TSR2 The Hard Way

Looking amazing. I’m also a fan of pencilled on panel lines and over going it again it looks more realistic that trenches I think. 

More in scale too :) 

Cheers @Martian Hale - like seeing sitting there on the side each day.  I feel it will take a while to fully finish her but I am not in a rush.

thanks @robvulcan not really tried it before.  I did once try sharpie drawn panel lines and that was interesting!  Have to try these things

She's really starting to look the part now. Please go easy on the panel lines, there's nothing worse (in my opinion!) than overdone panel lines making it look like a flying crossword puzzle!

Ian

• Like 1

Cheers guys.  Got a bit done today.  Started building the A frame that sits behind the front wheel 

ZoxMwsMsOIYeHJ4Uktk77_TUpl0ojVxdu1THAXrD

And took advantage of the warm evening to spray the white coat.  So in a very non AC/DC way she is back in white

QaCvwQkkkWoySt3nBnXqNcY9MXTOXv52uy_LPSQr

Tyres have been painted too.  Still thinking of putting the cut out photo hubs on

oCXmQg8vnSYa9_wqGPrsmX34_4pf9iITnVcMMa8n

And painted the main legs white

zC7Vo3pjYgmAV0ZT_kVYPDto0ospbom2OHqRqTK7

Pitot?

ZjtY4YXehxoKUUxoquKa-xGuhfkYUTaWKPJweWEL

And sitting on the painted tyres.  Front leg still needs final fitting out and painting. Back ones need the long joining axle cutting down

k7QjyZHGrpe3tdWyE3T0EkPSQ4r_93osqouYPvh5

• Like 12

Touched up the white today and painted the front undercarriage leg today.  Also cut down the axel on the main gear.  Stands ok without it, which is nice.  Must start the canopies

• Like 3

Had a first go at the canopies today.  The rear one needed some shaping up, so did that and then got one coat on the insides.  Then moved on to getting the outside of the windscreen painted.  This will need to be attach and the gaps filled and painted.  The two canopies need hinges adding, insides second coating and the outside paining.  They so far look like this

i7FZ5aHoM7u22aZS5m-KIXs3F3q9SOOF4GOYLfNm

The windscreen still has tape in it in case you were wondering!

• Like 7

Nice work on the wheel assemblies. The "A" frame behind the front wheel is a torque link. It stops the wheel assembly from rotating around the nose gear leg while still allowing it to slide up and down for suspension.

Ian

• Like 1

1 minute ago, limeypilot said:

The "A" frame behind the front wheel is a torque link. It stops the wheel assembly from rotating around the nose gear leg while still allowing it to slide up and down for suspension.

Cheers Ian.  I had assumed it was more to do with retraction.  Still can’t be sure there is one fitted to XR222 as she was never completed & I can’t see one in the photos of her, so based mine on someone else’s model I am afraid!

There will always be one fitted to an oleo type strut, it's essential. I had one come apart on landing once, the entire wheel rotated around the leg and jammed. Wasn't pretty!

Ian

• Like 2

@limeypilot ouch! That sounds bad.

Few more bits ticked off today.  The undercarriage is all now glued in place and the canopies have hinge extensions added.  Still need more detail & painting on the outside.  But she looks like this now

CXJB63g1KOTH8ObcQe1iJG9sfdutYA6qjN6kuaPK

And the I blutaced her wheel & bomb bay doors on to see how she will look.  The doors need internal detail adding and the bomb bay doors need open / close actuators.  The nose wheel doors need splitting in to two parts.  Then she might be ready for decals.  

uqawgZ3Sh5mif6h9DVqVqVBqfuV3CRJki0gNGloP

However summers hols will now stop play for a couple of weeks, so this is probably as far as I can get it before then

• Like 9

Well the aim was to get it done before heading off, so not bad, nearly made it.  Daughter will no doubt try to spend 2 weeks in the pool, and when she isn’t will be searching for free WiFi.  I might have to just sit poolside with a book & a beer. 

Tis the perfect time to Stop and rest a bit. An excellent job.Not too shabby on the F4 either. You are in the home stretch. Have an excellent time reclining by the pool in contemplative solitude with said book and beer.

Cheers @LorenSharp I think I could try to rush things & make a mess.  There are some bits that I am not fully happy with but I think they will now stay as they are.  The F-4 FGR2 came out nicely and is just one of the 5 Phantoms I have, with another in a box waiting to get built!  Strange to think they ended up being the TSR2 replacement in some roles.  But for now I am looking forward to a break away.

• Like 1

Cheers @Nikolay Polyakov 

Nothing more done today but these are a couple of shots of the underneath.  As I said the doors are just on with blu tac and have no internal detail yet

oHJllOrMoEnnWIy-p3RC7wEYxdw9rTHIYUf9qqwR

zimJ3IyWs9d1PQGPjy7mF97jfzcJlq17t0WH2bRJ

5dt7a1k52wZ--1aMcpT1r6qLYGWb8nxgP5ZqbDAb

And the front leg needs a couple of lights adding too.

Anyway enough for now - hols are calling

• Like 6

I’m going to agree with limeypilot on one point and disagree on another.

Surface detail on this jet needs to be restrained; big dark panel lines just won’t work.  The almost all-white finish of Britain’s nuclear strike aircraft of the late fifties and early sixties was intended to give the jet and its crew as much protection from the flash and heat of weapon detonation as possible and, in general, the finish was well maintained and showed very few panel lines at a “normal” (yes, I know, “define normal”) viewing distance.  By the end of her all-too-brief flying life XR219 was looking quite grubby in places, particularly where hot air from the flap blowing ducts impinged and/or local airflow stuck airborne grot to the fuselage sides but she was just a flying test bed and not subject to Service servicing and maintenance routines.

The disagreement relates to the “A”-frame behind the nosewheel leg: this is, indeed part of the undercarriage support and retraction mechanism.  You may be able to find “walk around” images showing that there is a pivot part-way along it which allows it to fold as the leg retracts.  IIRC the retraction jack acts on the rear section of this frame, rather than on the leg itself.  The two sets of torque links are further down the leg on the oleo sections.  All of the early TSR2 airframes had extending nosewheel legs to increase angle of attack for short take-offs and/or operations from partially prepared strips.  The experience with XR219 showed that take off performance was better than expected (one of the few areas where the aeroplane, as it was at that stage of its development, met or exceeded the design specification) so the extending leg was scheduled for deletion from around XS660.  One set of torque links spans the oleo section (the suspension part of the leg) and the other the extending section.

My apologies if someone has already covered this or if I am trying to teach grown modellers to suck eggs but my attention span and concentration seem to be conspicuous by their absence lately.

Further apologies to Bar Side: what you’ve done so far with this kit defies description; had I not known I wouldn’t have believed that you’d started out with the original Contrail kit.  Lovely job sir.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 2

Thanks @stever219 useful information.  As I am going to give her serial XR222 she will be a non flyer, so only grot collected while sitting on the ground.  Although there is some variation already as I haven’t included the bomb bay test equipment and 222 was never completed - she probably looks the most complete she ever has at Duxford today.

Got to say the Contrail body has been more of a starting point, but that was my decision quite early on.  Few bits still to finish her off though.

• Like 2

This is coming together really well - you’ve really brought this old vac to life with the extra detail you’ve added along the way.

I simply love threads like this - plastic card and filler being the order of the day which, combined with a bit of creativity, produce some superb results the old fashioned way. Great stuff!

• Like 3

cheers @tomprobert I think a lot of this could be your fault with your 1/32 Shakelton build.  I enjoyed watching that & got the bug!  There is something about starting with a picture and a sheet of plastic and that beats some kits