TSR2 The Hard Way

Tail is still only pushed on but she is starting to look the part

IsDuakigjZIGOaS_OkiPNR1GPtOVzhGs9xHbeXEV

ThinkI will paint around the back before fixing on the tail.  Starting to think about wheels, bay doors & canopies now

• Like 4

Cheers guys.  Exciting day tomorrow as I am off to Duxford so time to get some more reference photos of XR222.  Been a while since I was last there.

In the mean time been having a look at the main undercarriage.  The legs don’t come straight down - according to this pic they go out by about 18 degrees

tsrarticle2sn_2.jpg

So this is the kit offering & I have a plastic tube of about the right diameter.  Won’t bend well & take weight so I have cut down & bent two nails to fit inside& strengthen things up

0uL-l8gbMSz0LsRDYxupw4tPneTef7pgfnfmobd6

Would like something like this

mciEnArHtWn4aJyO6eqdPm2Ucb2po1KouKOX-BEv

Think I will get the legs together & start building up the extra bits to add on.  Plus get some more pics to work from

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Getting Old said:

You didn't want an easy model did you :shrug:

To be honest you only needed to look at the kit parts to know these would get rebuilt.  So no point in doing the rest & then not improving these.  But at least I have wheels to work with. On a full scratch build wheels are one of the things that scare me most!

• Like 1

One things for certain, this main gear is sturdier than the design  Airfix came up with. I thought about getting the SAC TSR2 Gear to fix the sagging "Old Lady" look on mine, but I like your idea better. Waaaay more robust.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Waaaay more robust.

Yes and way more starting from scratch!  Been getting reference pics today of XR222

9UuK8Syj-JRl0ldf4toeM55vKL7g-dbxn6XN9hys

enqsMAQ3B6rS_Hd_D9ZBQgO9GTbs1A9eUocDiM1C

-aEY1KR6Zq_FakHqWZ2SmSOD_ySn0MJdBXXoJuU0

It little things like the main main legs are not only at 18 degrees outwards but slightly backwards too

50-_Gv7XmgoC54ObqPXCCQ33_akEu_wwKE3JtCGv

And found i was missing bits under the exhausts 

GtoFxh0dWCj46qfdWMdENbbe57xos2Mi2RTr0gbJ

so back to working on the back end for now

• Like 4

Have been looking t the exhausts and there is a lifting section in the middle - parachute hatch?

STTerwKqiBGar9dX1wcYMK9U6vXuG2NvBzRF5eZn

Will need to go where the pencil lines are

Fwf9IMplex8KPLYGVjozNEPA4_fwnmWH5nyFoqrq

And underneath

jXaASgTGOkFc5wUWu6UuoQJ8d5n9s0mYaJ3KN3Xy

Something a bit like this?

bVSF1dL8oZB1bOpPMVUd9LkcwmrqVfRBvsuTB1UK

• Like 6

Nice improvements!

I don't see any kink to the vertical at the lower end of the main gear though, it's a straight line all the way from top to bottom. If you want a vertical bit it should be inside, between the leg and the wheel.

Ian

• Like 1

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Nice improvements!

I don't see any kink to the vertical at the lower end of the main gear though, it's a straight line all the way from top to bottom. If you want a vertical bit it should be inside, between the leg and the wheel.

Ian

Bit of artistic & blutac license with the bottom of the leg.  The real bottom end will look a bit different & straight.  Test fit of the top parts today as the tubes are glued on to the nails

CXqsw__cQOOHETLselySigrC95hxa8bxW2eybHEt

Angles Lloyd look good.  Got to make another door as I only got one in the kit.  Guess the previous owner lost it.

Scribed the parachute bay at the back and added some of the thinnest strip I have to represent the lines on back.  They are a bit over sized but there is something there now, plus the hinges

j1GdS1Iozgbm3zltMh2YeIfFgJLjzhIztNT5kpZq

• Like 3

Thinking those strips are still too thick & it would look better with just scribed lines. Looked back at the pencil lines and they looked better!

• Like 1

So took  sandpaper to the raised strips this morning expecting them to come off quickly.  They didn’t so I sanded them down a lot thinner & then repainted.  Drying now so I will put a pic up later.

For now carrying on with the main undercarriage.  Main leg shocks added pls the end.  This is drilled through at an angle to attach the bogies. These have been drilled through too so a strong wire will take the weight.  Lots to add to the legs & bogies but judges no by the visit to XR222 this week there are not a lot of cables

CePFwZ_9B_FksuFGx7_VfnEagUMfu67yEt5ch1HX

uhlxemM7GqcXczq4vpBA0U0QKi4Rk9bNi8chCjUO

ivepHQ-rXqp25s527u_9zWmpAui7zoDhxfw7MDhE

• Like 3

Pic of the back end after a sand and repaint.  Think I can live with it now

1WM3L32fiPU8DXPhU0IeyAK1uGyuonN8sEWh5L8P

And now trying out the wheels.  Of course they will not be on a single axle when finished!

ZH0IwjZSqU6l2h0SInx_XZR0Ifd9ypw5m__pX-Y3

3DZCvJD5cCMsD2JTlU5B_spWDWpvN8lYHy2XDNIm

helps to check the level though

• Like 6

Hi,

Wow this is nice piece of work!! You are much braver than I will ever be, tackling this kit is quite the undertaking!!

I have some reference photos from XR220 at RAF Cosford. I’m happy to post them up here if you would like them?

Neal

• Like 1

Cheers @NealParkes close up detail shots always appreciated.  I have used the walkaround on Thunder & Lightning a lot plus took some photos the other day

https://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/tsr2/walkaround.php

I am doing XR222 as seen at Duxford so there are some detail differences from XR220, although since 222 was never completed it’s a little bit of guess work

• Like 1