TSR2 The Hard Way

16 hours ago, bar side said:

cheers @tomprobert I think a lot of this could be your fault with your 1/32 Shakelton build.  I enjoyed watching that & got the bug!  There is something about starting with a picture and a sheet of plastic and that beats some kits

Ha! Glad to be of service!

Must get back to the big Shack one day... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

yes Tom we want to see the shak back!  have looked at 1/48 vacform as I do remember the sights & sounds of flying Shakektons & Gannets.  got to love a contra rotating prop

• Like 1

When you mentioned the a-frame behind the gear leg, I was thinking you were referring to the hinged pieces behind the oleo. This is the torque link. If you meant the flat piece inside the gear bay then @stever219 is correct.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

So back from hols & back to the TSR2.  Suppose it never got a nick name as it never got in to service.  Anyway the canopy outsides are painted

f3yCoNu8RsKKXYw5mB7XdHn3uwAp5fyb9SSQIBoi

And for some absurd reason I added handles to the canopy inside

cAo4PV8nw6jLUSvqSaqF-NMwcYY46jD8fetLlcKt

And then thought why not stick on the main decals.  Had a problem here - the cover sheets had stuck to the main rounders.  It wouldn’t soak off either, so I have done the best I can with them and hope they will clean up a bit when they dry.  Only the number left in the kit decals to do, so will need to scare up some warning triangles etc from the spares box

8F8dV0KbhajgvNysbNNFTiyG3xKIMcyziCX5dlpQ

Still has wheel well and bomb bay doors to finish & attach

• Like 8

On 5/30/2019 at 3:01 PM, Mr T said:

I still shudder thinking about the Merlin kit of the same aircraft .......

Long before Airfix eventually got round to producing the TSR2 I found a Merlin kit with the intention of building the various fuselage sections to create my own moulds to produce some in resin with plastic card wing and tail surfaces but could not find any two parts that came anywhere close to fitting together and by the time filler and the like were used  to complete the sub-assemblies no two were of a similar height/width to fit together without far more work than I had the skills to manage yet I do believe that some very talented individuals, perhaps more practiced in the magical arts than the mythical Merlin himself, managed somehow to do a good job with the kit when it was the only injected-moulded example available.

However this thankfully is not the Merlin kit and looks magnificent.

• Haha 2

You are right, I got as far as getting the wings and fuselage together and matching, but was very hard work as nothing fitted. As much flash as kit and bits of mould. Would love to know where the master came from. I remember doing major work on the tail surfaces to reduce them to anything near prototypical thickness. 

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 1

Right decals on, serial number applied and wheel bay doors on.  Probes & aerials added.  Bomb bay doors still to be done, then some FOD covers & rbf tags?

iOpH1vmHbPS_mq6gYMLgEiA9ZuTbKRQHmAAeOvev

oj5dIPE7C90yvcHS_ESukm_5vb2Zn1CXILSP9Mm9

ipX3dOmdJ93GYucH8lFtj4A2YUkvjPCttDag9Jvg

• Like 9

Wow, she's looking absolutely fabulous! Wait, haven't I heard that somewhere before? 

Great work, I'm really looking forward to seeing the RFI.

Ian

• Like 2

Got the bomb bay doors on this morning

kaRcnnl-L9hima7cDa6BajueZFNxqMSyK2WS92qG

And then had a go at FOD covers & rbf tags.  So she is about done.  I will take some pics outside when it is slightly better weather & then do an RFI.  Until then I thought some comparisons were needed.  They call the Jaguar a mini TSR2.  Or is that the TSR2 should be a Super Jag?

CYRKlpPQ3oQVxrUlBzJigOt6FkgJ4Rr2DroUiGnQ

mk4SeAihfKiwhEn2KsV9Lo3TCVQMmQ8z8kI1WBil

And as the F-111 was due to replace the cancelled TSR2, this is an FB-111 in USAF SEA camo Should be an F-111F) Not a lot of size difference

CcIyn4DtINld9HWzppDjJl1PIqWzxs7vwPp0mCGW

So that might be about it for the build.  Thanks for following!

• Like 9

Cheers guys.  As I said along the way I hVe enjoyed the more than many out of the box kits.  I was a bit gutted when I missed out on another vacform on eBay this week, but I will keep looking.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Very elegant work on this White Bird, @bar side! Congratulations! :party:

P.S. Just re-read the previous nine pages and can’t find this build «The Hard Way» - maybe just because you’re feeling mojo all the time?!

Cheers Nikolay - just the hard way as I could have got the Airfix kit.  The general advice on the Contrails kit seems to be don’t bother but I think she turned out ok

• Like 2