TSR2 The Hard Way

24 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

I think it’s a good idea, but if you’re looking at the photos, it’s a bit less than a semicircle. Just a bit.

It’s an odd place here.  Must be if I’m normal

yes, see what you mean about the not quite semi circular

dsj_tsr2_02.jpg

Question is if I cut the lid down will it then be too small.  Plus the cone inside needs to be cut down too.  It seems that the intakes come out almost in line with the body edge.  And sit on a plate against the fuselage side.  I am tempted to try to slightly squash the lid to see how it behaves 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bar side said:

It’s an odd place here.

Exactly.

44 minutes ago, bar side said:

Question is if I cut the lid down will it then be too small.

Just cut so small - a bit less than we’re talking about...

47 minutes ago, bar side said:

I am tempted to try to slightly squash the lid to see how it behaves 

Ah, that’s the best idea! 👍

• Like 1

Couple of bits today.  The wings are together & they have a nice curve under the leading edge.  Seems to have survived ok.  Next to the wings are the jet exhausts from the kit.  Have seen better!

dVIvmfyWyF42ecNpBXd5TQO0nK3n3e9dPxqNwqiT

Checking out the look of the front wheel.  The leg is going to get re-engineered but thought I would like to see what it looks like

UFRmgQXp7MLCnxpQhEnRjTQfKaM_ei97l4gwCKlv

So the new jet pipes won’t sit without some supports.  But in there they give the body some structure

mu7XACNKXb8w4o-C2Ema338KHsfj1UGRUr_n_-BK

just needed some bulkheads to keep it all in place.  Cardboard ones for now to make up a template.  One either end of the bomb bay which will be open.  Lots to do - change of curve in the jet pipes around the wheel wells.  Intakes need loads etc etc

yvT-wBzxN_f5zIR8VCK4frI65VsGFJ-K2ojENJ47

The body now fits quite neatly together with that internal structure

• Like 4

New bulkheads made wit( plasticard and the tubes are sitting a bit better.  That’s the top half with the tubes in & the bottom half next to it with the bomb bay doors marked out

GEKxw_9LTnXiJDt-AAeewWMxicYINz35VmyT8bGk

And with the bomb bay doors cut out

A7D0NXV0wlffaVW4oyeZ6HWCIaRkCUIo1rGyO4se

MEcR8deJWnGicmaqxE51brb7ahW3pwvq0DMraO-o

So the plan is to detail up the inside of the bomb bay and the small wheel wells, not the full front section which will stay closed

The reference thread posted by Nikolay gives some nice shots of resin parts to go in there

1354893497_P15.jpg

I was going to do the reduced width or sinuous section of the jet pipes you can see on the left.  However these are only seen in the front section of the wheel well that would hold the main wheels in flight.  As this section is staying closed I am going to leave it alone.  So you won’t see the bit open below, only the smaller bit to the right.

1354893615_R5.jpg

• Like 3

Great job on this one BS !!

Congratulations !!

I always loved the TSR 1 !!

So, I'll stayed a bit and looking over your shoulder !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Cheers CC.

Been looking at picks for the bomb bay.  Even some of the resin aftermarket parts include the test equipment in the bay, and don’t leave it clear.  So this is how it should look

tsr257b.jpg

This is XR222 at Duxford.  More orange than I thought

• Like 2

23 hours ago, bar side said:

Next to the wings are the jet exhausts from the kit.  Have seen better!

Looks like an old odd buckets - they’re not suitable for the flight!

3 hours ago, bar side said:

So the plan is to detail up the inside of the bomb bay and the small wheel wells, not the full front section which will stay closed

Excellent progress on a fuselage parts, @bar side:like:

3 hours ago, bar side said:

The reference thread posted by Nikolay gives some nice shots of resin parts to go in there

It’s a kit detail - not so bad, isn’t it? :happy:

Keep up the good work! :yes:

If that is kit detail then I should have saved up for the Airfix kit @Nikolay Polyakov

Started off today reenforcing the bomb bay opening - putting in some joining strips down the side.  The main wheels are sat behind.  Needs some work but I have seen worse

-r5q-m2uVyUScWJyVKuNqNbhac5l1P1MTLMbi-y_

I looked at the bits so far & decided they have something of a TSR2 scrap yard look

mxpnRSRkOkSPWDGmAK7JlGcwevD6gkJnn2azzrrt

So the next step is to put in a strip along the jet pipes between the bulkheads.  This kind of marks out the edges of the bomb bay and divides off the side wheel wells.  Then a flat plate between the pipes to make the bed.  All coming along

QMlACV814ds6ZS9hfDO-laSKOoYIbRMe5DI-bQJu

IlYPKd0-5vxkoGP0DaXp0wrHOszsquAlYQA4uq3m

Need to get the wheel wells sorted & build in a locating point for the main undercarriage legs, at an angle or with the legs suitable bent to show that they are not straight.  Then all of that bomb bat detail before the body can get closed up.  Then those pesky intakes

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

I like your engineering here, I think it would be very solid model in the end!

Think it needs it - not a lot of strength in the vacform plastic.  Shame most of it won’t be seen in the end

• Like 1

I got the masking tape & blu tac out to see how big bird will look

uzz3-SpWNLtCnpMDlMB9d2m6gxYmJZYKJjjIIdkx

By comparison with a little Turkish trainer

VC-CJOHYvfpHCsTM30QzzqiQ0eSzz4VTwSpMastA

Now if a kit had tail parts that fitted like this....  well the one on the left has been done, the right is waiting.  Well it has been done since this pick was taken

XLzUOCJYk7JsO_vNXX99DGnMdRwNm9ym54l-APlB

This is the kit internal bulkheads for the wheel wells.  Some interesting detail but more than a bit fictitious 

D29aHCRjBbZGF54k1igTgRfjQPuPz-ieX3NK8oi6

And above it is the internal structure I am building.  The wheel well back bulkhead is done, as is the floor

rhceMH3cusIeN0VRDXqELbdBUkChtPM87z5YREAk

And roughly where the wheels fit.  Need a bit of cutting down

WN466yjDPcN8orbRlBgtGuYS3g6z2kyyICtGJVjO

Has been quite a productive week & things keep on moving forward

• Like 2

Just to show that the wings & tail haven’t been neglected, here are the bits

eacmrgJ3VME8vWFeiw-pakKnEZ90SwpuS7ZhvP0w

The flaps are too long so the end needs to com off.  At the moment they would hit the body.  The tipped down tips are now being attached.

I have put in some tubing to hold the main undercarriage uprights.  So I started looking at the main kit parts.  This is how they look

9QP8ULKCEIVDpeMbdyrSs0Ag7hlnwqrMfq7yiI0Q

Gi6KLRAF0SHNBy2_zWUCel0nzx9AH1SGkLZXi0dL

Where to begin?  Chunky plastic sticks with the legs modelled fully extended.  And the front one has a second triangular bit on it that doesn’t exist.  Also look closely at the front view of the front leg.  The pins to attach the wheels aren’t even level.  Plus the rear legs need to be bent to show the angle of the real ones.  So I am wondering if i should remake the legs with tube & a metal or evergreen rod up the middle.

YtZCwpcptKw1op4FMCYyXjLKHaAUqMkfL09UClBb

And the real thing

front_undercarriage_tsr2_by_hanimal60_db

• Like 3

The kit undercarriage parts are so bad that I would be inclined to take a look at the Scale Aircraft Conversions set for the Airfix kit.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

The kit undercarriage parts are so bad that I would be inclined to take a look at the Scale Aircraft Conversions set for the Airfix kit.

Martian 👽

That’s a new supplier to me.  US based?  Any idea if they have a UK distributor as Hannant don’t stock them. Most likely to stick with scratch building something as that is the way this build has been going.  It’s nice looking things up to see what they should look like rather than assuming the kit maker got it right.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bar side said:

That’s a new supplier to me.  US based?  Any idea if they have a UK distributor as Hannant don’t stock them. 

Au contraire Blackadder!

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SAC48026

Martian 👽

PS; They also have a good selection of TSR2 wheels.

I remember reading a review of the Contrail 1/72 TSR-2 in Scale Models circa '76 and sent off for it immediately for it. I was sorely disappointed in its shape and buildability when it eventually arrived. Everyone who has dissed the Airfix kit should build the Contrail kit.

Kudos to the builder of the quarter scale version on this thread, and keep going is my motto.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1

I agree Tomahawk KId, the airfix kit was a pure pain in the backside to build. After seeing the way this build is turning out, I may have to go back and fix it. Gave me some good ideas.

• Like 1

Cheers @The Tomohawk Kid  By all accounts a lot of people binned the Contrails kits, both 1/72 & 1/48 which probably explains how I got this one cheap.  Got to say I enjoying the build & all its challenges.

Thanks @LorenSharp slightly dreading the intakes but otherwise it’s going ok.  And I am getting quite a bit of time on it at the moment which is good

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bar side said:

How did I miss that?  Very nice.  Cost me more than the kit did though!  Still tempted

I virtually rebuilt the entire u/c on the Airfix kit and nearly lost my marbles in the process, I guess comes down to the value you put on your sanity.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bar side said:

By all accounts a lot of people binned the Contrails kits, both 1/72 & 1/48 which probably explains how I got this one cheap.  

Perversely enough this kit is one I have been looking out for for some time now.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I virtually rebuilt the entire u/c on the Airfix kit and nearly lost my marbles in the process, I guess comes down to the value you put on your sanity.

Martian 👽

Ah, but you are assuming my sanity is still intact.  Sometimes starting things again is easier than trying to rebuild or improve what you have

• Like 2