Xtracolor + hairystick... good idea?

Doccur

Good morning,

I have put in an order from hannants and acquired some of their Xtracolor range. Apart from the obcenely long drying time, does anyone happen to have any advice regarding brush painting with these?

Cheers,

Ash

Edited by Doccur

Hi Ash.

I used to brush paint Xtracolor. It can be done just make sure that the paint dries thourghly. I let the first coat dry for 24 hours, and any second and third coat gets 48 hours each. That way I don't risk lifting the underlying coat.

Hope this helps.

/Bosse 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Marlin said:

Hi Ash.

I used to brush paint Xtracolor. It can be done just make sure that the paint dries thourghly. I let the first coat dry for 24 hours, and any second and third coat gets 48 hours each. That way I don't risk lifting the underlying coat.

Hope this helps.

/Bosse 

Thanks very much! Hopefully the quality of the finish is worth the test on my patience!

I suggest using a close match from the Humbrol range as the first coat, as this will provide superior coverage of the basic p!astic colour, particularly if this significantly contrasts with the final colour.  Rub down this base coat, and stir and stir and stir again the Xtracolour.  If in the end you find the Xtracolour unsatisfactory, try Jamie's Colour Coats.   Or Phoenix Precision Paints. We are not short of different paint products to experiment with.

• Like 1

When I used to use Xtracolour, I thinned them with a mix of white spirit and added a small amout of cellulose thinners, which helped the paint dry better. Xtracolour needs stirring a awful lot and first coats  often take a while to dry.

• Thanks 1

It's best to save a lot of time and simultaneously ensuring much superior mixing of paints by investing in a battery operated paint stirrer. It'll cost you under a tenner delivered and you'll wish you got one years ago. The paint will be mixed within the time taken to read this post much better than you could achieve stirring for several minutes with a stick.

• Like 5

The battery stirrer is probably the single greatest time saving tool I've purchased to date.  Well worth the minimal cash outlay.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Doccur said:

Apart from the obcenely long drying time,

try experimenting with driers,  (eg Rustins   https://www.rustins.ltd/rustins/our-products/decorating-products/paint-driers)  used to speed up drying of oil based paint, 

A special blend of chemicals to speed the drying of oil and alkyd based paints and varnishes. Particularly recommended for adding to old paint and varnish that has been kept for a long time, and has become slow drying. Add a capful of driers to 1/2 litre of paint or varnish and stir well. Sizes: 300ml

A bottle for model use will last a very long time...

see also

@Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies  about using specific or branded enamel thinners is a good idea.  cost a lot more than white spirit,  but you don't need much.   Jamie did a video of spraying, and pointed out that the paint he sells, if you use branded thinners you can pour unused paint back in the tin and it will be fine, which is not a good idea with white spirit.

Given the cost of model paint,  using a 'cheap' solvent is a false economy

white spirit is not the best thing to thin paint with, unless you get artist grade, which is more refined. The usual diy stuff is a bit greasy, it basically paraffin

(C12-C15 hydrocarbon mix) 

You could also experiment,  in a very well ventilated space,  zippo type lighter fuel,  as this will thin paint very well,  but evaporates really fast.   I used it with oil paint for a wash and it worked very well.  

I have used artists turpentine to thin gloss house paint,  it then went on like water and dried fast.     

HTH

• Like 1