpg

48073602087_c2557b6906_h.jpg

Details of how I got to that point can be found here in my Tiger STGB thread:

With regards the Italeri/Hasegawa Typhoon - I got the parts all washed in warm soapy water on Saturday morning plus I got some photos taken of the contents of the box.

The 4 possible versions that can be made:

48065594832_9add4f4066_h.jpg

- I'm currently planning on making the one from 247 Squadron.

48065594697_733a1f3679_h.jpg

48065539873_b556a229dd_h.jpg

48065594442_7c2ae35bfd_h.jpg

The infamous cockpit inserts - if you don't know about these already - I will explain below:

48065539643_aaf91f1ffa_h.jpg

Clear parts:

48065491366_77b1a8b141_h.jpg

Decals:

48065594317_b78ae72fa9_h.jpg

Sample of the instructions:

48065539413_6a2cc46caf_h.jpg

The scheme for the one I'm planning to make:

48065594127_e82a90ccd8_h.jpg

As mentioned higher up - I'm going to be using some Eduard etch as well - but not all of it!!:

48065490381_01b71e7bc1_h.jpg

48065490241_a79494fd6b_h.jpg

Late yesterday afternoon I decided to tackle the issue with the cockpit inserts. You may or may not be aware that this kit was originally manufactured by Hasegawa. To maximise the usage of the moulds they designed the fuselage halves so that differnt versions of the Typhoon could be built with the variations being provided by different inserts. The problem is that the inserts do not fit very well!!:

48073673057_0f827ad32a_h.jpg

The photo above shows my initial test fitting with no glue. I decided that I would glue these in place so the centre line is the level part. This results in the gap at the bottom and some of the panel lines being mis-aligned.

So to get them to fit as best they would - I first taped the fuselage halves together and sat both inserts in place:

48073566446_8dc50a2806_h.jpg

This is the gap with the tops level on the starboard side - the one I decided to glue first:

48073566381_8a969f1a37_h.jpg

Then glued in place - front and back only - not where the gap is:

48073611863_cf95e14ab2_h.jpg

Once the starboard insert was set firmly in place I then glued the port insert in place and taped it firmly to the starboard insert:

48074912133_8193c7be23_h.jpg

Close up of the gaps once the glue was fully set:

48074976507_a96b9dff44_h.jpg

48074976387_faf42129ea_h.jpg

The port insert obviously had the bigger gap.

Now at this stage I didn't want to be messing about with filler so I hunted through my plastic strip supplies and found two suitable thickness of styrene. I had to scrape and sand both of the different thicknesses of plastic strip down because - as you will be able to see - the gaps taper at one end. Once I got them to fit fairly tightly I glued them in place from inside the cockit - this was the result:

48074911588_032b3b97d9_h.jpg

They fitted rather well. I now need to smooth them down level and figure out what I am going to do about the issues with the panel lines.

Looking at the inserts from above (they are not glued to each othe yet) I think there is only the front of the port insert that will require some filler and rescribing:

48074976327_532df38ea8_h.jpg

More next weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

A great start on your Tiffie Stix, Hasegawa really did make a bad job of making sure their optional parts actually fit didn't they, I imagine if some other manufacturers had made the same error then people would be jumping up and down about it. Nice to see that you are one of those that just gets on with things and sorts them out, and very nicely too.

The Tiger is coming on a treat too, the wheels look great, very realistic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/06/2019 at 17:19, Robert Stuart said:

That looks like a good start Stix, with an excellent explanation of the Italeri (ne Hassegawa) Typhoon cockpit gap issue, and your solution.

Hi Robert and thank you. I can't claim all the stuff for the solution - I did some hunting online and combined a couple of ideas - we'll see if they work in the long run!

On 17/06/2019 at 18:45, modelling minion said:

A great start on your Tiffie Stix, Hasegawa really did make a bad job of making sure their optional parts actually fit didn't they, I imagine if some other manufacturers had made the same error then people would be jumping up and down about it. Nice to see that you are one of those that just gets on with things and sorts them out, and very nicely too.

The Tiger is coming on a treat too, the wheels look great, very realistic.

Hi Craig and thank you for your comments. Yes it is a bit of a gaff on Hasegawa's part and such a shame because the rest of the kit seems pretty well done. You would have thought they would have done some checking before shipping them out. Shame all the comapnies that have reboxed it haven't bothered to make corrected inserts too - probably not worth the cost.

On 17/06/2019 at 21:57, giemme said:

Ingenious solution for the fuselage inserts, Stix! :clap::worthy:

Ciao

Not all my own idea Giorgio but thank you all the same.

Over the past couple of evenings I have done a bit of work on the Typhoon. Firstly I have been working on cleaning up around the inserts and started work on the panel lines. Some filler has been involved in a couple of places - but I think, overall, the inserts are getting there. The photos aren't great as I had to take them late on yesterday evening:

48088461772_4accb3d3ee_h.jpg

I have also tidied up the insides where I had to glue the inserts in from:

48088364566_e1d7bbcf55_h.jpg

I also decided I wanted to sort how the motor is going to be installed with regards the propeller. This is what Hasegawa have the prop attached to:

48088364911_e2c4159e2e_h.jpg

- I should have taken a photo of the actual area before I started but I forgot.

First of all I cut away the pin, found the centre of the remaining disc area and drilled it out with a drill slightly larger than the drive shaft:

48088402478_7fc5416d37_h.jpg

And this is how the motor will sit inside:

48088364686_af2840e854_h.jpg

I will still need to add some packing between the sides of the motor and the inside faces of the exhaust supports - to get the motor to sit centrally and straight.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

And this is how the motor will sit inside:

{snip}

I will still need to add some packing between the sides of the motor and the inside faces of the exhaust supports - to get the motor to sit centrally and straight.

Looks like a plan Stix.  Looks pretty close in there, do you need to worry about cooling?

• Thanks 1