TSR2 The Hard Way

Building fiddly bits on the main undercarriage legs at the moment

ji-B9-gkaVYNxZpPgwWCpj1XyNyMgEwckVWj51Ov

And the bits assembled

Szciwp5O_K3Ou9tcT0IYbnesno4npp-yrNCvuc1c

And where it will sit

duMZYjkX1SrY5emQSqiN6wYLhWSWFLat3BX90JCR

i suspect they are too long, but once the double bogie is in front I doubt t will stand out.  Started looking too at the points for hanging the bogie shocks and rotation kit but more on that another day

• Like 7

I haven't had a chance to get anything done recently and not going to for the next few days I am afraid.  Was hoping to get front undercarriage further & maybe some paint on before summer hols come around.  Not feeling so confident of that at the mo.  Oh well ce la vie

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, bar side said:

I haven't had a chance to get anything done recently and not going to for the next few days I am afraid.  Was hoping to get front undercarriage further & maybe some paint on before summer hols come around.  Not feeling so confident of that at the mo.  Oh well ce la vie

Whenever life allows you the time to make progress... I'd love to spend all my time doing this hobby and reading about everyone's builds, but sometimes it's weeks between bench time and even longer between updates. Can't be helped. We'll be here when you get back to the bench. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, chrislowe said:

Whenever life allows you the time to make progress... I'd love to spend all my time doing this hobby and reading about everyone's builds, but sometimes it's weeks between bench time and even longer between updates. Can't be helped. We'll be here when you get back to the bench. 

Thats very true and sometimes it works to your advantage. The past 3 years life got mad busy for me and was a challenge to say the least.

i was frustrated to be away for so long and whilst that’s a bit extreme time wise it’s actuallt paid dividends as certain stalled builds have had things done to them

that would not have happened years ago because of a new approach or technique etc or new ideas.

so sometimes the wait is part of the process. :)

• Like 5

Cheers guys.  I started this as I thought I would get a pretty good run of time & I have so can’t complain.  Got a few minutes on the front wheel assembly tonight.  Glued the nail inside the tube & added some more bits

9Ja3FLlVocV3O9KbsJb0Dhpi4g1RkYR75Hr-yBMy

There are plates to go on the front & back plus braces coming from them on both sides.  Lamps on the front, steering mechanism to build.  Then the kind of A frame back raising / locking mechanism.  And a few wires & bits.

Had a look at the hub of the main wheels.  On the right is the standard wheel.  On the left is a scale print of a photo of the real wheel.  Not going to get that much detail but it will need something I think

H9-AylHlHhxZS_BCfDaWY2hkRzIJPPhwMmvZ0Xlt

just a laugh have a close look at the moulded wheel studs on the right.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bar side said:

Had a look at the hub of the main wheels.  On the right is the standard wheel.  On the left is a scale print of a photo of the real wheel.  Not going to get that much detail but it will need something I think

H9-AylHlHhxZS_BCfDaWY2hkRzIJPPhwMmvZ0Xlt

Just a thought - why not go with the printed photo? Fooled me at first glance. Nice 3D effect on the hub as well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Just a thought - why not go with the printed photo? Fooled me at first glance. Nice 3D effect on the hub as well.

That’s why I printed it off.  Did about 16 copies so I could try it out & not loose them.  The print out is a bit dark - might lighten them up & try again

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bar side said:

without photo etch or resin

Indeed. 

If your budget allows, Armory do a very tidy looking set of resin wheels and tires. Our big yellow friend stocks them IIRC... 

If you don't want to go down that route, I'd be tempted to use the scale print as a template to drill some of that detail into the wheel, and paint the rest. More fun than just buying the resin version, perhaps?

16 hours ago, bar side said:

This was my starting photo - not sure how you could get near to that without photo etch or resin

l98QNKKjHf6fUpHLvkU75Q3Xow1SFJdd5LDidG4D

Decal perhaps. You cant see much definition here in 1/1 so in your scale decal would be the finest option perhaps 

• Like 2

Bit more work on the front undercarriage.  Still needs some pipes & lights, then I can start on the A-frame behind it

cSBooDrCysF9ZzpWmmbGkjX7tsr_7Bh2wbOO6Vd8

So these are the three together.  Beside them are my new print wheel hubs.  Could work with these I think.  And just for comparison the part parts

E0qBRm5K3gjwsiqx5nT5FORvHVIiNqtxO7PlcCaA

Keep wondering how good the finish is on the body & seeing Tom’s B-52 in primer I thought I would see how she would look

qYicKz-osInlsfDte0w1YpZTkYt9cEUKhpPA8qWL

And the answer is better than I thought!  The rescribed panel lines stand out nicely and most joins look ok.  The front section & nose are not as bad as feared, but will need another quick coat of filler & sand back

8nq3g4M96-NRI8BRneWiHH1OuOxBcobf6Au1NzZ5

The intakes have come come out really well.  I have had plenty of kits with worse part fit!

• Like 9

Cheers @LorenSharp it’s coming on ok.

Added the aux intake doors today - need sanding down when they are set.  Also a random red bit underneath that I think will survive painting.  Hole made to attach the pitot.

aagrFU1vhKMRE3yU3KopHkl6vxIaodK9KogbMeKF

also made up a replacement for the missing main wheel well door.  Toying with using liquid green on that side seam.  Scribed the panels low on the nose area.

• Like 4

So green stuff on the seam and it looks worse but is smoother

kVNw5FiDYleSOtTTlOurvm-g4mGEigf6kyVNpSHV

And after a quick coat of paint to check it

3vpbH1W-C1nG1eHLlF22QZsaPCoTD-AJP7OfIjQD

So temporarily appearing in low viz grey.  Looks quite at home in that colour.  The aim is to give an even base before putting on the white. That mix of grey white & green would have been visible through several coats

Xag9rOhb2xx5WCLBAXoMpttySXIsESLhum5guCIb

The wheels are still not complete but getting there

u8iayDghqj5dbaXARPrsHvCSW82jqQrNGXnSPYdl

Gave the wheel and bomb bay doors a coat too

zcvk8S0sc8Yol1Xy-knI-1RxWOkGiOvmut6fWX5W

So wheels need finishing off, canopy and paint.  Sounds easy...

• Like 6

Was thinking about preshading & the white will show up quite a lot I suspect.  I thought I would pencil draw the panel lines over the scribed lines so that something will show, although as 222 never flew there are not going to be much by way of wear & tear.  The canopies are balanced on.  The windscreen is ok & really just needs painting inside & out.  The front cockpit canopy shape is about right, but the back isn’t really shaped yet

pUjyxA6mc3saUQ3LuO6-0CnKsdtA1CIMO-LVnnfb

• Like 7